• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Winter vehicle gear?

ksokie

Instigator
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 22, 2009
    SW Kansas
    So I’m curious what everyone carries in their vehicle for winter emergency gear?

I live in a very rural area in Southwest Kansas, so not talking about survival gear, such as fire starting and tools for firewood. Trees are few and far in between out in these parts.

I had to take my wife to a doctors appointment about 40 miles away yesterday around noon. On the way home traveling a fairly heavy traveled highway, lots of truck traffic, the weather turned to total shit because of an expected blizzard. Blowing snow with 60mph winds. Visibility was right at the front of my pickup. We made it about 3 miles East of the last town we had to go through that’s about 15 miles from our home. At that point visibility was down to zero and there was a semi parked on the road, so I pulled over to the shoulder. I had a couple friends a mile or 2 east of me coming the other direction and from talking to them found out there was a couple semis that lost control and were blocking the entire highway. After setting there for a couple hours I decided to turn around and go back to the small town behind us. We went to the local filling station and waited there for maybe an hour and finally decided to get a motel room, in the only small motel there, before the sun totally went down. We bought some food and supplies while we were there and took refuge at the motel for the night.
    Once the sun came out this morning the snow had stopped and wind went down. We were able to find a route around the accidents and stranded vehicles by using county gravel roads. We made our way home and assessed our place for any damage from the storm. Besides some metal being blown off one of our outbuildings roofs and a few cattle out everything was good. Thank God for an on demand generator!

One of my friends that I was in contact on the other side of the accident had to spend the night in his pickup. He was in between the accidents. He had a lady behind him that ran out of fuel so he put her in his pickup with him for the night. He was able to get on a county gravel road this morning and make his way around the accidents and made it home too.

So after that long winded rambling, back to the point.

What are the necessities for winter travel and how do you package them to keep everything together and accessible?

Figured this might be a good learning discussion.

In my shit box, I keep warm clothes. I have a pair of bibs and some warm gloves that will stay in the car until spring.
    I wear a jacket and hat all the time anyways so no need to pack extra.

In the truck, it depends on how far I’m going. Normally if I’m driving my truck, I’m going to do something outdoors where warm gear would be needed anyways.

I also have a tow strap. I’ve never needed it to get myself out of a ditch, but I’ve helped plenty of there.

And a phone to call for help if the situation arises.

Reactions: carbonbased
    I keep a pair of insulated overalls in my vehicle, as well as tossing in a sleeping bag in the fall. Takes up minimal space in a SUV.

I used to keep an extra heavy winter coat, hat, gloves, and a blanket. Collapsable shovel and multiple snow brushes/scrapers. And always kept my tank above half full in the winter, and if I see a storm is predicted a few days out I make sure my gas tank is filled. I'm a skier so I have always had snow tires (like the Bridgestone Bliazzaks) on all 4 wheels, even with an AWD or 4WD vehicle. And make sure my cell phone is charged to capacity

All Seasons:
    Stuff to get self or others unstuck (jacks,straps,wood block,shovel) Bed of truck
    Space blankets, rain coat & pants, gloves, hats, wool blanket. Under rear seat
    Water, jetboil & 2x fuel, coffee, tea, Ramon Noodles, Vienna Sausages, Hot coco. Plastic Ammo back floor rear seat
    Medical, liquid soap, paper towels, cloth towel. Under rear seat and console
    Chainsaw, Axe, Tools, Compressor jump start combo, jump cables, tire plugs. Bed of truck on in plastic tote box in bed
    2 g of Gas, 2 q oil, 1 g water for truck. Bed of truck

Add specific stuff if a trip dictates. Chains, sleeping bag, extra water, extra fuel .......

Never start a trip with less than 3/4 of a tank of fuel.

@ksokie

You’re on the opposite corner of the state from us. That front range out around Hays and Dodge is rough country if caught in the open.

Our winter vehicle gear includes: blankets, water bottles (I always have water in a vehicle year round), some snacks for kids (applesauce,
    crackers, cookies, etc), jumper cables, road flares. It’s not a ton of stuff but enough to keep everyone comfortable should be need to stop for some reason like closed roads.

