• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Witnessed a psychotic episode today…

The King

Back to the Range
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Sep 17, 2004
    Florence, CO
    Had an interesting encounter with a psychotic episode today. Was pretty amazing frankly.

The owner of the local gun club lost his mind in a meeting I had with him. I thought initially he was angry about something, but it quickly escalated to him threatening violence and then being barely able to control his urge to draw his pistol and open fire. I spent a fair amount of time watching his hands after it became clear I was witnessing a complete psychiatric breakdown. It was completely fucking nuts.

Attempted to leave and he blocked my way. Then threatened to kill my dog for some reason.

Stay safe out there folks.

1656392505938.gif

Had an interesting encounter with a psychotic episode today. Was pretty amazing frankly.

The owner of the local gun club lost his mind in a meeting I had with him. I thought initially he was angry about something, but it quickly escalated to him threatening violence and then being barely able to control his urge to draw his pistol and open fire. I spent a fair amount of time watching his hands after it became clear I was witnessing a complete psychiatric breakdown. It was completely fucking nuts.

Attempted to leave and he blocked my way. Then threatened to kill my dog for some reason.

So is he dead?

Nobody is dead - no. And I’m glad. When someone you know is having a massive mental health crisis it’s more sad than angering.

I’m not talking about encountering some angry dude - I mean a guy you know and like has literally gone nuts.

I made this post mostly so that people are aware that friends and family can have episodes like this and you should deal with them as calmly as you can but be ready to defend yourself if needed.

Mental illness is real.

How did you resolve the situation? Any idea what the trigger was?

I lost an aunt (in-law) to suicide during a bipolar episode about 10 years ago

So was this a gradual drift during your conversation or just an instantaneous snap?

When I read the thread title I thought you'd looked in a mirror.:ROFLMAO:

So, what lead up to this and how do you know it's a psychological break?

There is a lot of anger out there. It's noticeable and it's everywhere to varying degrees. Definitely wise to pay attention to who's not keeping it together and anything/anyone out of place.

What's the back story was the meeting gonna be adversarial in nature or did it go from a cordial conversation to craziness?

What's the back story was the meeting gonna be adversarial in nature or did it go from a cordial conversation to craziness?
    It was going to be adversarial. But it went on to gibbering incoherence pretty quick.

If I were slightly more religious I might have used to term “possessed by the Devil” towards the end. It felt like you were in the real presence of evil.

What was the context of the meeting and what was something said to cause him to lose his shit, or did he just fall off the rocker?

Regardless, someone who can't control themselves like that probably shouldn't have a firearm, let alone be in a role like that. There's a big difference between getting steamy over something that's been said and done and drawing your firearm to shoot and relieve the pressure (possibly intimidate) and then make threats.

Now that he's had the night to cool off it may not be the worst idea to call him and see if he offers some kind of apology or at least feels bad for what he did and admits he was wrong. Therapy certainly wouldn't be a bad option either.

I have relatives that appear to have psychotic episodes every time I see them.
    Before it was after Trump sent a mean tweet or something.
    Now it's the fact that not enough people took the jab, they quit wearing masks, and SCOTUS rulings are destroying their little world.
    But.....
    Maybe it's me?

Is the dude a long-time abuser of alcohol or drugs? I've seen chronic users do weird shit, even when sober.

Hopefully there's a family member or friend who can get this guy some help before he gets someone.

Reactions: Bender
    We’re you shooting his steel targets wit AP rounds again?
    Lol. No.

The back story is I was helping folks zero their rifles for a long range class and he showed up livid that it was taking more than 10 minutes a student. At that point his unprofessional behavior was too much, especially considering that I was pushing past some serious health issues to help him out with this. And I was concerned it was unsafe to be around him while he was handling a rifle. So I let him finish up without me.

Someone else later reported that after that he kept repeating “not zeroed. they’re not zeroed.” in a way that was freaking everyone out bad. Someone had to gently talk him out of his freak out loop.

Circular speech patterns are a sign someone is having an episode and not something normal.

The classes I had taken on advanced threat identification literally checked every box for “mental health crisis, violent/homicidal”. I still remember each of the slides and realized during the encounter that literally every one of them could have been a picture of this encounter.

Wild panicky gesturing, bizarre posturing,

I once worked with a guy that had dangerously high blood pressure - and he did not care, so no treatment.
    Would go from normal to a ranting loon in .00001 seconds, then back to normal a little while later.

Lol. No.

The back story is I was helping folks zero their rifles for a long range class and he showed up livid that it was taking more than 10 minutes a student. At that point his unprofessional behavior was too much, especially considering that I was pushing past some serious health issues to help him out with this. And I was concerned it was unsafe to be around him while he was handling a rifle. So I let him finish up without me.

