• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wind rating surprised

jrsandiego12

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2020
San Diego, CA
I just started shooting a 6mm Dasher, 105 berger hybrid target. Trued up the ballistics to 1000 yds, 2884 muzzle velocity, .295 G7 bc - and also trued on 4dof.

I was surprised to find that the wind rating on the 105 was 7mp. I had assumed the 105 would not be as good as the 6.5 Creedmoor 140gr BTHP. At 2707 mv, .270 g7 bc, it is about 5.5 - 6 wind rating.

This seem right?

Where are you shooting and what temp? DA. There is a correction for DA changes. Might be a 6 at sea level but in Denver could be a 7

Good point. The 6.5 rating is from a DA of a out 1500, and Ive been shooting the dasher at like 4500 - 5500 DA. Ill make sure those are comparable and see what it is.

We have beat this whole subject to death repeatedly on here. Somewhere there is an excellent thread with lots of good info in it. I’m trying to find it.

Found it

yeah, my question was about whether it made sense that a 105 6mm would have better wind dynamics than a 140 6.5mm