• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear Wind Flag on Spotting Tripod

Jack Master

Smile and Dial
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2018
Here
www.snipershide.com
I'd Like to have a wind flag on my spotting tripod for next year's PRS matches. I'm looking for ideas on how to mount one to the tripod and make it easy to get on and off. I'm not a fan of having a big plate or platform to mount a bunch of stuff to, like a tac table. Post a picture of your wind flag setup if you have one.
How is the "stick" connected to the mounting base?
how is the base connected to the tripod/spotter.
Does having this wind flag add a shake or vibration into the spotter when the wind blows?
Is it easy to put up or take down?
Does it store in you match pack well?.

Example photos
1672777719164.png
1672777880197.png

anyone tried on of these on the leg? -

SmallRig Super Clamp

1672778074417.png

Thanks for your help.

Guessing from the pics their cinema rails or plates have threaded 1/4-20 holes. Mine does and I have a 12" piece of threaded rod with my Calypso Mini on top. Under that I have a wing nut and a plastic bushing with a piece of surveyors tape tied to it for a faster directional indicator. The direction on the Calypso does lag a little.

My setup this past season and into the next. I no longer use the coletac wind flag and instead, use a BR flag.

Works great and easy to disassemble and lightweight with the carbon fiber rods.

It's a slightly older picture. I use RRS 240mm (??) Cinema rail and RRS Clamps. Wiser mount for the HUD which I can easily transfer between rifle and tripod. Everything is assembled using ARCA which makes the setup highly versatile to add or remove stuff.

gTpGRqo.jpg

NjZWSXf.jpg

Vibration is the main reason I switched to a proper flag versus sock/string/tape. With a flag, vibration is not an issue in high winds.

Well Fellers - Here is what I came up with. After studying, looking, analyzing and 13 beers here is my solution. I had to put a little biut longer arca plate on my spotting setup to get this to work.

Radio Antenna ($4 amazon)
3/8 thread coupler ($2 hardware store)
jb weld ($1)
Ribbon (free)
75 -100mm Arca swiss plate and screws - 1/4" plus 3/8" adaptor ($7 amazon)

I like the setup, but we'll see how it works in the field.
1. The flag easily attaches to, and removes from the spotting system. Just a quick couple turns and the 3/8 coupler is crewed on to the arca plate.
2. The antenna extends and collapses easily to move the tripod or be put in a backpack. The antenna also does not have enough rigidity to cause vibration in the spotting glass (yet to be proven)
3. I didn't need a big plate to attach it all to, I am not a fan of the "big rigs" (Personal Preference)
4. It cost $14 plus 13 beers to make.
5. This can never get in the way. Its always attached to the spotting glass and moving with it. Looking right, left, up down the flag can never be in the line of sight.
6. Bacon, because every list should have bacon.

In my first attempt I used an old fiberglass fishing rod that was 36" long, but that is to cumbersome for a match setting or needing to be able to move around with it. I plan at attached that 36" pole to a magnetic base to use P-dog Shooting. Magnets right to the truck box.

1674402731615.png
1674402836421.png
1674402580965.png
1674402617126.png
1674402653829.png
1674402692951.png

Well Fellers - Here is what I came up with. After studying, looking, analyzing and 13 beers here is my solution. I had to put a little biut longer arca plate on my spotting setup to get this to work.

Radio Antenna ($4 amazon)
3/8 thread coupler ($2 hardware store)
jb weld ($1)
Ribbon (free)
75 -100mm Arca swiss plate and screws - 1/4" plus 3/8" adaptor ($7 amazon)

I like the setup, but we'll see how it works in the field.
1. The flag easily attaches to, and removes from the spotting system. Just a quick couple turns and the 3/8 coupler is crewed on to the arca plate.
2. The antenna extends and collapses easily to move the tripod or be put in a backpack. The antenna also does not have enough rigidity to cause vibration in the spotting glass (yet to be proven)
3. I didn't need a big plate to attach it all to, I am not a fan of the "big rigs" (Personal Preference)
4. It cost $14 plus 13 beers to make.
5. This can never get in the way. Its always attached to the spotting glass and moving with it. Looking right, left, up down the flag can never be in the line of sight.
6. Bacon, because every list should have bacon.

In my first attempt I used an old fiberglass fishing rod that was 36" long, but that is to cumbersome for a match setting or needing to be able to move around with it. I plan at attached that 36" pole to a magnetic base to use P-dog Shooting. Magnets right to the truck box.

View attachment 8054305 View attachment 8054310 View attachment 8054301 View attachment 8054302 View attachment 8054303 View attachment 8054304
Very nice. I like the simplicity.

I think your antennae idea is decent/clever.

Id recommend you also make an [initial guesstimate] of direction (without indicators, just using your hand/face) and write it down before doing the antennae flag thing. Then refer back to that guesstimate after your shot and check if using [that direction] would've corresponded to a better or worse wind solution (was [angle] value less than the flags, and was your POI equivalent to using too much windage - would your initial guess have been a more effective solution)? Its helped me.

Reactions: Keith E.
I bought a hinged, collapsing "Radio antenna" or "Pointer" wind flag like that off commercial Row at Camp Perry.

The base had one of those rubber half-rings that allows you to quickly clip it on or off a spotting scope stand tube or tripod leg. It came with some lightweight white yarn about two feet long at the tip to show you direction and velocity. You can use surveyor's tape to do the same thing.

The clamp was something like this:

CobraSmall.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Keith E.
Well @Jack Master how did your setup work this year? Any improvements needed?
This worked VERY well all season. The flag stayed out of the way like I had hope it would, it was always available, it colapsed for transport and removed easily for storage. I am very satisfied.
The only negative I had was one match with very high winds and the flag would make my glass shimmy a but more than without it. I took the flag off that day because it was pretty obvious what the wind direction was and the flag stood at 90Deg so it didn't help with speed.
My only upgrade would be a Calypso.. I shot a match where a fellow squad mate had one and it. was. awesome!! (more batteries!! Boo)

I got one of those clamps you posted. I put it on my carbon tripod leg and was fairly nervous to clamp it down hard enough to be immobile. I then took it off... clamping onto the carbon makes me cringe.