• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wireless home security system

Mildot

Private
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2003
Central Indiana
Does anyone here have experience with wireless home security systems?

I am wanting to install a system in my home and was looking at the DSC and GE Simon models.

Thanks

Re: Wireless home security system

I'd go with a DIY Simon XT set up and avoid APX and the like.

I have a GE wireless system. So does my mother. Neither of us has had any problems to speak of.

Even though DSC is a tyco product (and comeptitor) we still use it. Very reliable and easy to use.

As with any proper alarm system, recommend it is installed by professional security company. Don't be affraid to ask for client references (there can be different installation standards).

If you have pets, ask for pet sensors.
Consider remotes - these integrate with wireless anyway.

Hard wire the keypad and sirens, and ensure you have battery backup and monitoring too.

good luck

Hi, you all shared really nice information here about the home security, I also refer to the wireless security systems because it's easy to install and other features are also very nice as like Via message services.

Even though DSC is a tyco product (and comeptitor) we still use it. Very reliable and easy to use.

As with any proper alarm system, recommend it is installed by professional security company. Don't be affraid to ask for client references (there can be different installation standards).

If you have pets, ask for pet sensors.
Consider remotes - these integrate with wireless anyway.

Hard wire the keypad and sirens, and ensure you have battery backup and monitoring too.

good luck

What this guy said. I have a Honeywell in my house,all wireless but the keypad and siren are hard wired. A friend of mine works for a security install company and he said it is best to do it this way.

I have been quite pleased with Front Point. Wireless, cellular operated( no cutting land line). I have not only installed safe door sensors, but sensors from the floor to inside the safe( it reads through the safe). So if they open a door or simply move the safe 3" away from the stationary sensor.. it triggers and sends me a notice , video feed, all that right to the iphone. I have tried to trick it. I am sure an expert can disarm it, but it's not usually experts who steal right?

I too use Frontpoint (which is GE Simon XT hardware), and have had the service for a few years. Overall I've been pleased.

I too use Frontpoint (which is GE Simon XT hardware), and have had the service for a few years. Overall I've been pleased.
Indeed... real customer service and they actually dispatch police. I suspected ADT did not dispatch. My LEO chief said " hell, lets run an experiment during the day when nothing is happening". So, I set off the alarm, ADT called, I did not answer, they did not dispatch My tiny little town's LE. Puzzled, we did it again. It was that day that my local LEO chief and I realized how much of a scam ADT was. ADT said they called but could produce no record of it. The other day, I went into the shop and the cops were there. I was like holy crap.... that worked like it was supposed to with FP... So I bought em lunch... Thanks boys. I appreciate you making the trip and FP for actually dispatching. I like how you can just add sensors so easily to FP.