• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Playerz1337

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2010
Statesville, NC
Hey,

I would like some input on your wind calls given various ranges & scenarios. Let's start with like 1,000 yards.

-10 mph wind at the shooter, no wind past 200 yards?
-5 mph wind at the target, 10 mph at shooter?
-15 mph at shooter, 5 mph at target?

Just trying to get some more information to help practice wind calls with varying winds.

Thanks

Edit: These are crosswinds btw.

Re: Wind Calls?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Playerz1337</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey,

I would like some input on your wind calls given various ranges & scenarios. Let's start with like 1,000 yards.

-10 mph wind at the shooter, no wind past 200 yards?
-5 mph wind at the target, 10 mph at shooter?
-15 mph at shooter, 5 mph at target?

Just trying to get some more information to help practice wind calls with varying winds.

Thanks

Edit: These are crosswinds btw. </div></div>buy a program like patagonia ballistics that has multiple range wind zones .
How would this help you to know this - I suggest youll have a hard time knowing what the wind is 800-1000 yards away .
There is another post on Mirage in this section you could join in and ask some questions on

Im with ch’e on this. Get a ballistic program if your not familiar shooting wind with your gun. there are so many variables if trying to do this with a unfamiliar round or multiple guns. A 5mph wind will have less effect on the bullet at 100 yards than it would if you didn't hit wind till 1000 yards and you try to figure in opposing winds will leave you with a hour of long hand multiplication. For example if Im shooting through 3 different cross winds with my 308 heres what it looks like a range i shoot often

150m: 10mph 9o’clock
380m: 5mph 2 o’clock
560m: 10mph 9 o’clock
I hold roughly for a 8mph wind if I’m shooting out to 600-700m
( This is based on the lay of the land, it is kinda mind blowing watching trace when you have opposing winds and your bullet looks like its weaving in and out of traffic)

I have Shooter and Strelok for ballistic apps and my velocity, drop data, windage for the caliber(s) I am using are correct.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Caliber?</div></div>

What does caliber matter? I just wanted input on what your overall wind call/adjustment would be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Comanche</div><div class="ubbcode-body">150m: 10mph 9o’clock
380m: 5mph 2 o’clock
560m: 10mph 9 o’clock
I hold roughly for a 8mph wind if I’m shooting out to 600-700m</div></div>

This is what I was looking for, like with all the variables what is your actual mph wind hold.

Like do you average the two or three seperate wind speeds or is your final adjustment/hold closer to the speed of the closer or distant wind?

I belive what Knight was getting at was depending on what caliber your shooting depends on how your going to figure in what you need to base your calculation on at diffent ranges. 300wm is more forgiving than say a 308 at your mid to long range. You can punch each number into your program and get the winds for each cross wind at its range and do the math. Im sure by the time you do that the winds will change and your back to where you started. Basicly to get rounds down range in a timely manner you just have to spend time behind the gun shooting in those conditions to be able to for see how your bullet is going to act in apposing winds. If your ahooting on a range like i describer earlier where the wind is pretty cosistent doing the math is worth it.

Two ways, observation and calculation.

As lifelong computer geek, I'll tell you that while calculation may appear to be the slam-dunk answer to such questions; it falls flat on its greatest weakness; the validity of the data that gets fed to it.

Simply put, it's very hard to get anything but estimates about downrange wind conditions. Rock solid solutions cannot be built on a foundation of estimates.

Learn how to assess (note, I do not say 'read') mirage by focusing the spotter scope at several intermediate distances. Then shoot under those conditions without making any effort to correct for wind, and see how such conditions actually deflect the bullet. It is by such observations, trial, and error that we gain reliable insight into wind employment.

That's right, I said 'employment'.

The wind is not an opponent. It is neither a good thing nor a bad thing; but what it definitely is, is a real thing. When we want real answers, we use real things.

A markeman learns to employ aiming offsets, the gravity, <span style="font-style: italic">and</span> the wind to ultimately guide the bullet <span style="font-style: italic">back into</span> the intended small impact zone.

Just as we aim upward and allow gravity to bend the trajectory back down onto the target, we also aim upwind and allow the wind to guide the same bullet back over into the same desired small zone.

It's a dance, and the wind is your partner. Seek her out, dance with her often, make her the ally you long to rejoin and caress with greatest satisfaction. Things go badly when the marksman and the wind have their squabbles. Guess who always wins.