Someone else later reported that after that he kept repeating “not zeroed. they’re not zeroed.” in a way that was freaking everyone out bad. Someone had to gently talk him out of his freak out loop.

Circular speech patterns are a sign someone is having an episode and not something normal.

The classes I had taken on advanced threat identification literally checked every box for “mental health crisis, violent/homicidal”. I still remember each of the slides and realized during the encounter that literally every one of them could have been a picture of this encounter.

Is there a way to get him the help he needs?

Friends, family, other club members?

What did you do to piss him off?

Is the dude a long-time abuser of alcohol or drugs? I've seen chronic users do weird shit, even when sober.

Hopefully there's a family member or friend who can get this guy some help before he gets someone.
    It did remind me somewhat of an encounter with someone high on meth, and it’s a good point.

The guy left in the middle of the morning to go “change over his irrigation” at his farm. Literally in the middle of the beginning of the thing…and it was starting to rain. Do you irrigate a farm in the rain?

A bad hit of meth would make some sense, or the taking of some other hard drug.

It sounds like that guy believes you did something really unforgiveable to him, where's he's taken it super personally. I don't know the context, or the specifics of the conversation, so i'm very likely wrong. Either way, the guy should have kept his cool, and never should have lost his shit. Anybody working a gun club, gun store, or anyone holding an FFL in my opinion needs to be cool as a cucumber in any situation. I hold myself to that standard as well. Sure I get angry at people, but I sure as fuck don't lash out at them, refuse to let them leave, and threaten to shoot their dog. I would file a police report, that way it's official record he threatened to shoot your dog, and/or harm you, so if something does happen, the police have a official report to look back at for finding suspects.

I'm sure you've already decided to avoid the guy as much as you can, maybe get the word out to the other club members that the guy is nuts so he can be removed/replaced in the club. I'm sure nobody at the club wants a psycho with a firearm there.

I have a neighbor that i've had years of great conversations, and very calm, productive discussions about our opposing political views, and we've both thought of ways we can meet in the middle on various topics. Never had a problem, always enjoyed hanging out with him on friday or saturday evenings by a fire, watching starlink satellites go over, and just shootin' the shit.....until recently. Something has changed in him, and not for the better. He text me & my wife one evening, told us we were horrible people, and never to talk to him again. He said I was targeting him, and thought I was going to hurt him and steal his money because i'm a Trump supporter. So I screenshot his messages, deleted and blocked his number, and left it at that. We cross paths last september while the wife and I are walking and he acts like it never happened. I talked to another neighbor, and the crazy neighbor went down to his shop behind his house, walked in to the fridge, took a beer out, took a drink, then told him he was going to kill him and turn him into taco meat.....in front of his wife and stepdaughter.

The assessment that there is a lot of anger, fear, frustration, and just pent up mental illness, is real.

OP; be careful man, psycho's are super unpredictable.

Branden

Lol. No.

Regardless of whether it was a bad day, mental health issues or drugs that dude needs to talk to someone whether it’s voluntary or not. He’s a half step away from doing something much dumber than acting a fool.

I know it’s a tough spot to be in and nobody likes a tattle tail but sometimes when someone lacks the ability of personal reflection and responsibility it’s necessary.

I found out after it happened that it wasn’t even close to the first time. I don’t believe he would be responsive to suggestions help.

I for one don’t intend to increase my exposure any.
    Is the guy using pain meds for an injury?

I've witnessed plenty of people appear to simply "snap" for no reason after they develop a bad morphine dependency.... and are between doses.

And? Start from the beginning and tell us WTF happened and how it ended.

Since you won't elaborate on what happened, we can only guess it was something like this.

Last edited:
    633A6563-61CC-4001-BF9C-51936A1F4796.jpeg

So just you and him in a meeting. You claim he gets mad at you and you run to a public forum?

What did you do to set him off, surely you are a perfect angle right?

View attachment 7901059

So just you and him in a meeting. You claim he gets mad at you and you run to a public forum?

What did you do to set him off, surely you are a perfect angle right?
    I’m thinking reading the other posts it’s not that sort of deal probably. I think our boy here may be freaked out a little by the situation not just coming to bitch how new members sign up and do.

I’m thinking reading the other posts it’s not that sort of deal probably. I think our boy here may be freaked out a little by the situation not just coming to bitch how new members sign up and do.
    Heard! I am somewhat aware of the King.

But at the same time, It always takes two to tango

It sounds like that guy believes you did something really unforgiveable to him, where's he's taken it super personally. I don't know the context, or the specifics of the conversation, so i'm very likely wrong. Either way, the guy should have kept his cool, and never should have lost his shit. Anybody working a gun club, gun store, or anyone holding an FFL in my opinion needs to be cool as a cucumber in any situation. I hold myself to that standard as well. Sure I get angry at people, but I sure as fuck don't lash out at them, refuse to let them leave, and threaten to shoot their dog. I would file a police report, that way it's official record he threatened to shoot your dog, and/or harm you, so if something does happen, the police have a official report to look back at for finding suspects.

