• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Windows Mobile, free ballistics

HadManySons

Private
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2009
Jacksonville, Ar
A member of another forum directed me and I can't believe I've never heard of this forum. All that aside..

I said I was gonna do and I did. I've made BallCalc, a FREE ballistics calculator for Windows Mobile. I know someone say there was another called TrajectoryCalc but I found it to be lacking in features and also no longer in development. So I made my own. As it stands in the this release the program takes basic ballistics information, and atmospheric correction data too , then calculates a solution and displays it in a table. I plan to add a line graph to show you a graphical representation of the flight path, import weather data from the internet, use GPS to get the weather data for where you are, save the calculations to a file and many other.

I made this program for you, my fellow shooters. So I ask those who can to go the range as use it. Tell me features you like, what you don't like. What you would like to see, if it just looks ugly.

Bear with though if you do find bugs, i'm a computer programmer by hobby and an airplane mechanic by trade so I work on it when I can. Feel free to give the program to anyone as well. This program is licensed under the GNU GPL.

I've tested the program on touch screen phones. Windows Mobile 6 and Pocket PC 2003 seem to work fine. As far as you non-touch screen folks, I havn't tested it on yet but it should, in theory, work. I won't forget about you but it will be a bit before i can get a non-touchscreen version out. Also, blackberry, iPhone and Nokia folks, i didn't forget about you. Just didn't have the time. Hang in there.

As it stands, the code is at version 1.7. I just the the whole download the weather working.

Let me know what you guys think. How well did it work for you at the range, what extra features would you like to see?

http://ballcalc.sourceforge.net

OH YEAH, it's not a virus. A couple people had brought that up because I was new to another forum and thought that I was trying to spread a virus or some crap. Not the case. It's open source so you can verify that for yourself. I may be new to this forum but I've been around for a while.
wink.gif

Re: Windows Mobile, free ballistics

I just discovered the exterior ballistics forum. Think I might have posted this in the wrong place if mods want to move it. My bad.

Ready for the Blackberry version. I will wait, Patiently.

I can confirm it works. Pretty accurate too. It would be nice if you could display the drop in mils instead of just inches though.

is it compatible with non touch screen or only touch screen?

*edit*

Never mind did not read the middle section that says "in theory" it should work.

I've got a BlackJack II running windows mobile 6 and I can confirm it works for non touch screen phones. It's pretty rough but it "works"

Attention all you NON touch screen folks. I'm working on that version right now. It'll take a little bit but at least I have the code already, just need to make the user interface. So.... sit tight, it'll be ready soon enough.

Also, I tested that link in my original post just a second ago, worked fine for me.

Blackberry and Android versions are in the works right now. Not by me but another guy now associated with the project. So, stay tuned.

Cool. I am qualified for an upgraded phone from Verizon but I've been dragging my feet. I'll have to look for one that runs Windows Mobile 6.0 and try it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HadManySons</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Blackberry and Android versions are in the works right now. Not by me but another guy now associated with the project. So, stay tuned. </div></div>

Thanks from the BlackBerry crowd.

Hey ManySons

Great project first of all.

Just curious but I did some training with a fella' from Jax, Ar back in 94 a Ft. Stewart. That wouldn't happen to be you would it?

HadmanySons,

I bought a PDA so I could use your software!

I got a ASUS A626 running windows Mobile 6. I downloaded your touchscreen versions and it kicks ass! I have not used it in the fields yet, just got it installed and checked it against all the numbers I currently have, and its very accurate. It gives very close read out to the JBM calculator, wich is what I used to have to use, print it, then remember to take it with my to the range.

Good stuff, and keep up the good work. Thanks for a fantastic and sassy software. (waiting on you) I read that, and laughed out loud.

Welcome to the hide.
Looking forward to the non touch screen version.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jumper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cool. I am qualified for an upgraded phone from Verizon but I've been dragging my feet. I'll have to look for one that runs Windows Mobile 6.0 and try it out.</div></div>

I just downloaded this on my Samsung Omnia from verizon... love the phone and the program works great on it!

Hello, and welcome.

