• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Wind readers.....

TLong

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
www.1042blue.wixsite.com
I was looking at purchasing a wind reader and found these two...Caldwell 112-350 for $29, and the LaCrosse Tech EA 3010u which is normally $50 and on sale for $29. I would like to get a kestrel or menstrual or whatever but I don't want to spend over $100 on something that I may not like/use/keep. Does anyone have any experience with these two or can you suggest any others in the $25-$50 range? Also, are they even worth the hassle, because you can only measure wind at your location and it could be totally different at the target.

Re: Wind readers.....

+1 kestrel. the wind at your location is important to.

if you shoot long must have all info a kestral offers if want first run hits if not just walk it in to target

Mistral... Please...

Wind gauges are a help, and cheap ones may not be a bargain. I tried to look for reviews of these two specific models on the Internet, but gave up.

No wind gauge is going to be more than help. First round hits, no matter how they are calculated, involve odds.

Greg

Kestrel 4XXX is worth the money, because if you don't keep it you would probably be able to recoup much of your cost quickly (may not be true with the ones you posted).

IMHO, the density altitude feature on my Kestrel makes it worth the price.

Again see my other post - that kestrel won't do you much good if you have 60 seconds to get into position, range, read wind, and fire, with 15 seconds for a follow up shot.

Didn't see the guys on Top Sniper using them in that part of the comp....although they did use them for others..

I believe hi-tech is cool but if you rely on a GPS and can't read a map when your GPS fails what good are you?

If you rely on the meter and can't read wind....

The proper use of a wind meter is to learn to calibrate what a wind of a given velocity "feels" and sounds like, when you're not shooting.

Estimate the wind, and then check it with the meter. Do that frequently, and over time you'll have a very good estimate of wind speed without the meter.

As AL notes, when you're shooting, you don't have time.

But the Kestrel is good for checking temperature, pressure, humidity - or density altitude, which is the same thing - before shooting.

Besides, they're fun to play with.

Most people who own Kestrels don't even know that unless told otherwise, their Kestrel automatically records the parameters it can measure at timed intervals.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The proper use of a wind meter is to learn to calibrate what a wind of a given velocity "feels" and sounds like, when you're not shooting.

Estimate the wind, and then check it with the meter. Do that frequently, and over time you'll have a very good estimate of wind speed without the meter.... </div></div>
This is more along the lines of what I meant by not keeping it. If over time, I can judge a 10mph or 15mph wind as well as looking at the mirage and vegetation at the target to compare, then why would I need a meter except to confirm my suspicion? I can see the adv. to having the humidity and all that other stuff, but in lower Alabama, it will be 80-100% everyday.