• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wind Work Flow worksheet

DSPrecision

Private
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2021
Denver
I saw this Wind Work Flow worksheet on Franks article, "Managing the Wind" and was wondering if anyone had a link or resource that had the full chart and an explanation of how to use it?

I understand in the upper right corner what Average and Gust refers to, but what is the "direction 0.75" referring to and how is the "adjusted average MPH" of 16 and "gust MPH" of 22 calculated?

What is the table in the upper left referencing? Particularly the top row of 0.9, 0.75, and 0.5.

Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_0904-1536x2048.jpg
    IMG_0904-1536x2048.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
has to do with the winds angle relative to DOF. 12:30 -.25 of true wind speed =FVCW. 100 = .5, 1:30= .7, 2:00=.9 roughly speaking.

Determine true wind speed
Gauge winds direction relative to shot
Calc the equivalent full valued cross wind (90deg equiv)
Then convert that FVCW speed to an angular unit; intend to use the [gun MPH system]

Find gunMPH by
first truing your DOPE to 1000yd getting corrected BC, corrected MV
Then simply use the ballistic solver of choice to find at what speed a 90deg wind = 1/1000th the yardage
(.3mil@300yd, .4@400, .5@500, .6@600 .7@700) - that wind speed is your gunMPH #

Can get close using G1 BC number (.523 = 5mph; .697 = 6 or 7) barrel length/MV and DA will effect exactlY which number you get.
--------------

Can be overwhelming but once you understand the system it is useful.

*Watch out for RAGS/10A for even easier wind calls - thread dropping soon-ish once I tie up a few loose ends....

Okay, that's starting to make sense. Why in the upper right is it typed in "direction 0.75"? Seems like it should be an empty box that can be filled in based on conditions.

Only thing I could guess is person that made this said 3/4 is his most common call - cut into 1/3rds to alter to 1/4 or 1/2? or person has a similar sheet for each angle? Not really sure why .75 is typed on that one; probably a personal preference type thing.

OP check this out and see if it sheds some light on things (y)