I'm sure you've already decided to avoid the guy as much as you can, maybe get the word out to the other club members that the guy is nuts so he can be removed/replaced in the club. I'm sure nobody at the club wants a psycho with a firearm there.

I have a neighbor that i've had years of great conversations, and very calm, productive discussions about our opposing political views, and we've both thought of ways we can meet in the middle on various topics. Never had a problem, always enjoyed hanging out with him on friday or saturday evenings by a fire, watching starlink satellites go over, and just shootin' the shit.....until recently. Something has changed in him, and not for the better. He text me & my wife one evening, told us we were horrible people, and never to talk to him again. He said I was targeting him, and thought I was going to hurt him and steal his money because i'm a Trump supporter. So I screenshot his messages, deleted and blocked his number, and left it at that. We cross paths last september while the wife and I are walking and he acts like it never happened. I talked to another neighbor, and the crazy neighbor went down to his shop behind his house, walked in to the fridge, took a beer out, took a drink, then told him he was going to kill him and turn him into taco meat.....in front of his wife and stepdaughter.

The assessment that there is a lot of anger, fear, frustration, and just pent up mental illness, is real.

OP; be careful man, psycho's are super unpredictable.

Branden
    The only trouble with your suggestions is that doing any of those could very easily push him over the edge. Kind of a damned if you do damned if you dont situation...slippery slope.

Reactions: Short-bus
    There are plenty of mentally unstable retards in positions of power in gun clubs, HOA's, school boards and low level management. Call 911 and get the paper trail started instead of arguing with the idiot.

My wife's ex-husband is a mildly autistic sociopath who was a regional manager for a large company. He once fired a store manager for telling him "corporate" was sending him the wrong inventory. "Corporate" was literally sending him the wrong inventory and as the manager fought his termination the sociopath made his life hell. HR from the national level had to threaten to fire the psycho to get him to back off and return the manager to his previous position.

For the next five years, the psycho refused to give the manager an annual raise or approve any bonuses because he "questioned his authority". Every annual review for the last 12 months performance included the incident from years before. The manger finally got tired of having "corporate" reverse this bullshit and took a job for their #1 competitor. This sort of unhinged idiot exists everywhere.

When we met, their kids were adults and they had already parted ways, he has never been my problem.

Last edited:
    On a serious note: the guy needs help before he hits the crest of no longer in control of his emotions and actions. Came home one afternoon and one of the neighbors was on her roof with a gun and the swat team had her surrounded just a normal housewife. She wanted the cops to kill her.
    Thank God she surrendered. Never saw her again. Back story: she lost her husband , heart attack or something, then lost their only child, a sixteen year old son to a car accident. Sitting alone, all life known to her was gone along with the will to live. You never know, but never ignore the signs.

Ive seen this from people who are taken off pain killers or depression meds. On a shallower level i have seen it from people who have their authority questioned, but i am sure its more than that.

Reactions: MadDuner
    Don't mean this in a nosey way it’s not my business, but you wonder what he has going on or has had happen that may be eating at him wouldn’t be an excuse either just a catalyst. Ive hadn’t dementia patients also that would have psychotic breaks and get irrationally angry and violent granted there may have been more going on there also. Just possible options.

Don't mean this in a nosey way it’s not my business, but you wonder what he has going on or has had happen that may be eating at him wouldn’t be an excuse either just a catalyst. Ive hadn’t dementia patients also that would have psychotic breaks and get irrationally angry and violent granted there may have been more going on there also. Just possible options.
    Very good point. I forgot my buddy’s grandfather would get like that.

This has been a large series of good advice and I appreciate it folks.
    Thank you- for making us aware his adult daughter puts out and that his wife doesn't.

On a serious note: the guy needs help before he hits the crest of no longer in control of his emotions and actions. Came home one afternoon and one of the neighbors was on her roof with a gun and the swat team had her surrounded just a normal housewife. She wanted the cops to kill her.
    Thank God she surrendered. Never saw her again. Back story: she lost her husband , heart attack or something, then lost their only child, a sixteen year old son to a car accident. Sitting alone, all life known to her was gone along with the will to live. You never know, but never ignore the signs.
    Was she naked?!

I think we have all dealt with this at some point. The roads are full of them. I always try to stay calm, and keep in mind that somewhere, someone loves this person, and encouranging or triggering their rage will do nothing for anyone.

Having said that, my eyes and ears are always scanning for the nut jobs.

Reactions: Maggot