Our kids are younger so I always make them keep hat, gloves, and coat in winter. Since we have kids, vehicle basic issue items alway include gallon zip lock bags for nausea, baby wipes, hand sanitizer and such. Many uses for that stuff.

We also keep a small tarp in the cars. Keeps clothes clean when ya have to change a tire and can use used for shelter.

My work truck has a lot more tools for recovery: shovels, townstraps, winch, etc. Don’t see a need for that stuff in a family vehicle just yet. Maybe someday…

Just think thru the basics: water, shelter, food, fire, security. A 2 way radio is on our list of additions. Probably a CB since more folks have that.

In my truck, I have: blanket, insulated rubber boots, small shovel, tow straps, shackles, flashlight, insulated gloves, beanie, work gloves, and a tarp as my main preparedness stuff. There’s also some rope and a small tool box. I got one of those lithium battery jump pack things a couple weeks ago too. Used it on my wife’s car already. All my vehicles also have small medical kits in them

Well for some reason I can’t get the pic of the view from our windshield to upload. 🤷‍♂️

Just to add some background I farm so I’m naturally a very prepared individual to take care of whatever issues arise. My normal every day vehicle is full of tools, supplies and air compressor, never know what the day’s going to bring. Always have multiple knives, pliers, lighter and a firearm on my person.

Having been born and raised out here we tend to not put a lot of faith in weather forecasts. They seem to cry wolf quite a bit. Even when they hit the nail on the head, us local people can usually still get where we’re going. This storm actually hit early and because of semi trucks blocking the highway and our county roads being neglected for the past year or so and visibility being about zero it made getting home that night out of the question. My family’s safety is more important.

The day of the storm we were in one of my other pickups, not a work truck, so wasn’t loaded with tools and supplies. It’s a crew cab diesel ford, so plenty of room for myself, my wife, our 13 year old son & our Australian Shepard. I had a few snacks in the console, have to with a 13 year old boy, and we had water and I had insulated bibs, stocking cap and gloves. Full tank of fuel before we left the house, an old friend told me years ago if I take care of the top half the bottom half will take care of itself. Always have a decent first aid kit in every vehicle, I’ve been a certified EMT, but didn’t keep my credentials.

I also have my ham radio tech license, gmrs license and my own business band license. I haven’t installed a mobile radio in that pickup yet, higher on the priority list after this ordeal, and the handheld I usually always take with me was laying on my desk because I was reprogramming it. I do have a handheld cb but that was useless. No useful information coming across it, just a couple guys jaw jacking and were hard to understand probably because of the cheap radio and God only knows what some of those truckers have done to their CB’s with big power, echo, talkback, etc.

Fortunately we were able to turn around and make it back into town, but it got me thinking that if that pickup that almost rear ended us or the other pickup that almost ran right into the front of us actually did and incapacitated our vehicle how I would have been able to handle that. Weather conditions the way they were it would have been quite some time before emergency services could have got to us and then actually being able to find us would have been a problem too.

You guys that replied made me realize there are some extra items I need to have in a bag or tote to help be a little more prepared. A cheap tarp would help cover a broken window or windshield or like mentioned help stay dry if having to work outside in inclement weather. Could even tape it on outside of truck to help block the cold wind or use it for a signaling device.

I’m sure like everyone you try to have as much stuff as possible to be prepared for whatever situation arises but do it in a manner that doesn’t require pulling an enclosed trailer full of crap! So the brain racking part of it is figuring out exactly what to have and how to package it all so that it fits in your vehicle without taking up too much space and a bonus would be having it packaged in a way that it’s easily moveable from vehicle to vehicle.

Last edited:
    I don't live in the middle of nowhere so my winter car kit is lighter than what all of you have listed here.

Where I live you're never more than a 200 to 300 yard walk to someone's home even on the most rural areas on my side of the state.

I used to live in KS and visited the SW part of the state more than once. Where I live now is very, very different and what might be essential in the least populated parts of the prairies is usually dead weight here.

I drive a normal car, not some mad max 4wd contraption. All the roads here are paved, and I mean ALL of them. You're never more than a couple of miles to several gas stations in suburban areas and ten or less miles in rural areas. There is mobile phone coverage EVERYWHERE, and a tow truck is never more than a 15 - 20 minute wait.

