• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wireless Target Observation System

Re: Wireless Target Observation System

@cali_tz, in two words - <span style="font-weight: bold">thank you</span>!

Your info has been a great, I am gathering components to assemble a similar setup, but I have 2 questions.

1. What are you using as the power source for the Camera/router? Are you using a 12 volt with and inverter?

2. Suggestions on the camera. I don't know a damn thing about them. Can someone recommend a camera that will provide the resolution and image quality needed to make this work?

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IP camera (aka network camera, aka web cam) is merely a camera with a built in mini web server. Thus as groper said, you just open any ole browser and type in the IP address of the IP camera. You'll see a web page with eiter the live video stream itself or some menu options to get to the video stream and possibly configure the IP cam video options, like size/quality/fps etc....

.</div></div>

1. For power source, it looks like we're all using a 12V battery.... in my case I just bought one of those car jumper batteries for $50. Has a light and air compressor, but I don't use those of course here. Then any cheap inverter will work. I bought like a $50 modified sine wave, as I wasn't sure that a web cam power supply would work well wtih the cheapest noisy inverter.

2. Any old IP web cam should do the trick, if you are going the IP web cam approach. I bought a $99 Linksys because it had an external antenna that I could disconnect and put on something more efficient and directional. If you can get something that has higher resolution. For this application we don't care if the cam transmits one frame per second, if we can get higher resolution. Reason being we want as much detail as possible because the holes will bunch up as you shoot and it gets hard to see which hole is the latest new hole. Resolution helps to clear that picture up.

Thanks for the comments. I will post info on my system when I have it working next week.
Will be interesting to see what type of distance I get with the "stock" antenna.

How good is the resolution on the Linksys camera? Will it resolve holes if it is placed 10 to 12 feet from the target or does it need to be much closer?

YOU DONT NEED AN INVERTER!

You know the little black transformer that your router comes with? it transforms the AC from mains power down to 12VDC before it goes into the router. Every router i have looked at uses 12V DC, you can check yours by looking on the transformer and reading the output voltage.

So, you simply cut off the transformer, strip back the wires, and wire it directly to the battery. Or you can go buy a plug from radio shack if you do not want to cannibalize your existing powerpack - i have heaps of these old transformers laying around from various bits and peices, ive found heaps of plugs that fit into the router socket.

Also, most of the 1000mW signal amplifiers seem to run off 12v aswell, some do not, but if your looking for more range, than make sure you buy a signal amplifier that runs on 12v aswell and do the same trick, cut off the transformer and wire directly to the battery.

@mtem: I set up the camera like 6 feet away and I could resolve the 308 holes pretty easily. Not sure at all if you still can see the holes clearly at 10-15 ft though. Maybe not.

Regarding gropers comment just make sure you the polarity exactly right, otherwise you'll smoke the router or anything else for that matter.

If you can get away without the inverter, do so, because they are not terribly efficient and will waste battery power in converting up to 120AC.