• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Windows Laptop choices

TurdFerguson

thinking sucks
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2014
Burgerworld
Which one of these laptop will fuck me the least or will at least wear a rubber? Would be used mostly for work/home.

Dell Latitude 15.6 3540 laptop

or

Lenovo Thinkpad E16 laptop

Mostly surfing the web/watching movies/tv. Would also be used to run Excel, SILVAH, FVS, R ect (Statistics/Data Collection/Analysis software). All isn't to hard to run. I currently use an MSI modern with an I5/16 gig of ram but its starting to show its age.

Reactions: Compadre
Of the two I'd go with the Lenovo. Heard a lot of negatives about Dell. And buy it at Best Buy, free 18 month financing, nothing down.

Reactions: TurdFerguson
I'd go Dell because they're an American company and the support is decent for a computer manufacturer. Lenovo got bought up by the Chinese within the last decade. And of those two the Dell has the batter faster CPU.

Last edited:
I have lots of reasons I would say go with Dell (and my experience level spans 20 + years and literally 100's of thousands of machines)

but

I can't say anything bad about the Thinkpad series from Lenovo (this is their better model line) I do not have the same experience level, however, I have friends in the industry that do and swear Thinkpads are the best.

I don't think you would go wrong with either choice.

Be aware of a couple of points. The Dell in your link has a much stronger processor
both have shit small hard drives
the Thinkpad has a 3 year warranty included, the Dell is a one year (and dell will let you buy a 3 year later).

You can't make a bad choice between those two.

If you want a real laptop there is always Clevo.
Yea, haven't heard of those have you ?
Of course a safe second bet is always a Clevo.
You could certainly get a Sager, which is of course a rebranded Clevo.
Xotic PC has a house branded high end laptop that is a rebranded Clevo.
HIDevolution has a house branded laptop that is a Clevo.

You couldn't give me a Dell....or pay me to take a HP.
Lenovo's are just meh..

Do you know how to install SSD/RAM/OS on a laptop ?
Then go here for about the only really good deal on a kick ass lappy.
Highly recommended and is where I got the one I am typing on now.

Read reviews.
Read more reviews.

Figure out which one can be upgraded with the most RAM. Windows 11 is a resource hog and you may be at 40-50% memory usage with just the installed 16 gb.

When I need a "new" laptop I buy an off-lease Dell business-class laptop directly from Dell. I do this about every ten years. That is all I can say. They have never had weird shit installed on them. They run just as fast as the day you get them.... for years.

Which one of these laptop will fuck me the least or will at least wear a rubber? Would be used mostly for work/home.

Dell Latitude 15.6 3540 laptop

or

Lenovo Thinkpad E16 laptop

Mostly surfing the web/watching movies/tv. Would also be used to run Excel, SILVAH, FVS, R ect (Statistics/Data Collection/Analysis software). All isn't to hard to run. I currently use an MSI modern with an I5/16 gig of ram but its starting to show its age.
As mentioned above Dell has a much better processor.

Buy the Dell if those are your only two choices you are looking at. .

Personally I'd look at business class laptops like the XPS or Lenovo Thinkpads if you want something that's built well and will last.

Hard to go wrong with an XPS. I used to buy all my laptops used off ebay. You can generally get a great condition XPS or Thinkpad that's a couple years old for much less than new.

Reactions: Srgt. Hulka
Personally I'd look at business class laptops like the XPS or Lenovo Thinkpads if you want something that's built well and will last.

Hard to go wrong with an XPS. I used to buy all my laptops used off ebay. You can generally get a great condition XPS or Thinkpad that's a couple years old for much less than new.

I've been looking at the XPS 13. The only thing that I worry about on it is repairability, upgrades and not becoming "dongle city". Is memory soldered to the board on them?

XPS is a nice laptop
Latitude is more business oriented, no question

Unless you are getting an XPS cheaper than a Latitude, I would stick with the latitiude
The only reason to blow more on the XPS is it has a more modern design/look to it some people love.

and XPS assumes ALL your devices are 100% USB C (which they might be at this point, up to you to deicide)
I still want a USB A, I am an old dick like that ;)

Don't buy your laptop from Best Buy.

If you want to get a Dell one, either get it from one of the various Dell sites or get a decent used one on eBay.
Put your own SSD in and your own more memory, load your own OS from scratch and go to town.

I prefer the Precision line but it's kind of whatever you want.

My wife has a gaming HP she's had for a few years now and I'm honestly shocked how well it's held up. Last I knew of HP their quality sucked but hers has lasted longer than we expected. They used to make some of the nicest business class stuff.