Come winter i toss a duffle bag in the trunk thar has a wool blanket, collapsible shovel, a few water bottles, high energy snacks like cliff bars and jerky, extra gloves, jumper cables, a watch cap, headlamp, and a few other minor items.

Come spring I take the bag out of the trunk and put it back in the basement. The rest of the year there's nothing in the trunk. All of the crazy shit that some of you carry year round is completely unnecessary and irrelevant where I live. Depending on how far I'm going I may leave with 20 to 30% fuel in the tank! Some of you sound like you're stopping to fill up the truck every damn day LOLOL.

Last edited:
    Year round...tire chains, tow strap, 50' 3/8" poly rope, duct tape, shovel, axe, collapsible bucket, fire extinguisher, basic tool kit, a safety razor knife with a couple spare blades in the handle, jumper cables, jumper box, fixaflat, tire plugs, air compressor, HEET, 5x7 tarp, full change of (old) clothes, extra socks, cheap rain gear, cheap waterproof flashlight/strobe, cyalume sticks, road reflectors, flares. 2 small Isobutane cans and backpack stove, kettle, metal bowl/cup, lifestraw, several BICS, small thermos with water in it, instant coffee, cocoa, ramen, 4 MRE's, several candles, hard candies, gum. Ruger Mark 22LR pistol, spare mag, 50 round box. Much of that in an old canvas duffel in case I gotta leave the vehicle behind. Some in a Pelican type case. Others stashed/crammed in the vehicle storage areas or bolted in place. Both pickups and the Jeep, they all have winches.
    Winter...add a surplus sleeping bag set.
    I also almost always have one of the 12 or 18 packs of bottled water and almost always have an insulated ARTIC tumbler that I am using with either something cold to drink or something hot to drink. Usually have a small cooler with food and drink and often have a Gott water can.

Realize that until just a couple of months ago that I would regularly commute 1000 to 1500 miles traveling and working in some real remote country. I'm adjusting but change comes slow to this old man.

In ND and MN, around town, I carry a huge extra parka and bibs and the warmest Baffin model (Impact or Apex) pak boots. Extra gloves and hats, and warm fleece sweaters. Some blankets for others in the car. A tow strap and various clevis attachments for the hitch to facilitate pulling someone out (or being pulled out).

Used to keep a small avalanche shovel in there, even in town, but never needed it once past my crazy off-roading youngster days.

Toilet paper is always in the back, somewhere, along with jumper cables and a headlamp. Trying one of those tiny new lithium-ion portable jump batteries too.

And of course scrapers lol. My word, up here you’d be helpless sometimes without a good scraper & snow brush (or waiting forever in -20°F or worse for the engine to warm up so the defroster works). Got a ~6’ extendable one with a snow brush and scraper.

And this.
    1705101036474.png

This wonderful light-saber-esque ice scraper is for those rare-ish times when the plastic ones just bounce off. It’s a small thing, and the blade is made of slightly dulled soft brass, I think. Doesn’t screw up your windshield if you’re not a coked-up gorilla. Never ruined car window in 40 yrs.

Use it like a normal scraper and you’ll be fine. Use it like you’re frantically killing Jason/Friday 13th with a knife and, yeah, busted side windows and ruined windshields aren’t fun in the winter.

Helps especially when you get an ice storm and don’t want to wait forever for the defroster. Although even this wand of magic has been defeated by ND/MN ice storms. Had them literally bounce off 1/8”+ ice. Can’t win ‘em all.

Be warned, those Baffins are clown-car huge. MASSIVE. You’re not walking around the mall or going out to eat with those puppies. I have to move my seat back a notch or two just to safely operate the gas/brake with them on.

BTW unless they have very recently changed, Sorel’s have been shit for years, and long outsourced from Canada to Asian. They literally crack in the cold! At least that’s what many, many reviews say.

A pity. My original Sorel’s lasted, oh, 35 years or so. Literally wore the tread off of them, finally.

