• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Windows Ballistics (WinBal) for PC- Anyone ever used it?

Smooth73

Private
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2013
Park Falls, WI
Years ago I when I was on the search for a decent free external ballistics program for the PC, I came across WinBal (Windows Ballistics) and was wondering if anyone else is familiar with this program. If not, I think you can still find it online somewhere- just Google WinBal.zip and you should be able to find it.

It is a pretty simplistic program, no fancy user interface or anything; kinda plain jane Windows-typical format. However, the reason I liked it so much was that it was pretty extensive in what it included for free software. It was the first one I found back then that allowed a user to extend ranges out past 1000 yds, and took in all considerable variables. It also allows you to save information and print out trajectory charts, etc. It has a pretty extensive library (I think there is a paid version in which you can receive updates), but where I think it really shines is that it has a built in BC computer allowing the user to configure their own custom loads and compute the BC of the given input. From there you can plug your BC data into the fields and find trajectories, etc.

If anyone has used this software, can you tell me how it compares to newer programs such as Ballistic AE, Shooter, etc.? I'm looking for something that works as well as this for my Ipod Touch to take with me to the range. I've been thinking of purchasing Ballistic AE, but not sure if it is going to have everything I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Compare to JBM Ballistics that is online. Also, I believe snipercountry.com has Winbal for download.

Thanks Culpeper, I just checked out JBM Ballistic for the first time today, seems pretty thorough and it's not expensive at all. Is this the main program you use? Or do you use a combination of programs?