• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wolf Primers

Pirate-69

Private
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2009
Greenville, NC
I have seen all the press on the backlog of US primer manufacturing and the reason behind the backlog. What I don't understand is the lack of Wolf primers. Why are they not available? You would think that the Russians would be really cracking them out. Anyone have any ideas?

Re: Wolf Primers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pirate-69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have seen all the press on the backlog of US primer manufacturing and the reason behind the backlog. What I don't understand is the lack of Wolf primers. Why are they not available? You would think that the Russians would be really cracking them out. Anyone have any ideas?</div></div>

Wolf is an importer. Their rimfire ammo is all from Lapua (since they bought SK) and some of the brass brass cased ammo comes from Privi I believe.

The other issues is that import licenses are needed to bring this stuff in. What are the chances the current administration is being helpful in that regard? Does anyone have any scuttlebutt on that?

Wolf is expecting a shipment in June.............direct from Wolf.
I called them.

Pirate,
The reason is as soon as they get here, no others are available, so they are SUCKED up.........fast.

I talked to a vendor last week who I have had a backorder for 5,000 Wolf SRM primers for awhile asking if I could buy some needed bullets with the money on the backorder. I paid for it by MO so the better half only sees some of the cost of my addiction. The person on the phone said the Wolf primers were supposed to be in about 2-3 weeks, so I left the order in place. They had the bullets I was looking for so they had a sale either way so they had no reason to tell me a line.

Maybe there is a shipment of Wolf primers inbound. By the way I have shot up about 500 of the Wolf SR and they stack right up with the CCI BR4's that I originally shot with the load.

wade

The companies are sold out before they even get the products. They have enough sold just off the backorders for the year. I think the Primer companies are shipping to the stores but the stores are only filling backorders.

They were available for about an hour a few weeks ago at Wideners. I was able to snag 10K, and they are inbound
smile.gif

Scuttlebutt I heard is that a lot of import stuff is sitting on the docks not being allowed into the coutnry.

I like my Wolf Primers. I only bought 8k 6 months ago, I wish I'd bought more like 30-40k

Someone on here said they spoke with Wolf and they are expecting a large order to arrive from Russia in June. But there are so many back orders out there we may never see them in stock any where.

If I understand everything that I am reading, it appears the US and Russia can't handle the US demand for primers. Not sure if that makes sense. Russia is not currently on a war-footing and consuming a lot of munitions. Surely there has to be a lot of untapped Russian capacity available. I read somewhere that the existing primer backorder was approximately 600 million. If you assume the Wolf could wholesale sell them for $15 per thousand, that would be a $9 million dollar order. That is not exactly chump change, even though it may not be large when compared to their loaded ammo sales.

Pirate, 600 mil is not even close...............
Powder Valley Inc, <span style="font-weight: bold">ALONE</span>, stopped taking orders, as they have <span style="font-weight: bold">50 milion on B/O....................</span>And their <span style="font-weight: bold">ONE</span> Dealer..................

When will this shit end. I going to need componets by th end of the summer and I sure as hell do not want to pay these current prices. Hell even if you can get componets.

Brian

I hate to say "they" won. But, it's looking more and more like the shooting days that we were use to are over. Now it's more like shoot to maintain skill level then stop.

It's just not much fun shooting knowing that your supplies are finite.

One can only hope that the slow down and troop reduction in the Iraq/Afgan arena (barring no other theater) will change the current ammo trend.

That, and the hopes that the current administration doesn't do anything radical for the next two years.

Supplies are not finite. I have had no problem finding what I need and when I find it I buy enough to last more than one day. You dont buy toilet paper one roll at a time, so stop buying componets one box at a time.

Its available, you just have to be on the lookout and jump when you find them.

I've got 9000+ primers. However, I just went through 110 of them this afternoon.

Constantly scrounging the internet looking for the latest shipment to keep my hoarding alive is not the most mind pleasing experience.

The other night I went to Academy for some fishing supplies. I thought for shits and grins I'd check out the ammo situation. All, and I mean all handgun calibers were out. Rifle ammo for the most part was out as well with the exception of a few magnum calibers. Even buckshot was gone.

Yeah, supplies are not finite.

The was a guy at my department who told me he had over 10,000 rnds stockpiled at home. This was back in the y2k frenzy. I thought the guy was crazy. Well, now I'm not so sure.

9000 primers is a good start. Instead of buying guns and the latest and greatest, some of us spent the money on components.

But in all seriousness, primers and powders will come back. Shortages have come and gone before...

Everyone is trying to stock up. When the demand becomes reached and certain people's objectives are shut down regarding gun control, or at least put on hold. Things will be very much in stock again. Maybe a few years, but it will happen as long they are leagal to make and sell.

That makes sense to me. I can't speak for primer production, but, to copy and validate an assembly line for a specific product can be done in 3 months for the products I have worked on. Given the crazy demand, I can't see why they wouldn't be creating more lines unless they thought the demand was going taper off or they were worried about laws changing.

I got 30K Wolf SRM primers from Widener's last week. $20/1000.

Patience pays off (as opposed to buying them off gunbroker for $70-$80/1000)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe-n-TX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The was a guy at my department who told me he had over 10,000 rnds stockpiled at home. This was back in the y2k frenzy. I thought the guy was crazy. Well, now I'm not so sure.

</div></div>

The thing is your only crazy until your right.........I can live with people thinking I'm crazy.