Anyway, if going on a longer trip like 1hr+ in Dec/Jan/Feb, then I pack sleeping bags and extra warm blankets for those who refuse to wear serious winter gear. I’ll throw in that shovel and bring a ton of snacks and drinks.

Pro-tip: in the middle of nowhere and in a serious total whiteout ND killer blizzard and it’s -40°F? DONT FUGGING GET OUT OF THE CAR TO “WALK TO SAFETY” even if it’s stuck. People die out there in that white wasteland, most every year. In the past, some die getting lost going just from their house to an outbuilding.

And if stuck or idling out a crash site, make sure that tailpipe is kept open and clear.

Do yourself a favor and buy a rig with an electronically-lockable rear differential. Otherwise your fancy 4x4 is really just a 2x2. With the rear diff locked at least it’s a 3x3. (Btw air-lockers can get condensation in their lines and freeze up).

The prime spot where this matters is when in a ditch, like when you slide off the road. Those angles just make the ballsiest super-high 4x4 with 38” Super Swampers turn into a wimpy stuck Honda Civic if they don’t at least have a rear diff locker.

Jeep owners and some others(?) can get front-lockable diffs too.

Audis and the like with AWD, don’t think you’re covered. Your wheels might find traction, but you have no real ground clearance to speak of and you’ll get high-sided in a sec if you slide into a ditch.

Last edited:
    Forgot to say I keep a lot of stuff in those plain Rubbermaid Roughneck bins. They’re the only bins I’ve found that remain pliable in the cold and not shatter. They’ve become a little hard to find but they are worth it.

1705104618540.jpeg

If you use those clear plastic things at Target, prepare for pain and suffering at the slightest bump.

Again, this is from a northern perspective. You live in Kansas? Meh. You might get by.

Reactions: Modoc
    I gotta second that stay in the vehicle statement. Unless staying in the vehicle is dangerous, stay there. Even if it's not running, no heat, it's a better shelter than most tents. A single candle burning inside can keep you from freezing to death...not toasty...you can huddle over it and keep your hands warm and inhale warmed air.

I should add, I do always have a knife in the SUV. And this is obvious, but hey, maybe a person just moved to a cold place. I’ve never really given it much thought as I never store food in my car.

If you store water in the car it’s gonna freeze solid. Before it freezes, it’s probably going to semi-explode and get everything wet. And then it’ll freeze…right into that short-haired carpet cars use.

It can be worse with pop. The metal cans can blow more explosively and make more of a mess. It’s not bad, like a bomb or something but heads up.

Stuff like cans of soup or beans…I guess I don’t know their exact freezing point. I’m sure it’s lower than 32°F but I’m pretty sure by 10°F they'll also freeze solid, also probably after splitting open and making a mess.

Stuff like Clif bars or Snickers will become so hard as to be inedible until warmed up.

Interesting to think about that. Like just living in the cold and not really getting to warm up too much. I have some more respect for Eskimos…no wood up there! Now I have to look into that, never thought about how they stayed warm beyond wearing fur.

Even if it's not running, no heat, it's a better shelter than most tents.
    Yeah, it’s that wind in ND that is so deadly. The car is mostly windproof.

Blizzards at night with no light are completely impenetrable. Even with a light source there’s so much reflected light back at you that at one point it does no good.

Worst I ever had it was in the late 1980s and it was -40°F air temp in Fargo. With the ~20mph wind it was around -92°F!

Then they changed the wind chill charts 10-15yrs ago and now it would “only” be -78°F.

I drove around Fargo a little with my warmest hunting gear on, just to experience it. I had to wear ski goggles outside otherwise I almost couldn’t see due to the tears, which would freeze to my eyelashes. The cold would burn what little skin was exposed.

ND sometimes is like the damn surface of the moon lol. But no matter the season, ND is always trying to figure out a way to kill you.

I know the coldest air temp record in MN is -60F in 1996 at Tower, MN, and ND’s record is either -59, -60, possibly -61°F.

Funny old TV broadcast of MN’s cold record:

On that day, there were unofficial -70°F (and colder) readings around Tower as well. Videos of pounding nails in with a banana do exist.

