• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wolf Match Extra, Eley-made vs Lapua-made

sparkyv

Private
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2022
Deepinnaheartta, Texas
I've ordered Wolf Match Extra for the first time for my inbound BMR. I've read where now it's made in England by Eley, but used to be manufactured in Germany by Lapua. I'd expect it to shoot differently, but some are saying the England-made Wolf ME shoots poorer than the German-made. What has been your experience? When did this transition occur?

I've ordered Wolf Match Extra for the first time for my inbound BMR. I've read where now it's made in England by Eley, but used to be manufactured in Germany by Lapua. I'd expect it to shoot differently, but some are saying the England-made Wolf ME shoots poorer than the German-made. What has been your experience? When did this transition occur?
Some is better, some worse. You need to shoot it in your own rifle to make the determination.

Eley took it over a few years ago. I have used both. I can't tell any difference, both shoot great in all of my gun. I have one lot of Eley/ Wolf Extra, that shoot better than anything ( including Eley Black box, Tennex, Lapua CX, Midas ) in my Kidd Supergrade . Any lot of Eley / Wolf Target or Extra shoots very good. I think Extra is the same as Eley Club and WT is the same as Eley Target. They shoot the same in my guns.

Mark

Reactions: sparkyv
The 10-12 year ago wolf extra shot better out of my guns than the current.

It still shoots ok, but I’ve got some old pics from lol 09-10 from a case of wolf I bought that I can’t match with anything I’ve got now.

The current SK standard+ is the same as the old Wolf Match Target, and SK Rifle Match is the same as Old Wolf Match Extra. They were made on the same machine by Lapua. But the thing with rimfire each lot of the same ammo, can shoot way different. The only way to know is buy it a try it.
Mark

Thanks for the responses. I'm finding getting into a higher level of 22LR shooting quite an interesting adventure. I'd like to improve my skills so I might be able to shoot siluetas competition one day...

I've run several lots in various guns prior to the ammunition crunch. This was the best lot.

Attachments

• 20190511_152858.jpg
    20190511_152858.jpg
    367.6 KB · Views: 281
My go to round. My Annie loves it. I have been using it for several years and have had consistently great results with VERY few fliers

Reactions: BurtG
Delivery of my BMR has been delayed by USPS🤬 so I shot some of the Wolf ME in my CZ455. It didn't like it much, but then again, it doesn't seem to like any Eley I've shot through it. It does however, seem to favor Norma Tac-22.

Eley took over the contract to manufacture Wolf 22lr in the fall of 2018.
Wolf MT is the equivalent to Eley Club and ME is Eley Target.
Cartridge quality varies greatly from batch to batch.
What shoots well from y'er current purchase may throw strays on Y'er next purchase.

Eley took over the contract to manufacture Wolf 22lr in the fall of 2018.
Wolf MT is the equivalent to Eley Club and ME is Eley Target.
Cartridge quality varies greatly from batch to batch.
What shoots well from y'er current purchase may throw strays on Y'er next purchase.
Other way around
Wolf MT is Eley Target
Wolf ME is Eley Club

Y'er right BG.

Dyslexia can sure keep things interesting. :D

I think that the labeling folks at Eley may be dyslexic too.
I've received Wolf MT that produced better results than Wolf ME.
Such are lot to lot variations....it is rimfire, welcome to the production line lottery. ;)

No make or variety of ammo is uniform in its behavior and performance. There will be variation between lots.

No make or variety of ammo is uniform in its behavior and performance. There will be variation between lots.
Anecdotal but I have two different lots of Center-X that shoot the same out of my RimX out to 200.

Phooey on anecdotal! ;)

I need pictures, of the rifle, the setup and the view downrange.
I need pics of the targets with all the shots shown. No cherry picking.

Rifle pron is important!

Pics or it didn't happen. :D

honestly haven't seen a lot of dif eley vs lapua made in my 457s. got > 1 brick lapua so will just shoot it up and hope for best in future.

Its been hard to get center-x for me out here in California (many online sellers refuse to deal with the crap rules of the People's Republic of California, or they make it very difficult). I literally have not been able to get any center x forever. I finally got a brick of center-x and tried it today. I've been having problems with all brands of ammo (variety of Eley, Wolff, cci SV, SK) extracting from my CZ 457 recently. I believe its an extractor issue. I even bought a teslong borescope off amazon to look at the chamber...looks clean after deep cleaning...still problematic. Anyhow, these pics are from TODAY, unaltered. Unexplained flyers included.

51908558741_64b586c295_b.jpg

Wolf Match Extra and Lapua Center X at 100 yards. 5 shot groups.

Ignore top left group, that was fine tune sighting in. Some wind, that got worse by the minute and I bailed at 90 minutes after it got really swirly and brisk. Wolf groups labeled "W" and Lapua groups "L"...my idiot proof labeling (didn't expect to be posting online). I progressed left to right, top to bottom and switched to Center X midway with no fouling rounds. Again, not expecting to post..and not conducting anything scientific, just casual shooting to examine the groups. Also interesting finding, all of the center x brass ejected; unscientifically, I attribute that to the rounds being really oily, more oily than any Eley or SK ammo I have shot.

On my best groups, there is always 1 flyer...hell on most of the groups. I attribute this to pilot error, and psyching myself out after seeing the first 4 go in lol. I was shooting at max magnification....I really should back off.

51908656683_a7b35bb0ce_b.jpg

CZ 457 on MDT chassis, XTRIII 5.5-30x56. Lothar Walter barrel

Last edited:
Reactions: 021411
looks like you have my problems. have 2 457s lilja and walther barreled. i shoot in an area that is surrounded by 10' high berms 200m long about 40-50 wide. winter wind in fl is pretty bad and it swirls at my range but preodminatly 5-6 oclock or 11-12. speeds are 4-10,never calm. shoot off rest and bag like you,not bipod. get about 1 FTF and 1 failure to extract about 1x ea in 100r. ammo doesen't matter. so i clean more often than most,esp chamber and feed ways. i also do 4 in .9 @ 100 then look and throw the last one. i can't explain my problems except that from what i hear they do occur with 457s at times. my 2 each have their likes and dislikes. got no clue on how to fix except raise my skill level thru concentration and practice.

looks like you have my problems. have 2 457s lilja and walther barreled. i shoot in an area that is surrounded by 10' high berms 200m long about 40-50 wide. winter wind in fl is pretty bad and it swirls at my range but preodminatly 5-6 oclock or 11-12. speeds are 4-10,never calm. shoot off rest and bag like you,not bipod. get about 1 FTF and 1 failure to extract about 1x ea in 100r. ammo doesen't matter. so i clean more often than most,esp chamber and feed ways. i also do 4 in .9 @ 100 then look and throw the last one. i can't explain my problems except that from what i hear they do occur with 457s at times. my 2 each have their likes and dislikes. got no clue on how to fix except raise my skill level thru concentration and practice.
In conditions described, wind flags would be essential to sort this out. If always the fifth shot flier it’s likely on you, either the delivery or trying to get the last shot off in a changing condition. Might play with a tuner.