For a laptop right now I have a Thinkpad Extreme X1 Gen 1 I got for a 4th of its selling cost and it's a great system.

My backup laptop is a Toughbook lol

My XPS is from 2013 and works great. Go Dell...Lenovo is not a Thinkpad. The IBM Thinkpad was awesome..Lenovo is NOT. Its a POS. HP is middle road. Dell XPS from Dell outlet or Ebay is where it is at.

Last edited:
Battery will be fine. Mine a 2013 still works fine for about 2 hours. A new one will last a long time. Battery is replaceable Get the 32gb if you can and 1tb SSD.

Your link is dead, assume you linked to an XPS 13 model 9315

I would get a latitude :)

I gave my older daughter a latitude, her 100lb dog decided to jump on it for some unknown reason, fucked the screen up, everytihng else was fine. $35 got a used screen off ebay, had it replaced in less than 10 minutes. Everything on a latitude is easily replaced.

I am also looking for a laptop and was thinking of this.

I am not putting the time in to go price shop this for you, can't speak if you are getting any sort of good deal with regards to specs

Will just comment the Pavillion series is cheap. It works, it will run, it looks feels and is cheap. I am amazed they work, but they do work. I wouldn't hesitiate to buy it if the price was right

Reactions: FredBart
Dell Precision Mobile Workstation, configured how you want it, or as your budget allows. They are Dell's higher end, business laptops and are truly a cut above. I'm on my third one and will get another, next year.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
I would strongly suggest for something you plan on using for more than a year or two 32 gigs minimum RAM.
Yup, minimum.
It's cheap these days to purchase aftermarket RAM and it's real easy to install as long as the factory shit ain't soldered in.
I would personally refuse ANY laptop that had soldered in RAM, they do not have the best intentions for you if it is so.
Intel is pretty easy to buy for, if the CPU is a AMD be sure to check the compatibility as they aren't so forgiving.

A simple NVME drive should not be smaller than 1 Tb (terrabyte).
I would shoot for a 2Tb in anything that is going to be used.
They are also cheap as hell right now and you can probably get a 4Tb in the $225 or so range.
Read reviews on those, some are great, some not so much so.
Any modern lappy should have at least 2 NVME slots, another thing I would refuse if it only had 1.

While people that are happy with what they are dealt can wax on about whatever Dell or Lenovo gives you, look deeper and make sure there is expandability.
Asus is another brand I would not turn my nose up at.
Stay away from the too plasticky MSI, they are junk.

I know nothing about Asus laptops
They make great motherboards, but that doesn't mean anything here

will toss this out there

1705096282605.png

looks like max ram is 64gb

I will still say go with the big 3 (Dell, HP, Lenovo) but that doesn't mean other choices are bad.

Get her a Dell, Strong an nicely built plus they are made in America.
Dell and HP -- which together shipped more than 133 million notebook and desktop computers in 2021, according to data provider Canalys -- have most of their assembly in the Chinese cities of Kunshan, Jiangsu province, and Chongqing, Sichuan province.Jan 5, 2023

Ya wanna rethink that one maybe ?

Dell does still do some assembly in the US, but pretty sure that is limited to servers these days. Even if assembled in the US, parts and chips still come from China (for now)

I am pretty sure Dell laptops are not made in the US. It is however 100% possible to buy TAA compliant laptops. They cost about $30 more, usually have a made in Ireland sticker on them ;)

Well my Dell 2021 XPS says MADE IN AMERICA.
It isn't.
There are currently zero manufacturers of CPU/RAM/SSD/HDD in the US.
Of course they all have a large office complex here, no actual manufacturing exists here.
Only server grade motherboards are currently made in the US (supermicro and enterprise level HP if I recall correctly).
All screens and monitors are made in asia of any brand.
I could go on but no need to bore y'all.
This can easily be verified via Google if you need to fact check me.

• Wow
So,.....Everything is made in China and they can not be avoided, Got it!

Yes in the end that is pretty much correct for almost all consumer level computing equipment at some point or other.

I deal in enterprise server computing.
Sure it's made in Mexico, Made in Europe, Made in the USA, Made in Taiwan, Made in Korea etc.
BUT you start tearing it apart to the individual boards and such and a lot of it comes from China and then further assembly is done elswhere.
Or parts come from elsewhere with assembly done in China then further integration done elsewhere.

Trump cut some deals to try and bring some manufacturing back to the US, this was one I remember, good to see it is still moving forward and didn't get suicided by the current administration

but I bet that dumb Hobbs cunt takes credit for it :D