For a few years now it doesn’t get as cold. Sure, there’s the occasional -20°F, but that is ok. I shoot at the range in that but keep the truck running! Nice to have a warm place to go.

I keep chemicals hand warmers in all my winter coats. Usually 4. One for each shoe/boot. And one for each hand. A quality aluminum grain shovel stays in the Bronco along with jumper cables, tow strap, engine oil, multiple gallons of pre-mixed antifreeze, tools, spare tire, a spare coat that's waterproof. Winter outer wear like snow bibs. I think I tossed an old pair of tennis shoes for summer walking also. Ice scrapper is standard issue kit in any vehicle. And a proper 4 way wrench and jack. I'm sure I'm forgetting shit I've tossed in there. Ooo....spare serpentine belt.

When I heard the OP say the wind was 60mph...I kinda thought that the trip shouldn't have even started. After 25mph and heavy snow....it takes little else to make visibility total shit on open prairie.

My father once took me (at age 12) scouting for deer prior to a dinner date with the family. I was dressed in nice clothes. No winter outdoor clothes whatsoever. It was pre cell phone era. We wound up getting stuck on a snow covered minimum maintenance road and I had to walk 3.5 miles in nothing but a shirt and slacks in like -20°F. Took about 40min to make it to a neighbor's house. Ran for a portion of it. I got pneumonia and bronchitis in the left lung from it. Learned a pretty valuable lesson.

I'm getting old and don't fuck around with the cold lightly anymore. And only owning old shitbox vehicles, I always drive prepared for the possibility of having to walk home. And if I won't walk in it....I probably won't leave the house. If the ole Bronco can't handle it....best just to stay home.
    Screenshot_20240112_225948_Facebook.jpg

I keep chemicals hand warmers in all my winter coats. Usually 4. One for each shoe/boot. And one for each hand. A quality aluminum grain shovel stays in the Bronco along with jumper cables, tow strap, engine oil, multiple gallons of pre-mixed antifreeze, tools, spare tire, a spare coat that's waterproof. Winter outer wear like snow bibs. I think I tossed an old pair of tennis shoes for summer walking also. Ice scrapper is standard issue kit in any vehicle. And a proper 4 way wrench and jack. I'm sure I'm forgetting shit I've tossed in there. Ooo....spare serpentine belt.

When I heard the OP say the wind was 60mph...I kinda thought that the trip shouldn't have even started. After 25mph and heavy snow....it takes little else to make visibility total shit on open prairie.

My father once took me (at age 12) scouting for deer prior to a dinner date with the family. I was dressed in nice clothes. No winter outdoor clothes whatsoever. It was pre cell phone era. We wound up getting stuck on a snow covered minimum maintenance road and I had to walk 3.5 miles in nothing but a shirt and slacks in like -20°F. Took about 40min to make it to a neighbor's house. Ran for a portion of it. I got pneumonia and bronchitis in the left lung from it. Learned a pretty valuable lesson.

I'm getting old and don't fuck around with the cold lightly anymore. And only owning old shitbox vehicles, I always drive prepared for the possibility of having to walk home. And if I won't walk in it....I probably won't leave the house. If the ole Bronco can't handle it....best just to stay home.
    View attachment 8321714
    That pic says a thousand words. Brings back memories when I used to live in a less urban area.

I bet your mom was mad at your dad!

That pic says a thousand words. Brings back memories when I used to live in a less urban area.

I bet your mom was mad at your dad!
    My mom left us to live in Nevada in the mid 80's. She moved back here about 6 years ago. If its too hot or cold....she doesn't go outside. So like 6 days a year she goes outside.

Her new thing is sending me pictures of whitetail does in her backyard like their fucking unicorns or something. Or sending pictures of animal shit on her patio deck wanting to know what left it. Have to explain to her that when you don't ever go outside....the animals move in. I killed the biggest skunk the world has ever seen walking next to her house.

She bitches about the winter but hasn't seen anything that approaches the Blizzard of 96'. This winter is mildest winter I've ever seen. Last week we had open water on lakes and couldn't ice fish.

My mom left us to live in Nevada in the mid 80's. She moved back here about 6 years ago. If its too hot or cold....she doesn't go outside. So like 6 days a year she goes outside.