Before you go spending a lot of time developing your software for the iPhone, be aware that Knight's Ordnance have produced an app for the iPhone (think it's called bullet path or something). It is NOT free, but the upgrades are. It seems to work well and gives similar results to Sierra infinity V.

It does everything you've described, and now gives the G7 as well as the G1 drag curves, and G7 bc's.

If you know someone that has an iPhone, it might be worth you looking at it. I think that I paid about £5-99 (about $9) to download the app originally, but all of the upgrades are free, and it just keeps getting better and better.

Didn't want to rain on your parade, but didn't want you to spend precious time re-inventing the wheel.

If you still want to go the iPhone route, I'll download your FREE app and give it a go.

Hope you take this in the spirit it's meant.

Good luck and keep up the good work!

N

Just d/l'd it and installed on my IPAQ running WM 5.0, Runs fine and looks good. I would love to see the results displayed in MOA and Mils. Mayby a drop down box in the options menu where you would select Inches, MOA, or Mils. That would be the cat's ass. Great job on the coding. Close to Exbal results.

One thing that I would like to see is the option to remove some of the fields in the results table, I dont need to see inches drop and windage, just the MOA, a lot of clutter, that I dont use, and would make for quicker solutions, rather than scroling 5 colums accross to see wind dope.

Other than that, the program is the shit.

Attention: Non-Touch Screen people, your time has come!

BallCalc designed for windows mobile non-touch screen (NTS) is ready for your testing.

Some changes...

Had to break up the input window into two things, main input and atmospheric window. It was just easier this way with a smaller screen.

Compute solution is now in the menu and not right there. Again, way to simplify my life.
smile.gif

For some reason the Save Solution options doesn't work right. I'm working on it. But for now it doesn't work.

I also did not get to test the Get Weather function because I designed this on an emulator (I don't have an NTS phone) and that emulator does not have the internet. So.... someone please test that function and let me know if it works right.

ALSO, version 1.8 for the Touch Screen devices is out as well.

I fixed a typo, made the input window stop being the first thing that you see and added buttons to each window for you folks with *cough* big hands.

As always, http://ballcalc.sourceforge.net

touchem308:
I don't think so. I was ten years old in '94
shocked.gif

HasgunWillTravel:
I'm glad you like it. I'd feel like an @$$ if you bought a PDA and didn't like it
whistle.gif
I will try to work in your suggestions about removing un-necessary stuff from the range window in the future but I should concentrate on the Blackberry version now because those folks are obviously suffering.

Paduan Learner:
I appreciate the heads up and am aware of the program for the iPhone. The fact that there are some decent program for not an unreasonable price is the reason i'm gonna concentrate on other version right now. But i'll get to the iPhone too. Cause as long as there isn't a free program that's better than mine out there, i'll keep on trucking.

Hogshooter:
That's a good idea that I think HasgunWillTravel was kind of getting at. If I can make that happen easily and quickly than I'll try to work that in real quick. But if it's gonna be PITA than I'll slip that one in after a beta version gets out for Blackberries.

I'm having some trouble on my Blackjack II, it freezes the screen, can go back to main start menu/screen, but doesnt allow me to download weather or do some other essentials.

I only installed the CAD file, was I supposed to install the other 2 files?

edit, sorry didn't read the part about the weather in your post. Ya, it's non functioning right now.

Non-Touch Screen Version 1.1 is out

-Shrank the Input Window quite a bit so that it (hopefully) doesn't run off the screen anymore
-Removed the menu from every window except the main screen, since it didn't work anyway

http://ballcalc.sourceforge.net

Apache: Which specific part freezes the screen? And no. The other two files are the source code and the program in a zip file. The .CAB file is all you should need.

had many sons
i have a palm centro
which version do i need im a little cell phone stupid so ill need a little guidance on the install

by the way welcome to the hide

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gumball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok how does one go about installing this </div></div>

I downloaded it to my pc and sync'd my pc with my phone unzipped the file and manually moved to an easy to find place on my phone. Once on my phone( i have a motorola q) I placed it under the start menu folder

now I just have to access my start menu and its there

My only issue is that it doesn't use the entire screen, so I can still see parts of the background when using the program. OOH and it doesn't save any of my inputs to reload later

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paduan Learner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello, and welcome.

