• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Winter Project: Building My First Concealment Suit

MountainKing

Private
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2011
Indiana
This is my first 'live' post, I think I got it in the right place based on what I am seeing, if not I apologize ahead of time.

So moving right along;

I am planning on using my down time in the winter when I don't do a great deal outside as most of my hobbies dry up in the winter months, to build my first stalking/concealment suit.

In the past, I had used a Bushrag Chameleon suit for Hunting, Airsoft, and Paintball, not particularly in that order. While I liked the material, and at the time thought I was pretty damn slick, I've come to find out that pre-made suits are not so much the way to go, and to be honest the full Bushrag suit made it a pain in the ass to move/stalk/or crawl, let alone carry any kind of significant kit.

For about two weeks prior to registering on this forum, I had been digging around the internet trying to find something that would suit my needs, but at the same time I was not entirely comfortable with making my own because I didn't want to throw that kind of cash into something I might screw up. What I came to find was this;

http://www.tacticalconcealment.com/pd_cobra_hood.cfm

I am fairly certain, after what I have read on this forum, and what I have seen around, that the OC-4 option is what I will need/like. That is, as I understand, what is pictured there on the left hand side of that site page.

The kit I intend to use with with, is a slim Camel Bak hydration carrier, a Woodland or 'Les' pattern Russian M23 Pioneer Chest Rig, and a pair of subloads as needed, but that is another conversation all together.

This platform seems appealing to me due to the fact it will grant great freedom of motion, and work great with the kit I was already planning on building around.

Where I need some help, and would appreciate the input of those with sage experience, is this;

1.)The suit comes in a Coyote/Camel Brown looking color. Where I operate is in a hilly/woody area that has many transitions from deep dark forest, to areas of tall elephant grass that can go from a 'moderate' green if you will, to a light green/yellow color, depending on the time of year and weather. When I say woody, I mean single layer new growth, right into triple canopy/prehistoric forestry. What I am getting at here is lights and darks will change dynamically and quickly. Where I am going here is, what would be an ideal way to blend the ghille material into this suit to create a pattern that would bleed well in summer time conditions as described.

2.)Would it be best to ask to have this suit made in an olive drab base, or use a spray paint to create a green base? From the research I have done, that kind of material the said suit is made from does not support taking up dye very well.
-Addendum to this point;
*Would the suit itself be fine remaining in this advertised color, with the appropriate green material woven into the grids over it?

My intended function of the suit is the following, as found on the website;

LP/OP
Reconnaissance/Intelligence Gathering
Ranging
Surveillance
Forward Observation
Dismounted Patrol
Ambush Line

I figured that based on the material available on this site in regards to this suit, as there seem to be several posts about it which are all positive, and the general knowledge base, that this was place to ask.

Thanks in advance for all the help, and my apologies again if put this in the wrong place.

Re: Winter Project: Building My First Concealment Suit

as a rule, a tan sort of base will work in most environments in the US, with the addition of natural veg of course. keep in mind, its pretty easy to veg up a tan based garment to match a green environment when necessary, but pretty hard to take a green suit and make it match a tan/brown environment. mid tone bases are the way to go in my opinion unless you are only going to be standing in a rain forest.

i'd recommend ordering a bunch of dyes, jute, and the alternative garnish materials with the garment you order from tac con and get to work. lots of practice goes achieving the colors you need, but its worth it in the end. if you want to disappear anywhere, you are going to have to tie on some veg.

Thanks for the reply.

Natural vegetation was something I had planned on using with the suit as is, suppose I should have mentioned that.

I never thought much about the brown to green, green to brown thing, and I'll keep that in mind when I start experimenting, thank you.

MountainKing... I am actually doing a thread on the Tactical Concealment Cobra Hood with BackDrape... I just added some information today, with pictures.

I went with more of a tan base, with a MULTI-CAM garment, because my intended use for this is the Law Enforcement Sniper Team, or Narcotics Team that needs to do short term surveillance. I don't mean to hijack your thread Brother... but have a look. My take on the product is that it is very solid. Mike, at Tactical Concealment is a solid guy, that knows the industry. He will answer any of your questions completely.

They are not a full MILSPEC Ghillie, but unless you need one of those, or will be doing tons of prone work, give them a look.

Here's a link to my thread...

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2866026#Post2866026

Cheers,

DMack

Hey I book marked your thread for future reference, thank you.

My initial plan, which we will see how froggy I am once I get the garment, was to make one for late spring/deep summer, and then one for early fall-early spring.

My base BDU for the greener months would be Woodland MARPAT/CADPAT. The browner months, Desert MARPAT.

I've got a lot of youtube videos favorited to ingest, as well as threads on here I need to comb through before I purchase the first piece of burlap or jute. There is a very impressive knowledge base here.

Give SierraWhiskey a shout on here. He builds world class ghillies and is very knowledgeable. If he can't help ya, no one can.

Cheers!

If you're still looking around for suggestions:
I honestly would stay away from buying brand new kit and start out with making one on your own. Not to say the stuff you can buy isn't good, it is. But the knowledge/skill/fieldcraft/appreciation gained from making one first is key to knowing what is needed and what works for you.
BDU/DCU/MARPAT are all good bases. I stay away from synthetic jute personally, has a shine to it for a while. Add a cordura front of whatever camo you want. Try to stay away from black at all costs, it is not a natural color. Dark greens are considerably more effective. Relocate/add pockets. Stitch/shoe goo/ziptie on a 550 cord grid for tie downs and jute. Reinforce areas as needed. Add padding. Then when you think it is all good, get it dirty. I mean put it on, roll/drag/dive or whatever in the mud/water/dirt from the area and let it dry.
The key to blending with the environment doesn't truly fall on the base though, spray paint can always be used and works well. But your jute and veg is KEY. If you veg up in one area and move to an area with different veg, re-veg. Shadows help.
Hope some of this help. Good luck and have fun with it.