• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Witch 6MM cartridge?

7mm-08 Freak

Medic
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2010
San Angelo TX
So my 6mm Remington has a shot out barrel as shown in another thread. Im in it cheap, Its a Remington 700 Short action in the old dinosaur 6mm Remington I figure ill re-barrel it. I dont really need a hot rod 6mm. What do you guys recommend for my new cartridge. I mostly head shoot deer under 100 yards and do some Varmint hunting at night under 75Yds most of the time, Some Paper shooting now and then. I do have access to a 500 yard range that I mess around on once a month with some buddies. I shoot suppressed 99% of the time. Already have a few 7mm-08s and 2, 243s, What do I chamber the old 6mm Rem in or do I send it down the road for somebody else to mess with it?

If factory ammo availability is a requirement, what about 6mm Creedmoor? Ammo isn't terribly expensive and its available and you shouldn't have to do much more than change the barrel.

Reactions: spife7980
If factory ammo availability is a requirement, what about 6mm Creedmoor? Ammo isn't terribly expensive and its available and you shouldn't have to do much more than change the barrel.
I don’t by factory ammo I load everything I shoot. I do have a crap ton of 6.5 creed brass. Guess I could use some of that.

Reactions: giumau1
So my 6mm Remington has a shot out barrel as shown in another thread. Im in it cheap, Its a Remington 700 Short action in the old dinosaur 6mm Remington I figure ill re-barrel it. I dont really need a hot rod 6mm. What do you guys recommend for my new cartridge. I mostly head shoot deer under 100 yards and do some Varmint hunting at night under 75Yds most of the time, Some Paper shooting now and then. I do have access to a 500 yard range that I mess around on once a month with some buddies. I shoot suppressed 99% of the time. Already have a few 7mm-08s and 2, 243s, What do I chamber the old 6mm Rem in or do I send it down the road for somebody else to mess with it?
If you got a bolt with a .430" face on it, and used the MDT AICS pattern 6mm ARC mags, and an AICS bottom metal (Christensen Arms sells already cerakoted black AICS R700 style bottom metals for AICS mags, and they're really nice), you would be able to convert it to 6mm ARC pretty cheap. Throw on a 16.5" Proof 1:7 twist 6mm barrel, and you'll be ready to rock. It's a fun little cartridge. No recoil, flat, relatively fast in a bolt gun (handles more pressure than an AR), you can spot your shots, and it's capable for targets out to 1,000+ with the Nosler 115 RDF's.

They even sell R700 6mm ARC barrels ready to go...

Last edited:
Reactions: SuperSneakySniper
6 creed is the easy answer and really comparable to the 6 rem.
Its benefit over the 243s is it’s likely a 7 or 8 twist allowing it to use better heavier match bullets. Make it easier beat up on your buds at 500.

Or go crazy fun and do a 22 creed with some large primer brass. I figure your old rem doesn’t have the firing pin set up to do small rifle primer br cases reliably.

Reactions: jpjulian
For what you’re wanting to do with it and what it is I would say .257 Roberts. You can even use your old brass, just anneal and expand.

Wouldn’t be worth a damn at 500 yards though. It hell on whitetail.

For what you’re wanting to do with it and what it is I would say .257 Roberts. You can even use your old brass, just anneal and expand.

Wouldn’t be worth a damn at 500 yards though. It hell on whitetail.
If I did a 257 bob id go the AI version. Always wanted a 25-08 (25souper) guess I could build it now?

Reactions: XP1K
If six is what you want, just about anything from 6GT up would be good. If memory serves, Remington’s short action is really a medium and can handle any of the 7x57 derivatives. I really like the 6mm Remington, but a 1-7 twist and a long throat would be fun, different and wiht what you have, very doable. Still, with lots of 6.5 CM brass, I understand it is easy to size it down to 6CM and as long as your brass is LRP brass, you would be good to go. Also, a .25 Creedmoor or the 25 GT would also be fun. All are good to 500 and the .25’s have a large selection of hunting bullets including all the new 130’s. Put all the reasonable choices in a hat and pick one. Sounds like fun.

Brenda Lea’s old model 700 in .243 is hardly worn out or I would give it a try as well. But it has less than 500 rounds down the barrel, shoots really good groups and puts down deer.

I’m not sure if push feed will cause an issue, I’ve always run them out or CRF, but the 6 br or one of the variants would be my choice, fun super accurate cartridges with good brass choices

well that turned around quickly
I’ve got 2, 243’s that shoot lights out I don’t need another 6 mm the only reason I bought it was because it was in 6 mm Remington and I already had one of those as well. I probably shouldn’t even have bothered to begin with, but it’s somebody else’s problem now. Made $50 on the deal. 😂🤣😆

Reactions: b6graham
I’m sure you told him what an outstanding rifle it was as well.

I’ve got 2, 243’s that shoot lights out I don’t need another 6 mm the only reason I bought it was because it was in 6 mm Remington and I already had one of those as well. I probably shouldn’t even have bothered to begin with, but it’s somebody else’s problem now. Made $50 on the deal. 😂🤣😆
Don't worry about pissy little bitches complaining because you brought this subject in and decided against changing it.

A) who cares, some people need to GFY
B) hearing something out loud and others expounding upon it help to define what it will take you to do it and is it worth it. Sometimes, not.
C) if you can't ask a question like that here, then where else? Or, what would this place be a resource for? Saltiness?
D) refer to A

Don't worry about pissy little bitches complaining because you brought this subject in and decided against changing it.

A) who cares, some people need to GFY
B) hearing something out loud and others expounding upon it help to define what it will take you to do it and is it worth it. Sometimes, not.
C) if you can't ask a question like that here, then where else? Or, what would this place be a resource for? Saltiness?
D) refer to A
I ain’t worried about sleeping tonight 😂 all good here. My money my gun. Thought about building on the action then remembered I can barely get the safe door closed now. Why do I need another one?

bQei9S4O2rxv.gif