• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wind River movie gun question?

Jefe's Dope

Red Forman
Minuteman
  • Dec 20, 2017
    Just watched Wind River, excellent movie, and there's quite a few "guns" and "accessories" in the movie. There's one scene where he scolds his son for improperly carrying his BB gun and points out my favorite gun rule, "All guns are loaded, even if they aren't". There's also a decent reloading scene. Most all the gun stuff is up to snuff and really well done for Hollywood's known issues with reality and guns. So, a really good movie that shows guns in an honest and favorable light.

My question, since they seem to have done their homework on gun handling, is; Why does he cradle his carbine while running through the snow? He does this in several scenes. He does not have a sling on it either.

Well thanks for answering my Sunday morning trivial question of the day.

800px-windriver_marlin_5.jpg

Reactions: Bender
    Cradles to maintain balance.

Similar to a tight rope walker using a balance pole. Running with a back slung muzzle up, barrel catches on everything, muzzle down, beats back of leg, can trip you.

Combat front sling, loose, beats you to death, and can slide between legs and trip you. Still requires both hands on to run front slung and maintain balance.

Loose sling catches on everything in the bush, sling the rifle and try to get to it under the stress of ambush... very few combat arms people put slings on. Rangers kicking in doors and taking prisoners need sling to transition weapon, running the bush, you need weapon in hand and ready.
    Walking point a to point b in a secure zone, sling is ok.

Running at port arms takes muscle strength to hold weapon away from body and maintain balance, wears you out.

Cradling, gives you the best balance and strength retention, thus, longer run time.

Running the ranger shuffle on flat ground, cradled, is probably the most energy conservative method.
    Rough ground and snow, as pictured requires more active effort to maintain balance and forward movement.

Single hand carry, fal handle on rough ground is unbalanced and eats energy.

Single hand carry, fal handle, ranger shuffle on flat ground except you have to change hands periodically to maintain muscle fatigue to side to side.

Cradle second fastest way to present firearm to port arms when running.

Bunch of reasons, several more I forget.

Be real interesting to put this topic in the fieldcraft section and see what non bear pit hiders have to say...

Last edited:
    If he had a FAL, he would probably use the carry handle.

I do the same. That or safari carry. Keeps a heavier rifle ready and distributes it’s weight nicely. I don’t even have sling studs. Just in the way most times.

Is this what's got the Marlin 1895SBLs sold out and going for crazy money on GB? Bought one a year ago for $750 after rebate and recently sold for $1200. The older pre-Remlins are going for twice that!

Reactions: Bender
    I grew up in the middle of that reservation. Absolutely beautiful area. Great movie too. But the bad guy died too quickly. My only gripe...

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
    go out hunting all day with a heavy rifle and youll be carrying your rifle like this by the end of the day.

it is less tiring that carrying any other way, as you are not really using muscles to hold the weight of it.....and faster to get into action.

even less tiring than a sling, as even after a while a sling can wear on you and the bouncing of the rifle can get annoying.

sling are great when you need 2 hands....but kind suck when bashing through the woods.