• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Wind Reading..Would this work?

mike1128

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 10, 2008
Mississippi
Was just curious...but would taking some marking tape and adding weight to the end of it just enough to be distinguishable from a 5-10 mph wind and then using a kestrel to measure what the angle is at different speeds. Then sticking it downrange while also looking at the mirage and surrounding enviornment. Would this help to produce tell tell signs in the mirage and surrounding nature?

Re: Wind Reading..Would this work?

I have always said a wind meter is best used in training to learn what objects do in different wind speeds. Anything you can do to more accurately judge the wind will help you learn what it does to mirage, vegetation or anything else you can see the wind move.

Let us know how it works.

Yes Sir, will keep ya'll updated when I get a chance to get out to the range.

Mike

Many BR style wind indicators make some allowance for reporting wind velocity.

Wind flags can be evry useful for showing current wind conditions, but like all data sources, the potential presents itself for data overload.

Always hold in mind that once enough data need processing, the processing time can be such that the resultant solutinos are made obsolete by interim condition variances.

I use wind flags as a means of comparison. More to associate flag indications with POI shifts, on an intuitive level. The human mind is a very good computer in the analog, intuitive mode, but when it attempts to crunch discrete numbers, we step outside the instinctual processes, and the numbers become more of a distraction than a useful input.

I think the trick here is to forget about precision, and seek instead a closer and closer approximation. It could be preferable to miss by 1 MOA. Odds are good the target's gonna show some injury. But missing the target presentation due to computational delay, or blowing the precision by using faulty data can defeat the entire process by at least 1MOA or even far, far more.

It's a question of priorities and weighted values. Quick and dirty can have advantages over precise and slow.

Greg