• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winter Shooting Gear

Ubaderb

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2020
Anyone have any recommendations or advice on what to do for winter gear? Shooting my first full season this year and we go year round. I live in KY so my winter is 30ish-50ish but wet. The whole Kuiu setup looks perfect but I’m not at the $1k price range just yet. Closer to $500. How many layers do I need? Base layer and just a warm jacket? PRS is 60-90 seconds of moving followed by 20 minutes of nothing. So I don’t want to be to warm and sweat a lot.

Sometimes you can get deals from snowmobile shops getting rid of last years inventory this time of year before the new stuff comes in. Stuff keeps you warm going 80mph in 0* temps

But might have to drive a ways from Kentucky

This is all the women's gear for 30-50F, should treat ya right 😬

Kidding aside, I use these gloves for hunting during cold days and they punch above their weight, especially if you've got thin liners.

The base layers from midway USA are inexpensive and work well, and a basic water proof coat oughta take care of it.

Base layer use whatever long underwear you want. Get a Rothco waffle top for a good mid layer.

Then go to Sportsmans Guide and look at the Brooklyn Armed Forces "surplus".

It is Crye's off brand from what I have heard and they have ECWCS level 7 jackets and pants I think. That stuff is awesome for when you are sitting in the cold.

Reactions: camocorvette
Base layer use whatever long underwear you want. Get a Rothco waffle top for a good mid layer.

Then go to Sportsmans Guide and look at the Brooklyn Armed Forces "surplus".

It is Crye's off brand from what I have heard and they have ECWCS level 7 jackets and pants I think. That stuff is awesome for when you are sitting in the cold.
Lots of ECWCS gear available on eBay as well. You can damn near put together a full kit for about 500 bucks.

Check out beyond clothing website they have an excellent layering guide and if you can get their clothes on eBay, you’ll get a hell of a deal for some high-quality gear

Reactions: PDXGS
Did anyone read the OP. This man needs mild-weather rain gear for his ”winter”.

base layer :synthetic, it dries the fastest
mid layer: fleece or wool, or something like Patagonias Regulator series R1. Their R1 hoody is the best piece of mid layer insulating gear I’ve ever used.
Full side zip fleece pants are indestructible and plenty warm for legs under rain gear And easy to get on and off if the temps change.

Maybe a synthetic “puffy” something for colder days. No down.

Rain gear: single layer goretex If you are bougie. Think ArcTeryx if you want fancy or get a plastic sack….it really doesn’t matter since there’s essentially no exertion. Sweat is not the issue. Keeping the wet out is. Even a DWR treated lightweight rain jacket/pants will likely work unless it is just pouring all day. Wide brimmed rain hat is nice if it’s really raining.

I shot today in fleece lined pants, insulated coveralls, sweatshirt, puffy jacket, 500 fill down vest, beenie and gloves…and it was just enough to keep me from shivering. And my next match is forecast to be 10* colder than today. I long for winters of 40*s.

Reactions: 308pirate
Get a gore tex jacket. The surplus German flecktarn stuff is actually really good.

Get that Rothco waffle top I mentioned.

Spend the money and get a Wild Things Tactical soft shell jacket. They are about 150 bucks and absolutely phenomenal.

Get some type of soft shell pants. Your choice.

I switch from flip flops to under armor shoes in the winter. Might wear a hoodie.

Being cold sucks.

Honestly for 30-50F im doing jeans, a hoodie and vest over base layers. a frog togs type light rain shell if its in the forecast. some warm gloves. puffy stuff gets in the way. If its snowing or windy AF im wearing a whole lotta nope and fuck that.

You can find some good variety of all weather gear at the army navy type stores.

Reactions: Anb618
Get a gore tex jacket. The surplus German flecktarn stuff is actually really good.

Get that Rothco waffle top I mentioned.

Spend the money and get a Wild Things Tactical soft shell jacket. They are about 150 bucks and absolutely phenomenal.

Get some type of soft shell pants. Your choice.
Wild thing, drifire, beyond, crye.

