• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Window Shopping - 223 Bolt Action

CheapBasterd

Private
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2023
California
I slapped together my first centerfire BA a few months ago with the goal to handload rounds, put down sub MOA and bang steel over and over and over and over at 850 yards. Thats done. Goal achieved.

I want to build another but chambered in .223 for the same reason but at most 500 yards. This is to satisfy and keep it cost effective compared to the 6.5.
Budget is $1500 (without optics, trigger, chassis).

.223 because I already have the components but im sure i'll be buying match grade dies and other specific for accurate consistent loads.

Right now im eyeballing a Mack Bros Evo II SA Single Shot + Preferred Prefit
My understanding is the Mack Bros is an R700 clone so chassis selection should match, right?

At the same time I had really good luck with the Howa 1500 SA. I really have no complaints about it.
So im also looking at another Brownells Barreled Howa 1500 Mini action. This is obviously the cheaper route and will leave some funds for whatever else...

What would you do?

Last edited:
Reactions: DubfromGA
Evo actions have a trigger hanger, depending on the chassis, may need relieved in front of rear action screw. Personally I'd take an origin over an evo, I had a couple and moved em.

Reactions: godofthunder
I didn’t know proof made prefits for the Mac actions.

Proof is supposed to be coming out with Kelbly prefits in the next few months.

I would look at origin or Kelbly atlas tactical and a proof prefit.

Or just buy a tikka that’s ready to go right out of the gate under that price range.

Reactions: Baron85
Spend $1500 on 6.5 components.

Thought you said 6.5 somewhere in your post. Regardless I’d just buy more stuff for the rifle you built.

I can do that but I got enough components for 6.5 to last me a while.

The thing is once I started hitting those longer ranges I kind of felt like it was not as oooh ahhh fun pinging under that distance with the 6.5. I went through 100 rounds just blasting around at different distances. I guess what im looking for is a cheaper "trainer"?
After the 100 rounds I didn't feel like just sending more 6.5 down range at shorter distances but I still wanted to shoot. I think a lower cost .223 BA would fit...kind of like desert.

I have a safe full of semi-auto's but BA's seem to be just more fun...

1709780592785.png

Reactions: Basher
A tikka ctr is the obvious answer here. Here is mine. Its not a factory ctr it just has the ctr barrel. You can leave it stock or you can go crazy like i did. Shoots most loads pretty well but loves the 52gr smk and pounds them 3/4moa or better quite consistently
1000007595.jpg

Reactions: Basher
A tikka ctr is the obvious answer here. Here is mine. Its not a factory ctr it just has the ctr barrel. You can leave it stock or you can go crazy like i did. Shoots most loads pretty well but loves the 52gr smk and pounds them 3/4moa or better quite consistently
Nice stock. What is it? Looks like Bob Ross had a seizure on it. I like it.

The thing is once I started hitting those longer ranges I kind of felt like it was not as oooh ahhh fun pinging under that distance with the 6.5. I went through 100 rounds just blasting around at different distances. I guess what im looking for is a cheaper "trainer"?
After the 100 rounds I didn't feel like just sending more 6.5 down range at shorter distances but I still wanted to shoot. I think a lower cost .223 BA would fit...kind of like desert.

View attachment 8366614
You’re gonna get the same feeling with .223. I shoot my .223 AI out past 1000 pretty regular. My first shots are usually starting at 600.

If you want “cheap”, fun, easy get a precision .22. You can shoot them to 400 lol.

I have bolt guns in 22LR, 223, and 6x47L. The 223 gets shot the most with the 22LR coming in second. They are a ton of fun and you'll be surprised at how far you can go with a good bullet.

Your choice of the Mack Bros and prefit are good. The Zermatt Origin gets a lot of good reviews but I have never tried one.

View attachment 8366614
It’s not that much cheaper than loading your 6.5 if you plan on using quality brass and bullets. Primers still cost the same you save a bit on powder that’s really about it. Unless you just want another rifle then it’s fine but I don’t think it’s much cheaper until you put a ton of rounds down range. By the time you buy another rifle, scope, and reloading components.

Get an Origin. You can change the bolt face easily and have it be something else later if you wanted. Not much more than the McBros and offers more and you will still stay under $1500.

This was my .223 that I swapped a bolt face and barrel on my 6 Creed to put together. Different stck and scope now but same barreled action.

IMG_2713(2).jpg

Savage mod 10 action, GRS Berserk stock, Jard trigger, Proof pre-fit (or Northland Shooter Supply Shilen or Criterion), NSS nut and lug, Accurate Mag bottom metal. Scope and bipod of your choice.

• Angry
Reactions: moosemeat
Another origin with pva prefit here. I’ll get a 6br or 6.5 creed for it soon, but I’ll always have a .223 barrel for it. Cheap(er) and fun.

Attachments

• IMG_0761.jpeg
    IMG_0761.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 32

View attachment 8366614
Shoot smaller targets.

Reactions: TicTacTex
Shoot smaller targets.
I did. super small targets that were super far. Don't ask me for exact numbers, Im gunna lie. Like the time I was aiming at 4 inch knockdown target @ 500 yards and a horsefly landed on top of it. I changed my POA to the horsefly. The target was untouched but that fly was 100% gone after that shot. You had to be there.

Another origin with pva prefit here. I’ll get a 6br or 6.5 creed for it soon, but I’ll always have a .223 barrel for it. Cheap(er) and fun.

Patriot Valley Arms does great work! All the prefits I have now for my TL3s were done by Josh @bohem and now with the new shop they should be able to get them out faster too. Their Osprey barrels are very accurate! I’d highly recommend them.

Patriot Valley Arms does great work! All the prefits I have now for my TL3s were done by Josh @bohem and now with the new shop they should be able to get them out faster too. Their Osprey barrels are very accurate! I’d highly recommend them.
I should probably grab one of those CDM barrels on sale...thanks.