• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

WOA gas block placement

Dildobaggins

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jun 26, 2020
    So I'm building my accuracy driven AR. I bought a 20 inch WOA varmint contour barrel. It came with the match rifle Gas block. Gas block is really snug. I put the barrel outside for a few and put the gas block in my old toaster oven. Slips right on. But my question is...does the gas block snug right up to the end of the GB journal or is there some space in between? Tried measuring the gas block but done have a tape measure small enough to fit in it tried going on WOA we sit but they didn't have anything about it that I could see. Thanks

Should be about 30-50 thou between the shoulder and the gas block.
    You really need a good digital micrometer to measure it 11 times first....you know the old saying.
    'I cut it twice and it's still too short'

• Haha
    Reactions: Dildobaggins
    Tried sticking my micrometer on the gas block like an idiot but it obviously went sideways and didn't work. Haha

If it is their clamp on block, the rear bolt has a witness hole that lines up with the gas port on the block. You can measure it from the outside.

If it is their clamp on block, the rear bolt has a witness hole that lines up with the gas port on the block. You can measure it from the outside.
    So just like the witness hole up with the dimple on the barrel, if I'm understanding you correctly?

So just like the witness hole up with the dimple on the barrel, if I'm understanding you correctly?
    If the barrel has a dimple opposite the gas port already then yes.

For a sanity check you can measure from the center of the hole to the edge of the block (on the outside) and from the center of the gas port to the the shoulder on your barrel and have an idea of how it needs to fit.

If the barrel has a dimple opposite the gas port already then yes.

For a sanity check you can measure from the center of the hole to the edge of the block (on the outside) and from the center of the gas port to the the shoulder on your barrel and have an idea of how it needs to fit.
    Awesome! Thanks, appreciate it.

If the dimple and hole line up, great. But a lot of White Oak barrels and their gas blocks are made to fit tight against the shoulder without any gap. Not sure if this barrel and GB combo is the same thing.

If the dimple and hole line up, great. But a lot of White Oak barrels and their gas blocks are made to fit tight against the shoulder without any gap. Not sure if this barrel and GB combo is the same thing.
    Just found a small little tape measure my wife had on her keychain. Gas block center of hole is a hair over 1/4 inch and middle of gas port from shoulder is also a hair over 1/4 inch. Mystery solved. You are correct. Thank you

So I'm building my accuracy driven AR. I bought a 20 inch WOA varmint contour barrel. It came with the match rifle Gas block. Gas block is really snug. I put the barrel outside for a few and put the gas block in my old toaster oven. Slips right on. But my question is...does the gas block snug right up to the end of the GB journal or is there some space in between? Tried measuring the gas block but done have a tape measure small enough to fit in it tried going on WOA we sit but they didn't have anything about it that I could see. Thanks

....you could always improvise and make a tool from a paper clip. Straighten out the clip, make a small 90 degree bend on one end. Hook the bent end in the gas blocks port from the rear and mark where the end of the gas bock body lines up on the paper clip. Take the paper clip and hook it in the barrels gas port and check if the mark lines up with the shoulder of the gas journal...

....you could always improvise and make a tool from a paper clip. Straighten out the clip, make a small 90 degree bend on one end. Hook the bent end in the gas blocks port from the rear and mark where the end of the gas bock body lines up on the paper clip. Take the paper clip and hook it in the barrels gas port and check if the mark lines up with the shoulder of the gas journal...
    Great idea! I'll remember that for the next one. Thanks