• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wolf Primers

TBass

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2008
Colorado
Due to the primer shortage, I took advantage of buying the first larger rifle primer that I could get my hands on which was 5000 Wolf Primers. Previously I was shooting the Federal match primers in my 260Rem shooting 43 grains of IMR 4350… at a velocity close to 2800 fps at my elevation.

Should I see or expect anything different using Wolf primers? I will I see slower or faster velocities…. Will I see a larger standard deviation? Or is it something that I am going to have to truly wait and see?

Re: Wolf Primers

I ran into the same problem, the only difference that I found was I got between 20 and 30 FPS velocity gain with the same powder charge. To be honest I have had no problems with wolf primers.

You stated that you got a 20-30FPS gain, What kind of primers were you previously using.

Buy them and don't look back I can get them under $100 when they are in stock for 5K, how could you go wrong with a match primer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinarms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy them and don't look back I can get them under $100 when they are in stock for 5K, how could you go wrong with a match primer. </div></div>

Ahh yes the good ol' days before CHANGE.
I have an order comming from Powder Valley
but unfortunately there has been a price increase
even for my backlogged Wolf primers.

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/index.html

I bought 5k recently as well. All my reading led me to believe that they are quality primers. Haven't loaded any yet, but I'll find out soon enough.

Haven't used the LR, but their SR gives me better numbers than BRs or GMMs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Haven't used the LR, but their SR gives me better numbers than BRs or GMMs. </div></div>

The LR gives better numbers as well. I've had several loads in the upper 3.xx to upper 4 SD's for 20 round strings. I'm sure getting into larger string numbers the SD statistical spread will climb , but it's a good start.

David Tubb Seems to like the Wolf primers and if they are good enough for him they ought to make my rifles go bang fairly regularly .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rundm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">25% increase is crazy. </div></div>

One might argue that most current events today are. Items that are firearms related are no different.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rundm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">25% increase is crazy. </div></div>

Don't buy them . Buy all the primers you can get your hands on that are priced the same as they were last year .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael N</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rundm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">25% increase is crazy. </div></div>

Don't buy them . Buy all the primers you can get your hands on that are priced the same as they were last year . </div></div>

You forgot the sarcasm disclaimer.

No sarcasm intended . If you feel the price is to high then don't buy them , wait until the prices go back down to pre-election prices and then buy them . Heck with the resurgence of components I would reccomend that you only buy 100 primers and a pound of powder at any given time . The world is <span style="font-weight: bold">changing</span> for the better minute by minute , day by day and soon all our worries will be over .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The world is changing for the better minute by minute , day by day and soon all our worries will be over .</div></div>

Hope you're right; doubt you are.

Last year I used up the last of my Federal primers. These were shooting very well in my 6XC with H-4350. At that time I started to use CCI primers and my rifle suddenly would barely hold even 1 MOA - regardless of powder charge. Recently I switched to Wolf primers. Bingo. Instant sub 1/2 MOA rifle.

Does this mean that CCI makes a poor primer? No. It just means that in my rifle with H-4350 CCI doesn't work.

Dirk

Stickerballistics.com

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The world is changing for the better minute by minute , day by day and soon all our worries will be over .</div></div>

Hope you're right; doubt you are.
</div></div>

Oh sorry , I meant to ad this sarcasm emoticon on that last post
wink.gif

LOL