• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wolf vs Lapua 22lr ammo test.

Lsmart95

Private
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2019

I tested out wolf match extra,, Lapua center-x, and midas + yesterday. The members here have posted some pretty insightful stuff so I figured I'd contribute some so I feel less like a free-loader.

Top row (right most): wolf match extra 40gr (ignore that flier in the first one, that's user error)
2nd row: Lapua center x 40gr
Bottom row (left most): Lapua Midas + 40gr

All of these are 10 round groups at 50 yds in a climate controlled indoor range. The test was completed in approximately one hour. I shot 50 rounds (not shown) of each ammo before shooting groups to clear out anything from the previous test. All groups were shot from bench using a rear bag and bipod. Barrel is a bull 22” lilja match in a sako quad action. Heat was not an issue. Pulled a couple but that’s life. Still plenty of data. I have my own interpretation of this test but I'll withhold so I don't lead your own conclusions.

Also, it appears I need training. I hope you find this useful. Enjoy.

Looks really good.
I just tried some center x on Saturday.
Was shooting indoors, was getting 1/2 5 shot groups at 100 inside as well
This lot must be really good and consistent, going to see if I can get more before I do a 10x5 or a 5x10 group target
Only a few flyers and they were higher then the groups.
No low ones which was strange, for me usually it’s the other way around
A few guys I know love wolf match and extra match at 50, it was really inconsistent for me at 100
A few on top of each other and then 2-3 off in space.
That Midas will suck you in but it’s as expensive as shooting 308 lol

I am assuming the target is rotated 1/4 turn CW based on your description?? If so you can see the velocity discrepancy in the Wolf (but still very good accuracy!). The Center X and Midas + are both shooting excellent out of your rifle. That is some seriously good shooting for 10 rounds groups at 50 yards, my compliments!

For what it is worth I have never had a rifle that shot Midas + as well as or especially not better than Center X, yours seems to have an edge with the Midas...

I am assuming the target is rotated 1/4 turn CW based on your description?? If so you can see the velocity discrepancy in the Wolf (but still very good accuracy!). The Center X and Midas + are both shooting excellent out of your rifle. That is some seriously good shooting for 10 rounds groups at 50 yards, my compliments!

For what it is worth I have never had a rifle that shot Midas + as well as or especially not better than Center X, yours seems to have an edge with the Midas...

You are correct on the rotation. I posted from my phone and couldn't figure out how to rotate the picture.

Thank you very much for the compliment. I agree that midas does have a slight edge. I'm struggling over whether it's worth the extra cost. Right now I'm leaning toward not.

Reactions: horsekiller
Wow. That's an impressive performance. It's hard to beat Center-X for ROI. Of course, your post is incomplete without a picture and full description of the rifle, scope, bipod, etc.

Wow. That's an impressive performance. It's hard to beat Center-X for ROI. Of course, your post is incomplete without a picture and full description of the rifle, scope, bipod, etc.

The internet is a harsh mistress.

595136F9-741A-4C8A-8761-8DAED8DE8693.jpeg

Sako quad action
Lilja match 22” in bull profile
McMillan a5 stock
Razor 4.5-twenty forever
Vortex precision matched rings
Harris bipod
Triad cheek riser because I have higher cheekbones and more supple skin than Derek Zoolander

Put together by Jered at APA who I couldn’t recommend more.

In my CZ455 with a Lilja, it seems to like Midas+, Center X and SK Standard Plus but Wolf Match Target shoots like I'm using a shotgun.

If I remember right, isn't SK Standard Plus the same as Wolf Match Target? Either I remember that wrong, or the lot is way off, or something.

In my CZ455 with a Lilja, it seems to like Midas+, Center X and SK Standard Plus but Wolf Match Target shoots like I'm using a shotgun.

If I remember right, isn't SK Standard Plus the same as Wolf Match Target? Either I remember that wrong, or the lot is way off, or something.

I think wolf is done by eley now.

Reactions: Kenmc
I’ve tried Wolf Match,Wolf Match Extra,Midas+,Center x and quite a few others but I keep coming back to SK Standard Plus. Several of the ones mentioned have better extreme spreads but overall the SK Standard just plain shoots better out of my gun. I’ll get 2-3 out of 25 that ES is off enough to throw a miss at distance but for now I can live with that at least till I can find one that shoots as good as the SK with lower ES.

