• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wind drift non linearity

exxplorer

Private
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2024
Slovakia
Hi all,

I just started to play with Hornadys ballistics app. I also used chairgun before but this thing i just realized right now.
So, the question is: Can you somebody explain why the wind drift is not linear with the wind angle?
I mean why its not the half at 45deg of 90deg?

Lets take an example from chairgun:
90deg 475.5cm 1.63s
45deg 373.3cm 1.68s

I was thinking about the 45deg front part of wind that it slows the projectile down causing longer fly but with that the result for 45deg front would be 90deg/2*(90deg_time/45deg_time) which for this example comes out for 245cm. I calculated with 10m/s of wind. Is the +5m/s (10m/s from 45deg) dragforce is what making it to drag 373cm instead of 245? Or what is the reason of this ? Or how to calculate "manually" the wind drift with other angle than 90deg?

Thank you,
Meanwhile i found out that its calcualted with cosinus (still not sure why but i will figure out) and the linked resource is just comfirming it that its corrected with cosinus and not linear line. But anyways, its very usefull (also for other stuff than wind deflection)
So, now if i make corrections with cosinus and flight time i can get much closer to the real value but still not good enough.

Wind 10m/s

Calculated with app: 90deg 475.7cm 1.63s
Calculated with app: 45deg 373.3cm 1.68s

Cosinus factor from 90 to 45: 0,707
Cosinus corrected drift: 336,3

0,707*457,7
Fly time corrected drift: 346,6
(1,68/1,63)*336,3

So, some pieces from the puzzle are still missing. What else im missing to make correction with to get the rest difference between 373 and 346cm to get corrected/calculated?