• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wolf SRM primer problems with 6.5x47

Siso

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2002
WI
Yesterday I got two failure to fires using wolf small rifle magnum primers and I’m wondering where do I go from here? But first a little background. I’m trying to develop a load for my new 6.5x47. I started with RE17, 140gr Bergers and wolf SRM primers. I was using 40.4gr at 2780fps. Some days it would shoot other days it wouldn’t. I switched to H4350, everything else being the same. I worked up to 42 grains of H4350 and I got 2839fps with no pressure signs. I loaded up some more rounds at 41.5gr starting .100” off the lands and worked to .020” into the lands. The very first round I think I got a pierced primer (the primer hole was black, but I could not see through the primer.) The next shot is when I got the FTF, I thought that is odd. I continued to shoot the rest with no problems until my last one that was .020” into the lands. This one too was a FTF.

I’m using a Hornady hand primer and when the brass was new it was really hard to seat the primers. As I was seating them I could feel the primer seat as usual. The 2nd feeling I never felt before. (I normally use a Lee hand primer for my LR primers.) If I pressed harder I think that it was the anvil seating further.

I would normally just try again and see what happens but I ran out of the 140gr Bergers. So I’m asking you guys because this is going to eat at me. The load shot great so I would like to use it. For the various seating depths it shot 3 shot groups from .066” - .371”. Velocity was from 2810fps – 2839fps depending on the seating depth. With the 3 shot groups never going over 10 fps (+/- 8fps)

So far this is what I can think of….

1) The load density was too great with 41.5gr of powder and the small rifle primer
2) This was my 4th reloading of the brass and the primer pockets loosened up. I seated the primers too deep because I was used to having to force them in.
3) I don’t think that it’s the rifle, because it’s a GAP built Surgeon action.
4) I just thought of this… but I dropped two primers on the concrete. I picked them up and seated them….It seems odd that I dropped two with two failure to fires?
5) Just bad primers, I’ve heard of others having hang fire issues, but never any FTF’s. (Because of the primer shortage I bought 5000 of the Wolfs so I would like to try and make these work.)
6) The pierced primer broke something in my rifle?

Any ideas what the problem might be? I never had any failure to fires before so I don’t know where I should go from here.

Re: Wolf SRM primer problems with 6.5x47

Have you cleaned the primer pockets between firings? Couldn't hurt, and dirty pockets could be why they felt harder to seat. Check the two cases that didn't go bang; I wonder if the prmers weren't fully seated and just moved forward an RCH. I use CCI 450 primers and they all go bang so far.

1911fan

Is it possible that during seating you crushed those two primers making them not work. Could you pull the bullet and dump the contents out. Maybe the primer internals will come out as well. I've seated a few of those primers that started to crush the primer a touch. It could be seen from the outside that they were sort of pre-flattened. They all fired fine though. I clean my primer pockets well between firings and the wolf do just seat very hard, even after the brass has had 7 firings.

1911 fan,

Yep I clean the primer pockets every time. But good call, I left that one out. The wolf primers are kind of known to be difficult to seat. The primers are very deeply seated now and I don't know what I should do with the cases. I don't think that I should deprime them, and I can't get them to go bang so I guess I'll have to throw them away.

Don't pitch 'em. Pull the bullets, dump the powder, and deprime/resize as usual- but wearing eye & ear protection in case they pop. Go slow and they probably won't. I've done a bunch that way for one reason or another. Then measure primer pocket depth and inspect the primers that didn't work.
Also, if you've been piercing primers disassemble and clean your bolt.

1911fan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> an RCH.

1911fan </div></div>

hahaha, good to know someone else uses that term...

To the OP - I can't add anything that wasn't already said except for 1 thought.

When you were seating the primers did you have oil in the primer pocket or on your fingers and touched the primers? I've had a couple FTF with 8mm mausers because I was careless lubing a batch of cases and got some oil in the primer pockets.

When I knocked open the cases to disassemble the ammo, the primers were gooey.

I thought I had a FTF one time with CCI-BR-2's. After taking the round home with me, and pulling the bullet I found that I failed to charge the case with powder. Might want to give it a check. You could probably just shake the case and listen for a rattle. I hope its is not the primer though, I just ordered 5K for myself. Let me know what you find out.

If you blanked the primer, the little blown out disk might not have let the firing pin go all the way forward.

I have shot quite a few of the Wolf/Russki primers and they seem to be sensitive to seating depth........... I use the Sinclair primer seating tools and you can really "pre-load/sensitize" the primer. With the wolf just touch bottom of the primer pocket and stop.

I pulled the bullets and everything including the primers looked normal. My hands were clean when I was seating the primers so I don't think that was the issue.

criver, how do you like single loading the Sinclair priming tool? Is is a pain?

So it sounds like not seating the primers far enough or seating too deep?

42 grs H4350 140 is hot in my gun in my environment during the Summer season. I run 1.0 grs less with 130's.

Its not bad............ Its a superior "feel". 90% of what I shoot is 1000 yards so I really try to load best quality ammo.

I just wanted to state that I believe I found what the problem may be. As per 1911fan's suggestion I took apart my bolt to clean it. I found a small and very large piece of brass inside my bolt. The small piece was stuck on the shoulder of the firing pin and the large piece was floating around on the inside. The large piece was about the size of an ejector and thick enough to stop the firing pin from it's full range of motion.

When I was breaking in the rifle I shot factory 139gr Lapua and this caused very bad ejector swipes on the brass. I tried twice and stopped using the factory stuff. This is my only guess as to where the brass inside my bolt came from. I just wanted to let everyone know that it probably wasn't the wolf primers.

I also wanted to say thanks to 1911fan! You save me a lot of problems down the road!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it possible that during seating you crushed those two primers making them not work. Could you pull the bullet and dump the contents out. Maybe the primer internals will come out as well. I've seated a few of those primers that started to crush the primer a touch. It could be seen from the outside that they were sort of pre-flattened. They all fired fine though. I clean my primer pockets well between firings and the wolf do just seat very hard, even after the brass has had 7 firings. </div></div>

I did the same thing with some Wolf primers, had FTF in 3 rds. When you're seating these primers if you see a seater impression, deprime and try again with a fresh primer before loading it up.

Sisu the pieces of metal that you found were probably from the primer that you pierced. I know that you said that couldn't see through it but unless you removed the anvil you wouldn't be able to see through it.

dmg264,

That would be my guess too. However the chunk of brass was pretty big and thick. I'm just surprised that much brass could come from the small primer.