• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winter shooting gloves for short fingers ...

rustyinbend

GySgt USMC 1976-1992
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2018
    Bend, Oregon
    At the expense of becoming the butt of some "small hands" jokes ... I need some advice. I'm looking for some good winter shooting gloves ... comfortable for temps in the 20's and 30's (nothing extreme). I have hands that are best described as "chubby" and "short" ... so every size chart has me at Large for width and Small for length. If I buy gloves that fit over my fat hands, the fingers are way to long. If I get gloves that fit my stubby fingers, they don't fit on my fat hands.

Golf gloves have this thing called a "Cadet" size that is big for width and short for length, and they fit just fine, but I can't find this in any warm shooting gloves.

Does anyone else here have this problem, and if so, have you found a pair of warm gloves that solves it?

Reactions: jonny5isalive
    I've never found a warm pair of gloves that I could shoot in. That said, my cold weather solution is a lightweight glove and a warm mitt. Shoot in the gloves, keep the hands warm in the mitts. Wear the mitts when not shooting. I also like the tube style "muff" like you see football quarterbacks wearing in cold weather. They are unobtrusive, but big enough to stuff a gloved hand into...

If you can make these work, they are TITS! Not cheap but nothing worthwhile ever is.

Couple of folks recommended these to me - I have not bought them, since I have to go be poor else where.

After I posted this ... I had an idea. I wondered if any of the golf companies made golf gloves that were (a) cadet sized for my short fingers, and (b) warm enough to help with winter conditions. I found THESE ... thermal winter golf gloves in "Cadet" size for both hands. Just bought 'em and will report back on how they work.

I also hate shooting in gloves. Best option I have found is Watson non-insulated deerskin gloves. Buy them so they fit tight and they will break in/ stretch.

Reactions: Chadwick122689

If you can make these work, they are TITS! Not cheap but nothing worthwhile ever is.
    Wow ... what a great idea ... let's see how my $30 shooting/golf gloves work before I try that one. It's just a little pricey to be Option #1.

I've never found a warm pair of gloves that I could shoot in. That said, my cold weather solution is a lightweight glove and a warm mitt. Shoot in the gloves, keep the hands warm in the mitts. Wear the mitts when not shooting. I also like the tube style "muff" like you see football quarterbacks wearing in cold weather. They are unobtrusive, but big enough to stuff a gloved hand into...
    I've used a camo muff for my kids to wear during late fall/winter hunts with good success. They are bulky, but they work well. Throw a couple of hot hands inside and it's a toasty warm inferno! A little bulky, but worth it for keeping fingers warm.

Maybe take a look at cycling gloves, they have winter gloves that are wind & water resistant.

A buddy of mine swears by these. IM going to give them a try

Couple of folks recommended these to me - I have not bought them, since I have to go be poor else where.

I have these for hunting.

If you’re not moving your hands much mine have still gotten cold, but if you’re moving around they’re not bad.

Magnet sucks ass on them. Completely worthless.

Arc'teryx used to make some awesome ones in their LEAF line, don't think they produce them anymore.

For winter shooting, I found that I would wear warm gloves and liner gloves under. When shooting, just shoot with the thick liner gloves, and use the warmer gloves/mitts over top in between shooting.

bob allen insulated trapshooting gloves or something similar, or mechanix winter work gloves

These Manzella gloves are a pretty good PowerStretch material with some grippy dots on the palm/fingers. Some Windproof.
    They are not super warm for extended periods under 25 degrees I would say, but they let you keep good dexterity and are warm enough for most shooting.
    I got them for Skeet/Sporting Clays, but I never could get used to any gloves I tried.

A heavier, similar Outdoor Research option

Flight gloves, just cut off the trigger finger on the cold weather gloves i wear over them. Not perfect but so far my best solution.
    1000002957.jpg

Shouldn't have said cut off trigger finger, just a cut out so i can slip my trigger finger out when i want.

Got these winter golf gloves from Calloway ... showed up today. They're snug, and warm, and the "Cadet" version in size M/L fits my fat palms and stubby fingers snugly but comfortably, and with no fabric hanging out over the end of my fingers. Heading to the range in the next day or two for a cold weather session, and see if these solve my problem. I'm hopeful ...

You guys have given me some great suggestions, but none that solve my fundamental problem of "fat hand" and "short fingers" ... the sizing guides for all these suggestions have me sized for an L/XL glove at the palm, and a S/M on the finger length. If these are warm enough, they're going to be "perfect".

Last edited:
    Got these winter golf gloves from Calloway ... showed up today. They're snug, and warm, and the "Cadet" version in size M/L fits my fat palms and stubby fingers snugly but comfortably, and with no fabric hanging out over the end of my fingers. Heading to the range in the next day or two for a cold weather session, and see if these solve my problem. I'm hopeful ...

You guys have given me some great suggestions, but none that solve my fundamental problem of "fat hand" and "short fingers" ... the sizing guides for all these suggestions have me sized for an L/XL glove at the palm, and a S/M on the finger length. If these are warm enough, they're going to be "perfect".

any idea if they’re water proof (or water resistant)? getting caught out in the rain hunting turns your hands a lot colder fast if the gloves soak through.

any idea if they’re water proof (or water resistant)? getting caught out in the rain hunting turns your hands a lot colder fast if the gloves soak through.
    The package list of features describes them as "... water repellant ...". Not as important to me, as I'm definitely a fair-weather shooter.

Can't believe I got through this whole thread with no "Small Hands" jokes ... :ROFLMAO:
    Im in the same boat. Shorter fingers I guess?

Hard to find gloves. Milwaukee work gloves with the leather palm are great for me, but when they get rain on them, it gets so much worse..

Sucks bringing two pairs out.

Im in the same boat. Shorter fingers I guess?

Hard to find gloves. Milwaukee work gloves with the leather palm are great for me, but when they get rain on them, it gets so much worse..

Sucks bringing two pairs out.
    Hoping these "Cadet" size thermal golf gloves work. Been wearing them on my ranch chores this morning (20°-ish this morning, and they seem to be working nicely. I'll know more on my first cold range day, hopefully this week. Wouldn't it be funny if the "Golf" industry solved my "Gun" industry problem. 🤔➕🏌️‍♂️🟰🏆

Could always look into motorcycle gloves. Much more expensive though. I don't have cold weather gloves but my regular motorcycle gloves are Held Sambi ktc. A few of their models are available in a short or k version. These are mine in 9-k. I haven't used them for shooting.
    download (2).jpeg

The flight gloves are great, I was able to type on the laptop in the car, and other task without taking them off. Also great for shooting, not the warmest, but functional. Also, the long length helps retain lost heat at the wrist. In my former job, we had to be out a lot and the winters would chill a freaking polar bear(humidity sucks when it's cold). Over mittens were great when idle and quickly removed. One thing that will help is to use the hot hand body warmers, place them at the wrist over one layer and they would warm the blood flow, more than one realizes. Guys up north know, keep the feet, neck and wrist warm and you may not need as much clothing as one thinks.