• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Re: wind doping

With this particular place I was shooting the mirage was negated by wind strength -our position above the target with tree tops covering all ground until the target which was on the side of a hill in a paddock backed by more trees .This situation requires moving to another postion to get wind strength above the lower valley and wind direction .The trees were the main wind identifying factor but even they were not representitive of the wind I had from a hill top as they were well below the top ridge probably by 100 -150 feet verticle .This form of shooting is just not like shooting a range and unless you can read tree real well there was a bit of luck involved also taking the shot -mirage was a no go !Obviously I would have used mirage had it been possible and any other signs available from our position .
The great thing about that day is I had a new shooter who had never shot over 200 yards smashing the steel as well -I explained to him these are the conditions you will learn in and not no wind point and shoot situations.

I thought it would be self evident to all that on some occasions you might need to leave the script and punt. Nevertheless, with or without the benefit of mirage, when mid range observations yield an understanding for what the wind is doing there, it appears to me to be a better indicator of what sight adjustment is needed, even when consideration for alternative strategies is possible, like guessing, reading wind at the firing point, reading it at the target, or attempting to average complex winds from shooter to target. No doubt, sometimes it does become a guess and, who knows, maybe you'll get lucky.

Stirling , from your post it would be very difficult to deduce you speak of any other type of shooting other than that done on a range and that is the only thing the is "self evident ".It would be worth with future posts before giving text book answers as you so often do --good solid answers but very text book concerning flat square ranges .I think asking about the terrain the person asking advice is shooting on is very important as it changes the ball game completley some times .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stirling , from your post it would be very difficult to deduce you speak of any other type of shooting other than that done on a range and that is the only thing the is "self evident ".It would be worth with future posts before giving text book answers as you so often do --good solid answers but very text book concerning flat square ranges .I think asking about the terrain the person asking advice is shooting on is very important as it changes the ball game completley some times .</div></div>

All shooting environments are the same, they all require the shooter to counter for the effects of gravity, drag, temp, and wind. And as stated in my last post you either do nothing or you do something, like counter for the wind at the shooter's position, the wind at mid range, the wind at the target, or the average of complex winds, if that is even possible. Of course, you can just take a wild ass guess too. Pick your poison. For me, on the range, in the mountains, on the prairie, or plains the mid range wind has been my go to wind.

Sterling Shooter finally gave the correct answer to reading the wind . . . .

"No doubt, sometimes it does become a guess and, who knows, maybe you'll get lucky."

Stirlingshooter I want to check I am right with mireage reading when not from a 3 or 9 oclock wind .Turn your scope into the mirage until you find the boil and there is your direction correct .Once you have that you still read the angle from the heat waves for general speed from where in the turn you take up until it boils ?I hope that makes sense

this stuff hurts my brain. i have a great amount of respect for the people who have mastered this discipline.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stirlingshooter I want to check I am right with mireage reading when not from a 3 or 9 oclock wind .Turn your scope into the mirage until you find the boil and there is your direction correct .Once you have that you still read the angle from the heat waves for general speed from where in the turn you take up until it boils ?I hope that makes sense </div></div>

That's correct. To read the wind at mid to 3/4 range, you want to focus your scope on target and then back it off counter clock wise about 1/4 turn. This will bring the mirage into better focus at 3/4 range or so. Read the mirage. The angle of the mirage and directing of movement will tell you approx how fast the wind is blowing up to around 10-12 mph. At that point the mirage will lay flat and you will need to begin observing the surroundings to get a better estimate on wind speed.
The direction the mirage will give you will be a left to right, right to left or a boil. I will then observe the surrounding area to see if the wind is blowing in a 1/4 or 1/2 value.

A friend sent this clip of the place I have been talking about where it is hard for me to judge the wind from the shooting position so i thought Id share this -the postion is at the very end of the video -the rest is our 100 yard yange where we site in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml8Zek22aNE&feature=channel

This second clip is a contest I won a month and a half ago out to 1 kilometer and also was an akward place to call wind due to the wind having to roll over the hills on the left side into the valley from a 7.30 angle and then seemed to point itself up and out of the rising valley toward a 1pm position -anyway a bit of shooting in New Zealand for you to watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzQqFHjJKLU&feature=g-upl&context=G225b959AUAAAAAAAIAA