• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winter shooting challenge

MarkCZ

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2018
I have rimfire steel setup at a local range. I have 4", 3",2" and 1" gongs at 100yds and 150yds. The range where I hold my Long Range 22LR match (RRRC) has about anything. I'm thinking 4", 3", 2" at 200yds.
I'm thinking 3", 2" and 1" at 100 and 150yds.
3" scores 1 point ea.
2" scores 2 points ea.
1" scores 3 points ea.
sighters then 10 rounds for record

200yds 4", 3"and 2" 200yds.
4" scores 1 point ea.
3" scores 2 points ea.
2" scores 3 points
sighters then 10 rounds for record.

What do you think? What challenge do you have?

I think the target sizing mentioned is small. Too much luck is involved. Especially in cold weather with rimfire.

My thoughts.

Reactions: JohnTheFisherman
It will be shot from a bench, with bi-pods and rear bag. What size do you think?

100 is close.
150 should be what 200 is.
200 should be an inch bigger.

This is weather dependent, so I would size up based on the actual conditions of the day.

I shoot a .22 match here in Maine at 300yds. 8” for 1 point, 6” for 2 points and a 4” for 3 points. 5 strings of 10 shots each for a total of 50 shots for each shooter. You must hit the 8” before you can try the 6”. If you hit the 6” you can try the 4”. A miss forces you back a plate.
High possible for a string is 27. For the match, highest possible score is 135. From memory, actual highest is 67. In the January match, highest score for the match was a 27! Windy and cold!
Rim X, Vudoo, Begara, CZ, you name it, it’s there. High end optics as well. Very challenging

Reactions: Pipefitter I’m
I shoot a .22 match here in Maine at 300yds. 8” for 1 point, 6” for 2 points and a 4” for 3 points. 5 strings of 10 shots each for a total of 50 shots for each shooter. You must hit the 8” before you can try the 6”. If you hit the 6” you can try the 4”. A miss forces you back a plate.
High possible for a string is 27. For the match, highest possible score is 135. From memory, actual highest is 67. In the January match, highest score for the match was a 27! Windy and cold!
Rim X, Vudoo, Begara, CZ, you name it, it’s there. High end optics as well. Very challenging
I like it. That will work for mine. Do you get sighter or just start with record rounds?

Reactions: glmf40
Do KYL racks with like 1" or 1/2" increments.

Start big like 8" or 6" and move down. Hit to advance.

We had a match with like 12 plates on a single KYL rack. Lower skill people got some shooting in and the really good guys got some serious challenge. I think it was a 15rnd stage. So there was a mag change. If you managed to clean it...you repeated hits on the smallest plate.

Or....shoot the back rack first. Will add some challenge. But it will also have lower skill shooters ending the stage on a rack they have a higher likelihood of clearing. Leave the stage on a high note.

No sighters. Shooters should come ready to go. They can come early and shoot on a separate portion of the range to gather dope. Or gather dope before they arrive. 1pt per impact...people will fuck up the scoring otherwise. Simple is better.

You have two racks with 6 or more plates each....your gonna have plenty of dispersion in score due to the "hit to advance" portion.

Time can be 2 minutes. Start standing all gear in hand. Will burn a little time for some. Or start prone, mag in, bolt back if you want it tad easier.

We shoot the 6oz Bug Juice bottles at 300 yds. Drill holes in theland scape log and set bottles in up side down. Plate on left is 10x10.
bug juice.jpg

Reactions: Pipefitter I’m