• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wolf primers

riley5001

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2008
Ms.
Can anyone tell me if the wolf large mag primers will work just as well in .308. Has anyone on here tried mag primers in .308 loads. The reason I ask is because it's all I can find, and I am currently out of primers

Re: Wolf primers

Yep. They work well, no change between them and CCI BR's for me, in fact they decreased my es. Wolf magnums have the same amount of compound as the standards, just a harder cup.

Not sure about the LRM, but the SRM are not true 'magnum' primers, since they have the same charge as standard SR, but just have a harder cup.

I have used Wolf Magnum primers interchangeably with Remington 9 1/2 and CCI BR2. I didn't notice any marked difference in velocity or additional pressure signs. I had 1 brick of 1000 where two of the boxes were labeled "Large Pistol Magnum Primers" instead of Rifle. Haven't investigated yet to find out what their contents actually are, but I am certainly glad I noticed.

Also, I did have 3-4 out of the 400 or so used that failed to ignite despite an apparent good strike. Managed to find some BR2's right after that so I haven't tried them again since.

I just received a couple of boxes of Wolf SRM and noticed that they're no longer silver in color, but brass color. I sure hope they "act" the same as the silver ones....

Yep, the latest batch of SRM is brass colored. Havent tried them yet but I suspect they are the same. Also noted that the new batch of LRM has purple priming compound rather than salmon colored the previous batch had.

But, the Wolf primers are good to go. I used the LRM in my 308 palma loads while shooting in the Canadian Fullbore National championship in Aug and finished 3rd, 3 points from the win (and those pts dropped were all me). So, I think they are pretty good. :)

John