• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Windage issue, need help!!

GhostFace

Verified Asshole
Minuteman
  • Apr 1, 2003
    Indiana
    Okay gents this is my problem. I have an AR that has an 18 inch SS barrel on it. The rifle shoots great!! No problems with groups or fliers, everything is tight on the rifle, rail, rings...everything. I had a 10X SS with side focus on it at first but after doing some shooting drills with it inside of 100 yards I decide to go with a varaible. I went with a Falcon 4-14FFP. The first one I put on there ran out of left windage before I could get it zeroed,it ran out of windage with groups being about 5-6 minutes from zeroed. It was returned for a new one. I got the new one on there and went to the range yesterday. The new scope allowed me to zero the rifle but I have only 3 minutes of left windage before the scope runs out. I did'nt take my Leupold M3 with me to range yesteday but I will the next time I go out, hopefully this week. I called a good local gunsmith and asked what he thought the problem was. I told him I had the barrel cut by another gunsmith friend of mine and I didn't think it was a bad crown because the rifle still shoots as well as it did before it was cut and he has done several cut an crown jobs for me and I NEVER had a problem with any of them. He agreed it was not the crown because if it was he said it would not shoot well at all. He told me of a product that mounts to flat top ARs and it's basically and windage adjustable picatinnny mount, he didn'y know who made it but he has seen them before. Does anyone know who makes one of these? Is there anything else that I can do besides getting one of these mounts? Thanks...

Re: Windage issue, need help!!

Are you mounting the rings directly to the receiver or using a rail riser?

If you're using a riser you might be able to shim under the clamps to straighten things out a bit. You could cut shims out of an aluminum can and make them small enough so as not to be easily seen. Probably not the best way to go about it but it might be worth a try and you're only out some time in trying it.

Thanks for your idea!! It's mounted on the reciever and partly on the railed forearm. I'll keep looking for this mount that my smith speaks of...

wait, it's mounted partly on the reciever and partly on the railed handguard? there's your problem, 2 different surfaces between the 2 rings, put both rings on the reciever

If possible pull it back so it is completely on the receiver. Chances are that forearm is canted off at an angle and that is likely what is causing the issue. A riser is preferred over going direct to the receiver to spare the receiver being damaged by the rings but pulling it all back onto the receiver may fix the issue if you can make it work.

It is the forearm, I moved it back on the receievr and all is good now. Thanks for your help!!!!

None of the picatinny railed forarms ever lineup, unless the receiver is an integral unit sold with a matched handguard.

Glad you got your scope back on track.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GhostFace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is the forearm, I moved it back on the receievr and all is good now. Thanks for your help!!!! </div></div>

Anytime my friend