• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

WOA barrel question

Dildobaggins

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jun 26, 2020
    Little over a year ago I bought a 20 inch varmint barrel from them, and it hammers.

However something about a longer barrel like the 24" is appealing to me. I just want to build a tank of a rifle that has some weight, I'd be taking it out to 400 max. Almost strictly bench and prone, might take it varmint hunting but I'd be walking about 200 yards max with it.
    I'm just looking for an excuse to build a new AR.

My question is this, after searching forums, alot of people are saying longer barrels are not as accurate/Ridgid or harder to load for because the length changes harmonics? Any truth to this? Anyone have a shorter and longer WOA?

I can’t speak to the efficacy of 24” AR barrels but I don’t think 4” additional inches is going to be worth it really. Yeah, you’ll pick up some speed but it’s doubtful you’ll see significant improvements over your 20” upper. Especially if 400 yards is your max distance.

I have both 16” and 18” WOA barrels and they’ve both been hammers out to 600+ yards with 77 gr match. I’ve been kind of struggling to justify building a 20” upper because I know it wouldn’t really bring anything new to the table.

I can’t speak to the efficacy of 24” AR barrels but I don’t think 4” additional inches is going to be worth it really. Yeah, you’ll pick up some speed but it’s doubtful you’ll see significant improvements over your 20” upper. Especially if 400 yards is your max distance.

I have both 16” and 18” WOA barrels and they’ve both been hammers out to 600+ yards with 77 gr match. I’ve been kind of struggling to justify building a 20” upper because I know it wouldn’t really bring anything new to the table.
    Good info. That was my thinking but I'll still try and justify it, haha. I would like the extra weight, but I don't even know how much an extra 4 inches is going to add.

I thought 18 was just as good as 20 and going far over 20 didn’t really net you much returns. Like triggermonkey, I’ve got an 18 inch gas gun that holds its own to 600 with 77g. I’ve got a 22 inch bolt gun that does equally as well with 77s. I’d say your only picking up extra weight and a longer barrel to swing around going past 20 anyway.

Both of the 223s mentioned above are Bartlein barrels, wylde chambered, and done by the same guy.

after searching forums, alot of people are saying longer barrels are not as accurate

A lot of people are ignorant. The 10-shot group pictured below was fired from a semi-automatic AR-15 with a 24" barrel. The group has an extreme spread of 0.467 MOA.

62_hp_10_shot_group_at_100_yards_223_kri-2654401.jpg

I have the WOA 26" Varmint upper. I like the extra weight and accuracy.

Most of my shooting is 300 to 600 yards but have gone out to 1,000 with it. About 6,000 rounds total so far.

I load at Nato levels for the longer distances. Using 62, 69 and 80 grain.

Reactions: Dildobaggins
    A lot of people are ignorant. The 10-shot group pictured below was fired from a semi-automatic AR-15 with a 24" barrel. The group has an extreme spread of 0.467 MOA.

62_hp_10_shot_group_at_100_yards_223_kri-2654401.jpg

Great group molon!

after searching forums, alot of people are saying longer barrels are not as accurate/
    Maybe this is lost in translation for a lot of people. I’d be willing to bet they mean the difference is almost negligible when comparing barrels of like or same quality with the only difference being length?

What’s your opinion on that @Molon?

The only justification you need is:
    1. Do you want it.
    2. Can you afford it
    At the end of the day, you're the only one who needs to be happy. If you know you're not gonna be humpin that thing around everyday, and mainly want a range queen, go for it. I've got short and long barreled weapons. Don't use the short ones to go out to 1000 yds, and don't use the long barreled ones for cqb.

The longer barrel doesn't make it less accurate. But the gas system isn't something that can be ignored. Shoter length gas systems are less then ideal due to longer dwell time. Also you may be surprised how little gain in MV you get between say a 20" and a 24" barrel. It should be way less than the difference between 16" and 20" barrels.

I sold my 24" and really wish i hadnt. I recently bought a 20" national match upper with a carry handle and wow its amazing. Shoots small groups all day.

my 24" Grendel shoots lights out, I love it. It's my favorite gun I own. It has some more velocity compared to my 18" Grendel. I think you need to decide what the intended use is for the AR and go that route, like tools... You can get the job done, but the right tool makes it that much easier.

Overthinking it.

For forever we had to best people over the head that short barrels aren’t automatically in accurate because they were short. Now we have pendulumed into that implying longer barrels would be super hard to tune which is such a massive over generalization that it’s just false.

You’re fine, 24” isn’t long anyway

Overthinking it.

For forever we had to best people over the head that short barrels aren’t automatically in accurate because they were short. Now we have pendulumed into that implying longer barrels would be super hard to tune which is such a massive over generalization that it’s just false.

You’re fine, 24” isn’t long anyway
    Good point. 4 inches probably won't make a difference. Least that's what my wife tells me.

Little over a year ago I bought a 20 inch varmint barrel from them, and it hammers.

However something about a longer barrel like the 24" is appealing to me. I just want to build a tank of a rifle that has some weight, I'd be taking it out to 400 max. Almost strictly bench and prone, might take it varmint hunting but I'd be walking about 200 yards max with it.
    I'm just looking for an excuse to build a new AR.

My question is this, after searching forums, alot of people are saying longer barrels are not as accurate/Ridgid or harder to load for because the length changes harmonics? Any truth to this? Anyone have a shorter and longer WOA?

A longer bull barrel will be plenty accurate.

Varmint hunting and F class are the only places where a longer barrel makes sense in 223.

Of course now that we have the 224 valkyrie which would allow you to get 22-250 type speeds out of it. I think 3500fps with a 55 is now a possibility out of a 20-24".

You aren't getting 22-250 speeds out of a Valk. More like 223AI speeds.

24 should net 100fps or more over 20.

Guys will tell you that speed doesnt matter, then blow primers trying to get there with a short barrel.