• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wireless portable wind speed/direction sensor?

CCCP2k

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2011
Canada
Is there anything on the market that can get real time wireless feed from portable (aka Kestrel) wind speed/direction sensor?
I'd like to put the sensor at 400-600 meters and be able to grab the feed by a laptop or PDA.

Re: Wireless portable wind speed/direction sensor?

Um. Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't the Kestrels with built in bluetooth do this?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MDStroup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Um. Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't the Kestrels with built in bluetooth do this? </div></div>

Yup. I use it with my phone and shooter. I also went fully geeked out and bought the little weather vane attachment. Works pretty well.

I dont think there is a Blue Tooth that has a range of 400-600 meters. MAX is about 30' or so.. Its just like the ear piece for your cell phone.

If there is a LAN port, you could buy a couple cheap $49 radio's for a back haul / Point to point setup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Indypendent</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've ordered these for work. This is about the only thing that comes to mind but I'd imagine it'd be completely non-cost-efffective for most people unless it's for a range.

http://www.weathershop.com/cellular_weather_station.htm </div></div>

only $3499.00.... ill take 3!

:|

Check out Downrange Systems. They have a setup that is exactly what you are looking for (I think...). Ventus RT

Their hardware system extends the range of a Kestrel up to ~1 mile, and is transparent to the device running the software - Android, Trimble etc. It appears to the app that the Kestrel 1 mile away is a local bluetooth device.

Check out Downrange Systems. They have a setup that is exactly what you are looking for (I think...). Ventus RT

Their hardware system extends the range of a Kestrel up to ~1 mile, and is transparent to the device running the software - Android, Trimble etc. It appears to the app that the Kestrel 1 mile away is a local bluetooth device.

Looks like this is what I had in mind. Costs $$$.
Thank you

By any chance has anybody tried it?