Just looked up wild things gear and the soft shell is upwards of $750, pants are $666 wtf?

30-50 and wet? Pants, t shirt and a hoodie/sweater mid layer and then a durable goretex shell. The Arcteryx alpha and beta stuff holds up to hard use. REI house brand stuff is great for a budget option, you can get their goretex pants and jacket for about $250 total. They hold up very well just not like the Arcteryx, but cost a fraction of the price.

Before someone says it, yes I know REI is left but it’s a cool ass store and company otherwise so suck it.

Reactions: Ubaderb and BurtG
Sometimes you can get deals from snowmobile shops getting rid of last years inventory this time of year before the new stuff comes in. Stuff keeps you warm going 80mph in 0* temps

But might have to drive a ways from Kentucky
this...

all the hunting and specialized clothing is over priced and under performs compared to real gear

look at what the top athletes wear in particular weather

you dont see a Olympic shooter, or someone trying to summit Everest etc using any "hunting/tactical gear"

north face, columbia, spyder, canadian goose etc

the rest is a step down with camo patterns

NASA just used Columbia's omni heat to insulate something on a space craft...they didnt ask sitka, deluth, wiggies for their thinsulate lining

Dress like you would for deer hunting in similar conditions. You’re not going to work up a sweat on a 90 second stage, shooting a rifle from a prop. If you do, maybe do some more cardio during the week. Throw a set of packable rain gear into your shooting bag. Use as necessary.

Reactions: ma smith and Modoc
Another thought would be to get some surplus USGI GoreTex and a bottle of GoreTex treatment for rain protection. Then just slayer up like you would for any cooler weather.

FWIW, I have Kuiu, Arcterex, and Columbia for outerwear and various levels of Polypropylene and wool for base layers. This works for me until it gets real cold (10* to -20*F).

And I do see those lower temperatures in Northern CA.

Reactions: BurtG
Can confirm theres 2 minutes of shooting and 20+ min of standing around. rinse and repeat.

Can confirm theres 2 minutes of shooting and 20+ min of standing around. rinse and repeat.
20 mins of stage prepping , spotting other squad members for score , and watching shooters on the next stage try and get a better wind call

20 mins of stage prepping , spotting other squad members for score , and watching shooters on the next stage try and get a better wind call
I just went to a match yesterday. It was a chilly 25F°- 35F° for the day. I almost put on my snow pants.

lol, 20 minutes of stage prep? wtf are you doing for stage prep that takes 20 minutes, running out to hang targets?
spotting for shooters... standing around
keeping time... standing around
keeping score... standing around
run a kestrel... standing around
ranging targets... standing around.
loading mags... standing around

Only time not standing around is shooting, moving to the next stage, and helping pick up brass.

Dont be a dick, stay with your squad.

• Haha
Marino wool 125 weight top and bottom, Synthetic pants, Outdoor Research Ferossi top, and a basic Goretex shell. For an additional layer, any grid poly top and a marino wool beanie. For wool, I prefer Minus 33 over Smartwool.
In various layers, that should cover 90 degrees down to freezing.

Helpful hint for keeping feet warm when static, have a 18"x18" piece of isopad (yoga mat, sleeping pad) to stand on. Getting your feet off of cold ground helps more than you think.

I suggest Baffin pac boots. I have the warmest version, but they are absolutely HUGE compared to Sorels so if you’re not going to be out in actual cold weather (0°F and below) then get one of their less extreme models.

Do NOT wear such heavy socks that your foot is tightly packed into the boot. Looser fit = blood circulation and warm feet.

Sorels are now made in Asia and suck. I’ve seen so many Amazon reviews about their rubber splitting it isn’t funny.

Layers.

Wear a toque even if you aren’t initially cold. A big big tip in cold weather is: To stay warm, don’t get cold.

Sounds idiotic. But basically, don’t let yourself get cold and it’s waaay easier to stay warm, you dig? It’s hard to get warmer if you’re just standing around.

Tuck your fucking shirt in. Otherwise you’re bellowing out your heat every time you move. Bibs help prevent this.

