• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wind Meter

CarbonOne

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2010
Utah
I'm lookng at wind meters and thinking about the kestrel 2500 for $150. I don't really think I need to spend the big bucks. I'm mainly looking for just a wind meter, my iPhone can get a lot of the other data, but I want some Data from the meter incase I don't have service, forget my phone, etc...

Maybe the cheap $40 Caldwell is all I need? I've searched past threads and know a lot of guys like the kestrel 4500 but I'm on a budget of $150 or less.

Re: Wind Meter

I have a Caldwell. Its does as well as any other with windspeed. Its around here somewhere, havent used it in awhile.

But it is very helpful developing your ability to judge wind. I painted it green which maybe part of the problem
blush.gif

The Caldwell is crappy, I bought one way back and once I got the Kestrel I threw that pos away. If the 2500 is really all you can afford then get it. However, if you saved up another 50 you could step up to the 3500NV. Any info the kestrel can give you will be a 100 percent better than the 'nearest weather tower' on your iPhone or any phone for that matter. Do a lot of shopping around and you might could save a whole lot of money. About two and half years ago I got the 4500NV for 271 off amazon.

We offer Kestrel at the lowest prices possible!

If we can help you out pelase let us know!

Nothing (AFAIK) beats Kestrel, and if 4500NV+BT is outside of your budget constraints, for wind reading (and a bunch of other capabilities you can go with a lower & cheaper model.

Caldwells work just fine for wind. Manys the time I took with a bunch of Kestral users and been within their spread. And they sure had a spread.

In CONUS the local weather report/online website does the job very well for humidity and air temp. Most powders dont have large swings from temp.

Pretty much, if you train yourself to be aware of what it feels like then you become a kestral...

Well ok, maybe just a Caldwell...

I just ordered the Kestrel Bluetooth version now that I am living in Colorado as weather changes alot here and so does elevations. Plus its one less thing I have to enter as the bluetooth will do it for me.

Also if you are shooting a high dollar round like 338, 375, 408, etc then it is relatively cheap in the end to get accurate readings.

But like anything a kestrel wind reading is a great piece of kit, but unless you can read the wind changes with your eyes down range its not going to help you all that much when shooting long range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VSOP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">unless you can read the wind changes with your eyes down range its not going to help you all that much when shooting long range. </div></div>

And there is some outstanding advice. On the rare occasions when I have gotten out to long ranges (800 or so here in the hilly NE), the winds between the target and our location have been anything but consistent.

Getting a read at your location is great. Having it relevant at long ranges... IMHO, that's not just a science, it's an art. And the guys who can do it well... hats off!

Cheers,

Sirhr

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notquiteright</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Caldwells work just fine for wind. Manys the time I took with a bunch of Kestral users and been within their spread. And they sure had a spread.

In CONUS the local weather report/online website does the job very well for humidity and air temp. Most powders dont have large swings from temp.

Pretty much, if you train yourself to be aware of what it feels like then you become a kestral...

Well ok, maybe just a Caldwell...</div></div>

FWIW the nearest location to the shooting range I go to is about 20 miles away, and the Elevation, Temperature, Pressure, and Humidity are very different. Kestrels can have a spread just changing the direction the impeller faces can do that. The Caldwell I had would not read anything below 3mph, and the only other reading it offered was temperature.

The Kestrel 2500 measures wind speed, altitude, BP, and temperature. Having those other conditions right and knowing whether not your using Station Pressure or Corrected Pressure can make a big difference downrange. It's also very important stuff because a majority of shooter's are using some kind of ballistics program.

Question for you, just what shooting problem do you have that first you couldnt tell the wind was that light and second you being unable to tell the wind was that light and thus miss your target?

For most of the shooting world and for most beginners the problem in wind reading isnt the soft breeze but over estimating the wind between 6 and 14mph and underestimating it once you have to lean into it a bit
grin.gif

Once I got a few rounds downrange on a few different ranges around the grand nation we live in I discovered-

It takes but a little training to guess the proper temp range for my Varget loads, no need to know the .# for temp.

Elevation is a band as well, no need to know the exact to the foot elevation. PLENTY of places I can get the elevation for free.

Relative humidity has minimal effect and a rough guess that works well is to moniter a couple of days worth at home and get a feel for the broad strokes.

Proper prior practise prevents piss poor performance.

Notquiteright,
To answer the first question none that I can think of. That being said when someone is first learning to read wind they usually start by learning to read wind at their location and then moving on to reading it downrange. I wouldn't trust the caldwell to be accurate therefore I no longer own one. Luckily those that were teaching us how to do it had good equipment and most importantly experience.
As far as environmental conditions where have you fired at distance and not had the bullet affected? If you shoot in similar conditions or field settings then sure you get a good feeling for that area. I know that compared to my goregous summer day dope, if it's freezing balls and snowing the zero doesn't change but further out I have to start adding to my drop.
My point is if the OP is wanting to use this info to make his Ballistic Program more accurate, then needs to be entering as much data as he can accurately from his location. He could still be screwing it up if he doesn't take the time to learn how to properly use his equipment.
I totally agree with you on the 6P's