Her new thing is sending me pictures of whitetail does in her backyard like their fucking unicorns or something. Or sending pictures of animal shit on her patio deck wanting to know what left it. Have to explain to her that when you don't ever go outside....the animals move in. I killed the biggest skunk the world has ever seen walking next to her house.

She bitches about the winter but hasn't seen anything that approaches the Blizzard of 96'. This winter is mildest winter I've ever seen. Last week we had open water on lakes and couldn't ice fish.
    So you live in South Dakota? Just guessing from your “SoDak Cat” tagline. That pic sure looked like the Dakotas.

I laughed at your description of people sending deer pics. It’s the weirdest thing. And I agree about the winter being the mildest ever. It seems the seasons start a month later than they used to.

For example today feels like mid-Dec. Forecast for tomorrow is 3° to 17° (low-high), and the next day -5° to 4°.

It’s been in the 20s and 30s all winter leading up to that! Historically, we should be over the coldest part of the year and it’s just getting started. Last year, the cold snap was in Feb, and I think that’s where this year is headed too.

Yeah, it’s that wind in ND that is so deadly. The car is mostly windproof.

Blizzards at night with no light are completely impenetrable. Even with a light source there’s so much reflected light back at you that at one point it does no good.

Worst I ever had it was in the late 1980s and it was -40°F air temp in Fargo. With the ~20mph wind it was around -92°F!

Then they changed the wind chill charts 10-15yrs ago and now it would “only” be -78°F.

I drove around Fargo a little with my warmest hunting gear on, just to experience it. I had to wear ski goggles outside otherwise I almost couldn’t see due to the tears, which would freeze to my eyelashes. The cold would burn what little skin was exposed.

ND sometimes is like the damn surface of the moon lol. But no matter the season, ND is always trying to figure out a way to kill you.

I know the coldest air temp record in MN is -60F in 1996 at Tower, MN, and ND’s record is either -59, -60, possibly -61°F.

Funny old TV broadcast of MN’s cold record:

On that day, there were unofficial -70°F (and colder) readings around Tower as well. Videos of pounding nails in with a banana do exist.

For a few years now it doesn’t get as cold. Sure, there’s the occasional -20°F, but that is ok. I shoot at the range in that but keep the truck running! Nice to have a warm place to go.
    Why the fuck do people live in places like that? LOLOL

To the OP, thanks for sharing. In your case your best survival item was the gray matter between your ears.
    Even the biggest and baddest snow plows get stuck or break down.
    It only takes one idiot to get a bunch of people killed.
    Avoid those situations.

I'll need to get three of those for the occasional once every couple of years ice shitstorm that we get round here.
    Yeah, they are small-ish so you have to stretch for an entire windshield, especially if you have a truck. But sometimes it’s the only thing that works.

At least you can open up a central portion to see out while your plastic POS looks on.

It’s good for side view mirrors too (light touch).

Reactions: 308pirate
    All that, plus sleeping bags, ar with 223 and 22LR uppers, 9mm pistol and 22 upper (Glock 19), three ways to make fire, water and water purification system. Bivy, tarp, sleeping pads and CAT heavy blankets. Those tire tread boards for getting out of snow sand.

Planning a winch and flat roof rack (f250 crew cab) and associated led lights.

My truck has a cap on the back and decked truck drawer system.

All that, plus sleeping bags, ar with 223 and 22LR uppers, 9mm pistol and 22 upper (Glock 19), three ways to make fire, water and water purification system. Bivy, tarp, sleeping pads and CAT heavy blankets. Those tire tread boards for getting out of snow sand.

Planning a winch and flat roof rack (f250 crew cab) and associated led lights.

My truck has a cap on the back and decked truck drawer system.
    How do you like that decked system?

It’s good for what it is. I have a short bed, so when it’s locked and the tailgate is locked (2015, before you could unlock the tailgate from the inside) it’s very secure. The short bed tailgate keeps the drawer from opening even when the drawer is unlocked.

Not tall, but room for a rifle, pistol and bug out supplies on one side, and tools, jumpers, tow straps, etc. On the other.

I’d buy one again.