If you’re dressing for activity, a good rule of thumb is to dress just to the point of feeling a bit a bit cold, a bit uncomfortable. If you dress to warm comfort you’ll sweat like a pig.

Gloves when you touch things, especially metal. Your life leaks through your hands in cold weather. And yeah, can’t really do this when handling ammo as you need dexterity. Could try those gloves with just the trigger finger tip cut off (or do it yourself).

In really cold weather (below -20°F), moderate your movements so you don’t sweat. Being wet will kill your ass.

I know you’re in warm Kentucky but maybe you won’t always be. Or maybe someone else can use these tips.

Edit: forgot – PIT ZIPS for venting, zip-t necks for venting (frowny-face upon turtlenecks), side zips on goretex pants for venting. Sopping wet long underwear = poor form lol

Last edited:
Something that others forgot to mention, as it gets colder add a beanie and scarf. The back of the neck and head are great for loosing heat especially as you start balding. I prefer the multiple pieces so a can add and remove as necessary.

I’m kinda funny/screwed in that I’ve had BOTH heatstroke (mild thankfully) and hypothermia. This will REALLY fuck with your body regulating temperatures. Layers are your friend and don’t work up a sweat. Calories are also your friend.

Something that others forgot to mention, as it gets colder add a beanie and scarf. The back of the neck and head are great for loosing heat especially as you start balding. I prefer the multiple pieces so a can add and remove as necessary.

I’m kinda funny/screwed in that I’ve had BOTH heatstroke (mild thankfully) and hypothermia. This will REALLY fuck with your body regulating temperatures. Layers are your friend and don’t work up a sweat. Calories are also your friend.

Same here. Once you have hypothermia especially, your body is never the same.

Reactions: 16VGTIDave
30-50 and wet? Pants, t shirt and a hoodie/sweater mid layer and then a durable goretex shell. The Arcteryx alpha and beta stuff holds up to hard use. REI house brand stuff is great for a budget option, you can get their goretex pants and jacket for about $250 total. They hold up very well just not like the Arcteryx, but cost a fraction of the price.

Before someone says it, yes I know REI is left but it’s a cool ass store and company otherwise so suck it.
I love REI and will continue buying from them for their return policy and great CS.

How do hunting clothing needs compare to backpacking?

Remember that a rain jacket is usable ISO a hardshell if you're not expecting to move through heavy brush.

I love REI and will continue buying from them for their return policy and great CS.

How do hunting clothing needs compare to backpacking?

Remember that a rain jacket is usable ISO a hardshell if you're not expecting to move through heavy brush.

“Hunting” means different things to different people.

It could be sitting in a box blind, hanging from a tree in a climber stand, or standing next to a tree, motionless, for hours on end, in temps that could be 90+ (South Texas) to well below freezing.

It could be guiding a pack laden horse up mountain switch backs in that fickle fall mountain weather that could be raining/sleeting/snowing/blazing sun all in the same hour.

It could also be facing that same weather and mountain trail without the aid of horses.

It could be crawling through brambles and “wait a minute” vines after bear, or sliding across scree covered mountain slopes after mountain sheep.

Hiking, on the other hand is almost always on a marked trail. And, it is always an active activity. With hiking, the walk IS the activity. With hunting, the walk is what must be endured before, during, and after the activity.

Hiking clothing favors light weight and breathability, while hunting clothing ‘typically’ favors increased durability (those brambles, thorn vines, and scree) and warmth (long stands of inactivity in cold weather).

I have a bunch of outdoor clothing from REI, (and some of it gets used while hunting) but some of it is too lightly constructed for the sorts of activities that hunters engage in. For example, a puffy down jacket might be just the ticket for warmth and light weight, but get it snagged on a thorn vine and it will look like you gutted a feather pillow.

Hunting” means different things to different people.