Before you go spending a lot of time developing your software for the iPhone, be aware that Knight's Ordnance have produced an app for the iPhone (think it's called bullet path or something). It is NOT free, but the upgrades are. It seems to work well and gives similar results to Sierra infinity V.

It does everything you've described, and now gives the G7 as well as the G1 drag curves, and G7 bc's.

If you know someone that has an iPhone, it might be worth you looking at it. I think that I paid about £5-99 (about $9) to download the app originally, but all of the upgrades are free, and it just keeps getting better and better.

Didn't want to rain on your parade, but didn't want you to spend precious time re-inventing the wheel.

If you still want to go the iPhone route, I'll download your FREE app and give it a go.

Hope you take this in the spirit it's meant.

Good luck and keep up the good work!

N </div></div>

There's also a program for the iPhone called Ballistic. It's what I use and it gives me numbers basically identical to numbers you get out of other ballistics programs. I like it because I can easily export charts with multiple trajectories on them for comparison. I think it was $7.

I've downloaded it to my pc, but I'm having trouble sync'ing it to my phone. Any help?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cheyenne19</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've downloaded it to my pc, but I'm having trouble sync'ing it to my phone. Any help? </div></div>

It didn't work when you just checked the checkbox next to it in the applications tab in iTunes and then re-synced the phone?

hadmanysons, it works on with all of the input aside from "get weather data" but when I input all of my data, and go to the range table, there is no BACK button that will go back to previous screens. to get back to those screens I have to shut down my phone and restart the program.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Market Garden</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cheyenne19</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've downloaded it to my pc, but I'm having trouble sync'ing it to my phone. Any help? </div></div>

It didn't work when you just checked the checkbox next to it in the applications tab in iTunes and then re-synced the phone? </div></div>

I have a blackjackII. So I don't use i Tunes.

Cheyenne so do I, here is all you need to do.

Download the .cab file for non touch screen
place the .cab file onto your phone directly, adding it directly to your documents
Once that is on the phone itself, go to apps, file explorer then select the ballcalc.cab file and hit install.

Well trying to load this program onto my Blackjack II has been a frustrating exercise.

"Installation of BallCalcNTSSetup1_1CAB was unsuccessful"

Is all I get.

I got it to load NTS 1.0 but as you mentioned it was not sized correctly and would not navigate, cannot "back up", and ultimatly locks up. No Joy.

Thank you for your efforts writing this on your time and sharing.

I'll keep trying - my problems are probably self inflicted. I'm not very electronic savy.

DSMcG

Guys,
Excuse my ignorance. Is it possible to download this program to a pc then to the phone USING the memory card? If so, can y'all explain how to do it? If specs are needed its a motorola moto Q, windows mobile 6. TIA

SOTA

Sota, assuming that the memory card which goes in your phone can be read/written in your computer, do this:

1. Put the card in the computer.
2. Using Windows Explorer, copy the .CAB file to the card, in a place easy to find.
3. Remove the card from the computer, and put it in the phone.
4. Using File Explorer on the phone, move the file from the card to the folder My Device/Program Files.
5. Tap the .CAB file to install.

Lindy,
Thanks. Shoulda known you would have known about doing this. Simple for you. PITA for me.

SOTA

HADMANYSONS,
Have you given any thought to making a mil adjustment option to the program? What other options are you considering? Inquiring minds wanna know.

SOTA

I am having no luck making it work. I have Dell axim x50V with mobile 2003 second edition and my computer runs vista ultimate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cheyenne19</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Apparently I'm dumb. I can't seem to place it directly on my phone. </div></div>

If you have it on a removable card just go to the start menu, file manager, storage card.

From there just move the ballistics calc from the card to either my documents or start menu.

I moved it to my start menu and have it as my right soft key shortcut

Any Luck On the blackberry Application?

Ok. It looks like a lot of people are having issues. If you are still having problems with either version of the program please send me a private message with a little detail. It's kind of hard to keep track of it all in this format. I will do my best to resolve everyone's issues.