• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wolf Pen Gap Arkansas

madppcs

Private
Minuteman
  • Oct 23, 2011
    Forest hill, Louisiana
    Anyone ever been there? Me and the family will be staying at nearby (Black Bear Cabins) and will be ATV/UTV riding at wolf pen in August.

Anyone ever been there? Me and the family will be staying at nearby (Black Bear Cabins) and will be ATV/UTV riding at wolf pen in August.
    Watch out for the locals and don’t drive like a madman on the road, stay on marked trails and just because it doesn’t have a fence doesn’t mean it’s available to ride on!! Take a ride or trip out to Little Missouri Falls while your in the areas. Very nice place to hang out. If your in the cabins, your about 1/4 mile from my sisters house.
    D4482A28-9596-43B5-BBC9-0CAF291BA70F.jpeg

Reactions: Iron Worker1177
    Ok, thx. This will be my first ride in a place this big. I dont plan on leaving main trails cause its going to be us in a Can-Am Defender. I surely dont want to get lost.

Guess I should caveat by saying Mena doesn’t have SHIT anymore. If you get the desire for a good meal, you are better off going to Hot Springs. And it is in a dry county so if you drink, get all your wares before getting there.

Arkansas in August?! A coworker has been there numerous times, grew up there, and he said the Temps will be around 100°F and 90% humidity.

Guess I should caveat by saying Mena doesn’t have SHIT anymore. If you get the desire for a good meal, you are better off going to Hot Springs. And it is in a dry county so if you drink, get all your wares before getting there.

Hot Springs is not dry. There are several decent liquor shops there. Not sure about the rest of the county.

Watch out for the locals and don’t drive like a madman on the road, stay on marked trails and just because it doesn’t have a fence doesn’t mean it’s available to ride on!! Take a ride or trip out to Little Missouri Falls while your in the areas. Very nice place to hang out. If your in the cabins, your about 1/4 mile from my sisters house.View attachment 7376789
    Exactly what roostercogburn98 said. Been there many times. Fun place to ride. It can be very dusty if there has not been any rain. If riding in packs you'll want to space out a good bit and bring goggles. Also Mena is dry if you drink.

I live S of there. Polk is dry, and its a pretty good road trip to Hot Springs. I’d pack food and drinks and just stay there.

Was able to get away for a couple days earlier this week and went to Mt. Home area, Bull Shoals, etc. primarily to look at property. Got covered in ticks within a minute after getting out of truck at the first property. And after picking off face, feet, body, etc. found some on the bottoms of my feet after getting home. Oh yeah and chiggers!

Some pretty property with views but expensive compared to our S. Georgia swamps.

I definitely liked the area though. It seemed like it was pleasant up till about 2pm, then it got hot- Africa Hot for the next 2-4 hours.

All you have to say is Arkansas and I'll pass. Had all that place I ever need and some.

Was able to get away for a couple days earlier this week and went to Mt. Home area, Bull Shoals, etc. primarily to look at property. Got covered in ticks within a minute after getting out of truck at the first property. And after picking off face, feet, body, etc. found some on the bottoms of my feet after getting home. Oh yeah and chiggers!

Some pretty property with views but expensive compared to our S. Georgia swamps.

I definitely liked the area though. It seemed like it was pleasant up till about 2pm, then it got hot- Africa Hot for the next 2-4 hours.

That's the best part of shoveling snow for 5 months. Rarely do I see a tick, and we don't have chiggers.

Single axle with that weight in august has blown tire wrote all over it. JMHO

The trailer pic is older, and of my spare trailer. My main trailer needed new tires very bad, so I took the backup lol. This isnt the trailer Ill be pulling.

So Ive been keeping up with the weather over there and you guys are right. Its gonna be very hot. But its the same hot as down here in Louisiana.

that the first thing I thought of haha

What Rooster said 👍
    Arkansas is full of good people that treat folks as they want to be treated , for the most part.

10-4 on the heat and humidity being pretty brutal. Dry counties SUCK , so if you like to have a coolie , better bring plenty! I live in a dry county , driving 34 miles round trip for Beer makes O sense and lots of gas.

Arkansas has almost EVERY variety of bugs that bite , from ticks and chiggers, skeeters ,to wasps...yellow jackets , PLUS effing horse flys 😡 AND badass fire ants everywhere.
    Then we have a plethora of snakes....LOTS of copperheads , cotton mouths , rattle snakes , even a few corals. A shotgun with at
    least bird shot is a camp must.
    Besides “ that” , its a beautiful state !!!

Enjoy your trip.✌

Last edited:
    Reactions: roostercogburn98
    Ticks, ticks, and more ticks. My sister live east of Mena, just north of where you’ll be riding. She lives on a 200 something acre spread that butts up against the national forest off highway 88. I don’t even go visit her in August. It’s too hot and too many chiggers and ticks. Just spray yourself first thing every morning, making sure you get repellant on every seam line of your underwear. Oh, and poison ivy. If you’re off the trail, you are in poison ivy.
    It’s a beautiful area. You’re going to love it. When I was a Scout Leader, we would take the Scouts camping up there at least once a year. We’d camp at Bard Springs for hiking, and Caddo Gap for canoeing. We always had a blast. But we never went in the Summer. It was spring or fall for us.
    Someone else mentioned it, Be sure to swing by Little Missouri Falls. Nice place to stop for lunch.

If you enjoy hiking, I was in college in Kansas decades ago, and two friends and I came to the Caney Creek trail and planned to hike 6 days. It was spring break and the creek and surrounding creeks were at flood stage and it was freezing cold on some of those springtime days in the early days of spring. I am sure my college friends never forgot it. We got really cold and soaked.

Another trail for the hardy goes from LR - Hot Springs - to Oklahoma— the Ouachita Trail. I always thought it a good adventure but never did.

I was hiking near part of it near Little Rock - or maybe near Caney Creek where you are going and heard a rattle, froze and watched the rattlesnake 30 feet in front of me leave the trail. Too close and personal for me.

it’s all beautiful country In Arkansas. It’s hot and humid in August as another wrote.

Say “hi” to Bob Lee Swagger for us!

Sirhr

Haven’t heard if the OP ever made it ? Been a bad year for Snakes especially copperheads, and as tschiemer pointed out more than a few rattlesnakes have been seen. I have
    hiked lots of the Ouachita trail system , but in late Fall or early Winter. Way to many chiggers, ticks, and snakes for me !! 👎

Yep, made it back. Ill post some pics soon when I log in with my phone. Im back at work now. Had an awesome time. The weather was hot, but was tolerable due to the cool streams and creeks. The canopy that the trees made gave us shade most of the time. The views were amazing, and as for snakes, we didnt see a single one. Mosquitos and other bugs werent an issue either.