• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wolf ME sucks past 300 yards

Hellbender

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2008
Lebanon, Missouri
Got the Wolf ME (1048 fps) out today, (perfect conditions, dead calm 75 degrees).

My groups at 400 yards were about 30-36 inches vertical by about 10 inches wide, not enough to reliably hit my 16" X 20" steel at 400 yards. Hit the steel about 60%.

The High Velocity Federal AE (1248 fps) was grouping approx 12" vertical x 4 inches wide, much, much better. I could hit the steel 100%.

So a summary of my findings......

Wolf ME has the edge 100 yards and under (big edge at 50 yards, ie. high .1's, low .2's compared to high .3's to low .5's.

Pretty much a dead tie from 100 to 250 yards.

250 yards and over the High Velocity blows it away.

The HV Federal also shows a very odd trait. The first shot from a cold bore (gun sits overnight) hits about 3-4 INCHES high @ 50 yards, then takes 2-3 shots to settle the group.

I surmise the lube is very thick and hard on these rounds and takes a few shots to soften up the old seasoning in the barrel.

I run a bore snake through the tube between brands and shoot about 5 rounds before it settles down to grouping.

Fun stuff!

HB

Last edited:
Re: Wolf ME sucks past 300 yards

Good post, I've seen this as well under 100 yards and esp. at 50 the wolf is amazing, at 100 yards it's okay but not really any better than other quality ammo, past 100 it's pretty scary.

Seems a lot of guys at 100+ are getting really good results with the american eagle stuff, have to try a brick or two of that.

Brad,

I find the same thing with my MPR. Wolf is stupid accurate at 50 yards, but the vertical spread past 100 and including 100 is pretty bad. I can't believe I'm complaining about ammo that was never meant to shoot past 75 yards, and shoots in the .2's @ 50.

jeff

For 250 yard and under MATCH ammo, the AE's problem of taking 3-5 rounds to settle in is unacceptable. So I'll stick with the Wolf, for now.

But the AE is great for practice.

I need to try some other brands at distance.

HB

For your info the Wolf ME and MT are both target ammos thus they are under 1085fps or what ever the speed of sound thus subsonic. Generally they don't do well past 50yds and the further you go the worse it is going to get.
larryj

I shot a number of 22cal brands through my Savage Mark II. Lapua Super Club, Wolf ME, and SK Jagd, and Eley Club grouped extreamly well at 50 and 100 yrds, but not nearly as well as other brands did at longer ranges. CCI MiniMag HP HV did fairly well at close range but was outstanding past 100 yrds and out to 200 yrds.

I have not shot any 22cal ammo past 200 yrds, but I would guess the CCI would perfom fairly well at 1260fps. However, it is a 36gr bullet so if it may be a victim of the wind. Fiocchi 22CRN (1250fps) also did quite well at 200yrds. It's a 40gr bullet so it might do the trick for you at 200 plus yards. I also had good groups with Fiocchi SM340 at longer ranges (1140 fps, 40gr).

I'm looking forward to a day when I can get out and see how some of this ammo shoots past 200 yrds.