• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Woke up in Kona Hawaii....we are back..pics

BgBmBoo

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Well....after a rather enjoyable last min. flight in a packed jet surrounded by screaming babies/toddlers....Amber and I woke up this morning here in Kona.

First time to the big island. Looking for ideas, places, things to do while here. We will be here for a week. Do not have a bunch of money to spend on touresty stuff, so if any of you folks are locals and can point us in the right direction that would be great.

Do folks shoot here? From my limited research, it seems the gun laws here are worse then CA.?
I left my carry gun at home as it seemed a hassle to bring it and none of my permits are honored here so a moot point anyways.

Thanks,Stan

Re: Woke up in Kona Hawaii....now what?

I didn't spend much time there wheni lived on Maui but you need to try and see the lava flows. At the very least.

That is if you make it out of the hotel

Stan and Amber,
Only been to Maui and Oahu personally. That said, its Hawaii, hard to go wrong. The seafood is unreal; anything water related is awesome; the flowing volcanos look unbelievable; lovely weather all the time. Skip the shooting, HI is worse than KA, you can do that when you return. Have a great time you two.

Check out the lava flows, black sand beaches, hit the Mauna Loa outlet store for free samples (if they still do that).

Chill on the beach.

Green sand beach: it is a walk, but worth it.
On same day, go to crater mouth, then to lava flow at dark,
check out the falls. chill on beach.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hankpac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Green sand beach: it is a walk, but worth it.
On same day, go to crater mouth, then to lava flow at dark,
check out the falls. chill on beach. </div></div>

Have some coffee, for sure ...

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4Orh4UGUqhw"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4Orh4UGUqhw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

First go get the book (the big island revealed ) and thenhave breakfast at the Island hopper, Great food and be sure to have a cinnamon roll. (OMG) .. If you have wheels go to snorkel bobs and rent some snorkel gear . Ask them for directions to TWO STEP ( you can thank me later). Be sure to have dinner at Huggo's on the beach around sunset

A 4x4 is best to have because most of the good beaches are harder to get to but well worth it. Be sure to check out akaaka falls ( I am sure i spelled it wrong) great place and another must.. Depending on how on you are going to be there a trip to Helo is a good time.. we took a heli ride over the volcano and had the best time ever...

Thanks folks.

We "discovered" a nice little beach just north of the airport yesterday surrounded by a old lava flow. The road in was a bitch.....rented a Nissan Altama so ground clearence is nil....but was worth the effort. Beautiful sand, sea turtles, even saw a mongoose running around the lava.

This afternoon we are going to checkout the volcano and the gals we are staying with want to zip line this morning but Amber is not really feeling that....she is afraid of heights....so I think we are going to go see a waterfall.

Thanks again for the input.

Take care,Stan

the zip line is a blast, we did just over 2 miles of it. If you do it spend the 40 bucks and get a helmet cam.. I know the beach you are talking about and it is awesome.

How long are you staying? the wife and I go to Kona every year for a week and just love it

Two Words: SAM CHOY.
Find a Sam Choy's restaurant and get a big bowl of saimen...oh man is it ever good! Of course you will want to go back the next day for the best 'plate lunch' ever. Kona Brews. I know somewhere there is a Kona Brewing Co resteraunt...food, usally good, but go for the beers. Your lady will love the lilikoi pale ale or heffewizen whichever is on tap, and I know you'll dig the red ale or stouts or porters.
IF YOU CAN FIND a local shop: GET RED ALEA. It's red Hawaiian Sea Salt. Look for the 1/2# bag with the red and yellow print on the lebel. All ya do is put a few large pinches on a steak, grill over a super hot fire and enjoy. THIS STUFF IS GOLD(Will trade SUPERIOR Top Line cigars for same)
Most of all, enjoy the island. It is a way slower pace than Oahu, or even up country Maui

Hey Stan, did anyone mention the "Hot girlfriend" thread is open again?
smile.gif
Can't tell me there aint' no bikini shots.
wink.gif

Drive up to the top of Mauna Kea and check out the view. Incredible if you want to get up early enough to see the sunrise. I spent some time at the Mauna Loa summit, years ago, which was a bitch of a hike.
Eat a lot of seafood. Go on a whale watching cruise. Learn to scuba dive. Eat a lot of seafood. Hike around to work it all off, there's a lot of trails.
Repeat as needed.

1911fan

Well....one more day then back to reality.

We have been having a good time. Amber is a water baby and REALLY loves to snorkel. We have found some really cool beaches north of Kona. One that we went to twice is Mauumae. In between there and Kona are some very neat beaches that are not easy to access. Requiring hikes through the lava fields. Amber has gone through 4 pairs of flip-flops so far just travel to and from those type of beaches over the lava.
But they are worth the effort. Usually we are the only ones there or at the most maybe four to six other folks.

It is amazing how the "invasion" of lava has isolated little pockets of beach. At some of the places we have found homes or old resorts that have been totally abandoned due to the lava flow cutting them off from any access to the roads,etc.

Thanks again for the input. We are having dinner tonight at Sam Choy.

Take care,Stan

We are back home to the cold and rain
frown.gif

Had a great time of just hanging out and relaxing. Wish we could have stayed longer. Amber did NOT want to come home at all. We both enjoyed the big island much more then we did Maui. We will be returning there again.

The only bummer is we forgot the camera. So I was stuck using my old cell phone that does not take good pics at all. But that is what we had.

Thanks again for the input,etc.

Take care,Stan and Amber