• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Witches Brew Bore Cleaner

mdmp5

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2009
    Hello Everyone,

I was looking for some Holland's Witches Brew bore solvent, but noticed that the only place I can find who carries it is the manufacturer, which is Holland's. The price of a bottle is $30. I ordered one, and they told me to wait for a message to figure the shipping. I got a call back, and they tell me the shipping for an 8 oz bottle is $26.

a) WTF?
    b) Does anyone know another place to get this stuff?
    c) If no to b), can someone recommend a product that effectively scrubs the carbon out of the bore?

I am currently using Boretech Eliminator, but it doesn't get all the carbon out of the throat from what I can see.

Thanks in advance.

-m

Or clr on a stainless?
    Regular CLR you think would work to get the bore shiny? It's really only the freebore and about a couple inches forward that is holding onto the carbon. Rest of the barrel up to the crown is pretty clean, if not spotless.

Is this remaining carbon in the throat causing accuracy issues?

-Stan
    It is hard to say, but I am trying to rule that out. My gun was consistently a reliable almost 1/4 moa gun, and then all of a sudden started throwing some odd flyers. Tried to rework a load, but the results were so equivocal, I was just burning ammo. Shot a .1 with a load, then when tried again, the load was more like 1 MOA. Just not the rifle I remember. I think I have less than 2k rounds through it. Lost count since i barreled it in 2015, but the best estimate is that I shot about 3 boxes of berger 140s through it. Some evidence of firecracking in the throat, but doesn't look all that crazy. Rest of the barrel looks ok with some occasional small squiggly scratches down the middle.

Reactions: stanley_white
    Just curious. How often were you cleaning the barrel, particularly the area of concern? Thanks. LOTS of controversy about how often to clean.

Rarely. Maybe run a couple patches every few hundred rounds

It is hard to say, but I am trying to rule that out. My gun was consistently a reliable almost 1/4 moa gun, and then all of a sudden started throwing some odd flyers. Tried to rework a load, but the results were so equivocal, I was just burning ammo. Shot a .1 with a load, then when tried again, the load was more like 1 MOA. Just not the rifle I remember. I think I have less than 2k rounds through it. Lost count since i barreled it in 2015, but the best estimate is that I shot about 3 boxes of berger 140s through it. Some evidence of firecracking in the throat, but doesn't look all that crazy. Rest of the barrel looks ok with some occasional small squiggly scratches down the middle.
    Thank you!

-Stan

You just need to use a nylon brush and a good bore cleaner. I had a pesky one that I finally broke down and used a nylon brush to clean along with a foaming gel bore cleaner(i think its casey). I did a few strokes, then let it sit for 15 or 20 min, then did 10 more strokes (yes I went forward and backward) I assume you have a free spinning cleaning rod with a bearing and a bore guide? If so, take a good correct size nylon brush and it will get clean and won't mess up your barrel.

Regular CLR you think would work to get the bore shiny? It's really only the freebore and about a couple inches forward that is holding onto the carbon. Rest of the barrel up to the crown is pretty clean, if not spotless.
    Yeah, the sink cleaner stuff.
    Don’t get it in any blued steel, just stainless. I wet a patch, run it through (it’ll come out filthy) and then I’ll wet another and shove it in the throat and let it soak for 10 minutes. Spin it around and then keep going or soaking until they come out clean. Brush in the throat will help lift the carbon up too. But clr works wonders on carbon. Doesn’t do much for copper.

Reactions: max1840
    Yeah, the sink cleaner stuff.
    Don’t get it in any blued steel, just stainless. I wet a patch, run it through (it’ll come out filthy) and then I’ll wet another and shove it in the throat and let it soak for 10 minutes. Spin it around and then keep going or soaking until they come out clean. Brush in the throat will help lift the carbon up too. But clr works wonders on carbon. Doesn’t do much for copper.
    Thanks Spife. I'll give that a try.