• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Wind meters, what features are must have

Re: Wind meters, what features are must have

Kestrel 4000 is minimum. Model 4500 will also give the direction of the wind as well. Of course, both will be capable of giving you more info than needed.

I was pricing out kestrels yesterday. Do you know of a retailer/distributor with good deals? The 4000-4500 models were in the $350-400 range if i recall.

Lots of folks here will tell you to get the top of the line Kestrel.

Really it depends on what you are going to do with it.

For me, temp and windspeed is what I NEED. The rest is just nice to have. If you use DTAC cards or something like that, then you need Density Altitude, but you can also get by with a lower model of weather meter and a DA table.

I use a 2500NV. It's the lowest NV model. You don't really NEED the low output backlight, but if you do night shoots it's nice to have. I also liked the subdued color since I may have to use it on a callout.

The difference between the 2500NV and the 4500NV is about $150. I can find other things to do with that cash.

Add to that the amazing fact that I and the rest of the guys in my platoon learned to shoot long range without the aid of a wind meter, much less DA calculations and you will see why I am hesitant to shell out $300 for a weather station and would much rather just spend more time on the trigger.

Now if you are shooting ELR, then a full blown 4500 and ballistic computer may be a good investment and cost less than handfull of match .50BMG.

I too am quite happy with my 2500NV.
Wind, temp, and barometric pressure functions have my needs covered.

Once again to all above thanks for expanding my horizons regarding the "wind" meter. As that I am a recreational shooter now fortunate enough to be located where long distance shooting is possible, I doubt that my needs meet those of the professionals on the forum. But if one is to try and do his best... more to learn, and DA would appear to have it following these days.

If you plan on shooting long range, I'd recommend something that computes the density altitude.

I am fond of the Brunton ADC Pro. I paid about $100 for mine, and it does everything a shooter needs.

I just recieved the Kestrel 4500 from http://www.weatherbuffs.com
,paid $309us and $30 us for DHL -by the time it was landed and I paid tax which was $79us =total of $419us.Still after the cardic arrest due to what I had to pay for this it looks and functions pretty cool -mind I am still learning how to drive the thing as Ive never had a wheather station before .I could have gone for a cheaper model but would have always been wanting the next one up ---just buy the best once.I dont shoot super long range only out to 1000 yards but I plan to use this in conjunction with my PDA ballistics caculator.I suppose at the end of the day if you can afford the toys go mad!!

in the game we play ....the world is your oyster......

more technology is most useful when you need it and know how to use it....when that trophy target is in sight....you will not be wanting.

i'm just sayin.....

Let me know when they make one that can go out and hover in the middle of the draw that I am shooting across and then robotically land next to me with the equation already done.

In all seriousness, maybe I am missing the boat but wind meters seem like they would be most useful when the terrain is uniform. Yesterday I was shooting at 822 yards across a draw, the draw had a second land feature just below the bullet path that made acted as a mini funnel within the wind funnel. Holds ranged from 1.5 - 2.5 MILs and what was going on near me meant little in relation to the hold.

Again, maybe I am missing the boat but for me anyway it seems like more time with the spotter and proving it with a live round is better than a wind meter.

Am I wrong?

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Again, maybe I am missing the boat but for me anyway it seems like more time with the spotter and proving it with a live round is better than a wind meter.</div></div>

Unless you can accurately guess what the wind mph is doing at your position, it seems like having one is a good idea. The wind value at my position is only 1 of 3 values I consider .... and having a good number for 1 of 3, is better than guesses for all 3.

Besides, I find that the Density Altitude calculation it provides to be critical for long distance stuff.

I don't leave the range wondering why my dope is so far off from the other day ....

This weekend I had 2 first round hits at 1050 yards, in 20 mph wind! There is no way I could have done that without a good DA reading. Of course a good bit of it was luck too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rijndael</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Again, maybe I am missing the boat but for me anyway it seems like more time with the spotter and proving it with a live round is better than a wind meter.</div></div>

Unless you can accurately guess what the wind mph is doing at your position, it seems like having one is a good idea. The wind value at my position is only 1 of 3 values I consider .... and having a good number for 1 of 3, is better than guesses for all 3.

Besides, I find that the Density Altitude calculation it provides to be critical for long distance stuff.

What a good sensible Post !!!

I don't leave the range wondering why my dope is so far off from the other day ....

This weekend I had 2 first round hits at 1050 yards, in 20 mph wind! There is no way I could have done that without a good DA reading. Of course a good bit of it was luck too. </div></div>

Sorry mucked up I used quote and said what a wanted to say in the middle of the last post --looking at my Kestrel maybe haha .
Anyway just wanted to say good and sensible to the last post !!! use what ever tools available .Who whips up a 1000 yard shot at an instant at an animal without some observation - theres usually time to verify close wind for long range shots

A wind meter is a great tool to learn the wind with. You should learn the wind by shooting and judging the wind. I bought a meter a few months ago thinking it was the answer. Everytime before I shoot I guess the wind and the to check my guess with the meter. I normally within 2mph. Shooting is the best technolgy.
It will help you to start but you will find you won't need it. Shooting 600 to 1000 yds the wind will have a variance anyway. A guess will be about as good. As long as your guess is very close.

There's a group buy on kestrels going in the group buy section if you're interested.

I think Weather Essentials was where I found my best deal a long time ago. But a year or so ago I saw a 4000 for cheaper some place else... but the old 4000 keeps on ticking. I wish the darn thing wouldn't dump memory replacing the battery. Oh well.

Oh yah what features?
wind speed
humidity
altitude
desity altitude

Not just the speed and figuring its angle get it there. The thickness of the air is needed to calculate extra or less drop and bending of bullet path.