It could be sitting in a box blind, hanging from a tree in a climber stand, or standing next to a tree, motionless, for hours on end, in temps that could be 90+ (South Texas) to well below freezing.
Seems like you missed
Pickup truck
House
Helicoptor

Seems like you missed
Pickup truck
House
Helicoptor
All variations of the "box blind..."
109678568_3337892189589770_868734933146698899_n.jpg

• Haha
Check out Forloh gear. Made in MT. Excellent customer service. I wore the AllClima rain jacket / hard shell through much of what hlee described this past fall. It held up well, was quiet and light.

“Hunting” means different things to different people.

It could be guiding a pack laden horse up mountain switch backs in that fickle fall mountain weather that could be raining/sleeting/snowing/blazing sun all in the same hour.

It could also be facing that same weather and mountain trail without the aid of horses.

It could be crawling through brambles and “wait a minute” vines after bear, or sliding across scree covered mountain slopes after mountain sheep.

Hiking, on the other hand is almost always on a marked trail. And, it is always an active activity. With hiking, the walk IS the activity. With hunting, the walk is what must be endured before, during, and after the activity.

Hiking clothing favors light weight and breathability, while hunting clothing ‘typically’ favors increased durability (those brambles, thorn vines, and scree) and warmth (long stands of inactivity in cold weather).

I have a bunch of outdoor clothing from REI, (and some of it gets used while hunting) but some of it is too lightly constructed for the sorts of activities that hunters engage in. For example, a puffy down jacket might be just the ticket for warmth and light weight, but get it snagged on a thorn vine and it will look like you gutted a feather pillow.
not to mention hunting gear is typically made to be quieter when moving in it.

You might want to consider having gear like bibs and a chore coat to put on while you wait inbetween shooting stages if you are worried about being cold. I run extremely cold and have found this best for me. My go to for the longest time was , and kind still is, Berne bibs and chore coat. I've sat hunting in corn fields for a few hours down to -33° with that set up, plus a few other things. In the ten years I've owned that coat, wearing it daily from October to April, I've never had an issue with it getting soaked from rain or snow. And you can apply treatment to it as well

My current active set up for wet snow/freezing rain is mountain hardware goretex pants, Carhartt rain defender, sitka rain shell, and gators (plus a few other things for layer depending on weather.) I also only wear the rain shell and pants if it's going to be snowing/raining. If I used this to go to shooting events, I'd definitely think about elbow and knee pads to help not tear up expensive goretex.

Also, darn tough socks.

Another vote for REI, check their sales for off season discounts even on staple items. For a base layer, synthetic or merino wool should be awesome, cotton is garbage once you're wet. Medium layer whatever you want. The the outer/shell is what's against the elements.

For socks, I like Darn Tough, but any quality merino wool should be good.

For winter gloves I like the SKD PiG gloves. Fingers and palms grippy, nicely warm for the temps you mention, and the finger tips are sewn over the top so the seams don't jam your fingernails.

For outer layers, I like the rain type pants than fully zip up the sides so they can go on and off without taking footwear off. Have a paid of Marmot PreCips.

Without getting too specific on actual pieces of clothing, shooting in cold/wet weather is not so different from ice climbing: Long-periods of inactivity interspersed with periods of intense movement.

Wear whatever will be acceptable for the stage conditions and still allow efficient movement and avoid overheating. While waiting to shoot, I often wear a warm insulated parka and gloves/mitts to keep hands warm.

Warm hands and feet are essential, if they get cold, everything sucks. And +1 for the scarf/neck gaiter suggestion. We lost a ton of heat there.

Without getting too specific on actual pieces of clothing, shooting in cold/wet weather is not so different from ice climbing: Long-periods of inactivity interspersed with periods of intense movement.

Wear whatever will be acceptable for the stage conditions and still allow efficient movement and avoid overheating. While waiting to shoot, I often wear a warm insulated parka and gloves/mitts to keep hands warm.

Warm hands and feet are essential, if they get cold, everything sucks. And +1 for the scarf/neck gaiter suggestion. We lost a ton of heat there.
yup, like a football player getting his cape on the sidelines

you dont need the perfect clothing for everything youll do that day

you just need to be comfortable for the hard stuff and warm / dry for the remaining time