Greg

Well said Greg and Comanche. Although that patagonia ballistics is out of my budget.

Follow up shots are made easy but I'd like to use a single final wind call for a first round hit instead. That way I'm more comfortable during a hunting scenario instead of relying on the 2nd shot correction. It also wouldn't hurt during target practice.

I think you're right, I do need more hours practicing with varying winds and less calculations.

You dont need the more expensive programs that do multiple wind zones. Just get your run of the millballistic program and input each wind zones info and get your corrections and add or subtract them and apply the final result. Thats basicly what Patagonia does but just does the math for you. Just out of couriosidy how many wind zones are you usualy shooting through?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Comanche</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Y<span style="color: #CC0000">ou dont need the more expensive programs that do multiple wind zones. Just get your run of the millballistic program and input each wind zones</span> info and get your corrections and add or subtract them and apply the final result. Thats basicly what Patagonia does but just does the math for you. Just out of couriosidy how many wind zones are you usualy shooting through? </div></div>Which run of the mill ballistics program has multiple wind zones ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Comanche</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just out of couriosidy how many wind zones are you usualy shooting through?</div></div>

Usually only two different winds. I can adjust/shoot fine in a constant wind, but just don't know how to calculate between the two. Like with elevation its a constant based on the angle, cosine, etc, but I don't see much math out there for adding/subtracting winds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Comanche</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Y<span style="color: #CC0000">ou dont need the more expensive programs that do multiple wind zones. Just get your run of the millballistic program and input each wind zones</span> info and get your corrections and add or subtract them and apply the final result. Thats basicly what Patagonia does but just does the math for you. Just out of couriosidy how many wind zones are you usualy shooting through? </div></div>Which run of the mill ballistics program has multiple wind zones ? </div></div>

Hopefully Strelok will have them soon. I've emailed the creator and had a quick discussion with him regarding this, he said he is going to try to find a way to accomplish this in a later update. If he really does, only time will tell.

Not multiple zones, just one zone. You would have to enter wind speed, direction for each wind zone. Get your corrections for each wind zone and add or subtract the differences and end up with your final wind hold.

Example: using Ballistic FTE app for iphone
8mph 90deg wind 175 yards down range=R .1 mil
8mph 270deg wind 350 yards down range=L .4 mil
10mph 90deg wind 670 yards down range=R 1.3 mil
My hold would be = R 1.0 mil

Keep in mind this is not accounting for the constant wind effecys placed on the bullet throughout flight but i have used this with consistant result.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Comanche</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Keep in mind this is not accounting for the constant wind effecys placed on the bullet throughout flight but i have used this with consistant result.</div></div>

I see what you're doing now, treating them as positive/negative vectors (for lack of a better word). The logic sounds right but I think I'm going to have to get faster at pushing buttons to get that in the ballistics app before the wind changes. But I do think that will get me a lot closer than guessing.

The only problem I can see is spin drift. If it is turned on in Shooter when I am getting the wind values, each one will have the correction for spin drift and ultimately added together.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Two ways, observation and calculation.

It's a dance, and the wind is your partner. Seek her out, dance with her often, make her the ally you long to rejoin and caress with greatest satisfaction. Things go badly when the marksman and the wind have their squabbles. Guess who always wins.

Greg </div></div>

Well said. Me and her seem to fight a lot though.

There's a lot to this point though: The situation you described shooting in requires some serious "dancing" lessons IOT get a shot off before that wind changes. Ballistics programs are great tools to get a feel for the wind, and my equation gives me close to the same hold (R1.1), but there's no way I'm plugging that in before the wind changes. A good ole S.W.A.G. at it can work too. What matters is you note the results of your shot and learn to dance a little better. Best of luck.
B.W.

Very Interesting, and saying that from Zero to 200 yds the wind is blowing 10 mph from right to left and after 200 yards there's no wind all the way to 1000 yards, we get the following: At 1000 yards, 20 inches or 1.9 MOA

9apl6d.jpg

Remember, if the wind stops at 200 yards, even though the wind isn't blowing anymore the bullet will continue on a different path anyways... It's not really as simply as other people may think.
Also remember that if the wind would have been blowing 10 mph all the way to 1000 yards the deflection for our example would be 71.2 inches or 6.8 MOA.

The results would be:

2ih42z7.jpg

EAGLET - DO the math on Comanchee's example ,I gigured it was a 308 2700-2750 155 gr bc g7 of .245 or near the -lets say