• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wolf SR Primers- Which one??

LARMIKE

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 9, 2009
SE USA
OK I just found some Wolf SR primers. The question is which one for a MATCH Service rifle?? They have avail. the standard and then the ones for loading 5.56. Is their a difference between the two? If so What. Many thanks. Only 15 more days in Iraq !!!

Re: Wolf SR Primers- Which one??

I have been using the Wolf standard small rifle primers for AR loads and they work fine. You might get a few more fps out of the 5.56 or SR Magnum primers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LARMIKE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK I just found some Wolf SR primers. The question is which one for a MATCH Service rifle?? They have avail. the standard and then the ones for loading 5.56. Is their a difference between the two? If so What. Many thanks. Only 15 more days in Iraq !!! </div></div>

I have been using the standards in my AR's with great results!

Getting short! Stay safe!

Terry

The primer compound is the same with both the small rifle and the magnum small rifle primer. The difference is that the magnum uses a thicker cup.

The 556 primer uses a slightly hotter compound in addition to a thicker cup.

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=7283&dir=278|284|737

If youre using them for standard, plinking type loads, the regular SR work just fine. If you are running a big load of ball powder, especially in cold weather, or you are running service rifle competition loads, go with the magnum. Now, with the large primers, there isnt a compound difference, but with the small, there seems to be. And, the regular small primer is made of copper and is just too dang soft for my liking. May not work well with heavy competition loads...sure wouldnt try it with my 80s. :)

Havent messed with the 5.56 version or whatever it is that they market now, so I cant comment on that one.

John

I would opt for the magnum or the 556. The cup is just too soft and in a rifle with a free floating firing pin. I have used the magnums in my ARs without issue.

I've used several thousand of the standard SRs including my 80SMK load. Work well for me.

Theirs have been history that the Wolf Standard primers are not igniting and also the cups are too thin for semi's. I've been using both Mag Lg & SM without any problem. The only thing I must do, is to seat the primers a little hard to lower the SD. Other than that, there very good for all my applications.

I've been using Wolf standard SR primers in my AR. About 2000 rounds fired with them so far and no problems at all. However, I am not running a hot load with them.

Thanks everyone ! Looks like I will order the Mag. or the 5.56 primers. I do not really load them too hot even for the 80's. See you fellas at the matches and Perry this year.