• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wind Capture-AB 5700 Elite

BattleAxe

Chief
Minuteman
  • Mar 3, 2010
    Earth
    I think I already know the answer to this but on this screen image (assuming I've already captured direction of fire) when I select wind direction and perform a "capture", it not only captures direction but also captures the speed data to populate WS1 & WS2 correct?

Attachments

• photo49310.jpg
      photo49310.jpg
      14.1 KB · Views: 5
    affirmative. wind 'capture' grabs both a vector direction and WS1/WS2 values. WS1 = average speed, WS2 = max speed, over the period in which the capture button was held down.

Got it thanks. Reason I asked is that apparently you can perform a capture in either the WD, WS1, or WS2 menus and it appears they all provide the same data

You may already know this: to find wind direction turn the unit until the propeller stops. Then one of the sides is pointed in the exact wind direction. Point the back of the unit in that direction. I learned this from AB and it helped immensely esp. while laying prone.

You may already know this: to find wind direction turn the unit until the propeller stops. Then one of the sides is pointed in the exact wind direction. Point the back of the unit in that direction. I learned this from AB and it helped immensely esp. while laying prone.

Only problem there is that direction is rarely steady. I often see it switch randomly from 7 o'clock to 9 o'clock (as an example) so getting the impellor to stop can be next to impossible. I just throw a handful of dirt/grass in the air and get a pretty good read and most ranges have a flagpole.

Only problem there is that direction is rarely steady. I often see it switch randomly from 7 o'clock to 9 o'clock (as an example) so getting the impellor to stop can be next to impossible. I just throw a handful of dirt/grass in the air and get a pretty good read and most ranges have a flagpole.

Works perfectly for me every time.. I'm in Wyoming. Wind, especially changing wind, is a constant here.....

This is what I also do and it works every time. It also doesn't require setting up the vane which also works if you are at a range and not moving.

I wouldn't argue that it doesn't work, its just that you have so many other direction indicators I haven't found it necessary, and direction at the shooter doesn't necessarily equate to direction at max ordinance or down range. That's why god made trees, pine needles, Spanish moss, and mirage ;) Kidding aside...I find it quite easy to get accurate direction without gizmos. If you're off a few degrees on direction it has nowhere near the effect of being off a few MPH on speed.

This is what I also do and it works every time. It also doesn't require setting up the vane which also works if you are at a range and not moving.

The wind vane does take it to the next level but I don't like being too dependent on that though. I try to reserve the vane setup for certain "work".