• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Withstanding the heat?

timelinex

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2011
    Scottsdale,Az
    Not really sure where to put this thread, but since my bolt actions are my most prized firearms, I figured here is good as any! Plus, my precision bolt rifles are also the firearms where imperfections would end up mattering the most.

Outside of the added theft risk, is there anything to worry about by keeping firearms in a safe in the garage IN ARIZONA. AZ means no humidity most of the year with a few months of like 40% (which is still relatively low). So I dont think humidity or rust is a concern (correct me if I'm wrong!) I don't remember anything metal of mine ever rusting here the entire time I've lived here haha (outside of metal outside that is exposed to things like rain obviously!)

My primary concern is it gets to 120 degrees here, so I imagine it would get very hot in the safe during the summer. I know the heat doesn't damage firearms in the short term since there have been plenty of days where my rifles are sitting out during shoots, right in the blistering sun. But I do get worried about long term effects.

Any comments?

I keep it all inside the house, but only parts I would worry about is the plastic and other stuff getting dry and brittle. A screwdriver handle holds up fine, but we both know how plastics and rubber dry rots.

I wouldn't know how to pick, so it all goes inside... I have barrels and stuff in the garage, and you are right, they never rust.

Metal parts are fine. Composite parts are probably fine. Rubber and plastic most likely fine, but would be what I'd expect to show creep/deterioration if anything. 120 in the shade doesn't seem too stressful, though, for quality parts.

Reactions: hereinaz
    I haven't had a problem all the years I've been here.
    Come to think of it, most my friends have at least one garage safe. (so we're pretty normal,.. according to us;))

Thanks for the advice guys.

I keep it all inside the house, but only parts I would worry about is the plastic and other stuff getting dry and brittle. A screwdriver handle holds up fine, but we both know how plastics and rubber dry rots.

I wouldn't know how to pick, so it all goes inside... I have barrels and stuff in the garage, and you are right, they never rust.

Honestly, I haven't had any plastics or rubber issues in the decade or so that I've lived here. Thats on things out of the sun, obviously anything in the sun becomes TOAST within a few short years ha.

So it sounds like out of those guys that hold rifles/gun in a safe in their garage in Phoenix, no one has had any bad experiences over the years?

I'm guessing the most vulnerable material on a gun in the heat is rubber. The only thing that comes to mind is orings and gaskets in scopes. No one has had issues there right?

I know I'm asking a similar thing but in a different way. I'm just trying to cover all my bases before risking very expensive equipment haha