95, thanks for the pic and info. There aren't many repeater .22 actions that consistently produce very high performance. Your Sako quad can obviously play in the big boy sandbox. Does it have it's original trigger? What is it adjusted to?

SK Standard just plain shoots better out of my gun.

I'd suggest that you try a couple of different lots of SK Rifle Match. Some people have also had good luck with SK Pistol match, but it didn't compare favorably out of my rifles.

I'd suggest that you try a couple of different lots of SK Rifle Match. Some people have also had good luck with SK Pistol match, but it didn't compare favorably out of my rifles.
I’ve tried several lots of SK Rifle Match and it doesn’t come close to the SK Standard Plus out of my gun.

SK ammo is sold under number of brands and Wolf is same as SK

Wolf Match Extra = SK Rifle Match
Wolf Match Target= SK Standard +

Reactions: Lionsbreath
SK ammo is sold under number of brands and Wolf is same as SK

Wolf Match Extra = SK Rifle Match
Wolf Match Target= SK Standard +

Hmmmm???

When I look at the numbers I have for the Wolf Match Target equaling SK Standard+ . . . that looks right and the punished MV of 1050 is the same for both. But Wolf Match Extra has a published MV of 1085 and Sk Rifle Match is 1073 fps; likewise I've gotten much less velocity out of the SK Rifle Match than the Wolf Match Extra ( 1023 fps vs 1090 fps respectively)

Wolf Match Target & Match Extra used to be made by SK in Germany, but both are now produced by Eley in England. Not the same stuff as the old Wolf at all.

Reactions: Kenmc
Wolf match and extra both have less drop than sk match

Zero wolf at 100 and I’m probably 1” lower POI for the sk

The wolf and sk use different lube as well. One is more wax like and the other is more grease like.

In forget which is which.

Wolf shot better if I cherry picked but I had more flyers, vertical/velocity issues.

Sk match shot more consistent but the groups were larger yet more consistent (more l/r dispersion)

Been shooting center x for a bit.

So far it’s a winner

I’ve tried several lots of SK Rifle Match and it doesn’t come close to the SK Standard Plus out of my gun.

Mind sharing what rifle? I've had excellent results in a custom 10/22, Tikka T1X, and the CZ 457 MTR. Both the 10/22 and CZ were used in a ELR match (200, 250, 300, 365, 500 yards) with the SK Rifle Match with very good results.

Mind sharing what rifle? I've had excellent results in a custom 10/22, Tikka T1X, and the CZ 457 MTR. Both the 10/22 and CZ were used in a ELR match (200, 250, 300, 365, 500 yards) with the SK Rifle Match with very good results.

Cz 457 Varmint
But once I get out to 200yds the SK Standard Plus opens up quite a bit. So I still need to find one that shoots better at longer distances.
838546A9-8746-43B5-8D2C-0E841088BE5B.jpeg

Reactions: Lionsbreath
Here in Europe SK Rifle match and new SK Long range are in the same price bracket so SK Long RangeMatch i now the ammo of choice for rimfire PRS and likes ,localy that means up to about 300m.

drglock,

I don't know if you tried this or not, but shoot a couple of mags of SK+ and then try the SK Rifle Match without testing any other ammo in between. From what I've seen, you won't see the true potential from any 22LR ammo by changing up brands and testing immediately.

Mr.BR,

I've tried the Long Range Match. I see a speed increase of 30-40 FPS with the Long Range Match over Rifle Match, but a little less accuracy even at 200+ yards.

Of course your results may vary.

First of all... Great Shooting!
Threads like this are great for the reason that it helps people understand that they need to try different ammo in their own rifles. I think it is also helpful, to show people that you can use different ammo in the same rifle and swap out depending on your needs.

When the absolute best is not required, you know that Wolf is going to do really well at that distance, but you can also see how much more consistent the higher end stuff is.

For the guys comparing how the other models shoot in their rifles, while SK has worked really well in my rifles, I was disappointed that the STD+ wasn't better for me. The Rifle Match has been my go to in most cases, with the CX reserved for the times when I need to take it up a notch. That being said, my current CZ likes Eley Black more, and none of my other CZs have ever liked it as much and neither did my Vudoo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lsmart95
95, thanks for the pic and info. There aren't many repeater .22 actions that consistently produce very high performance. Your Sako quad can obviously play in the big boy sandbox. Does it have it's original trigger? What is it adjusted to?

I’m a bit embarrassed to say that I don’t know if it’s the original trigger. I’ll ask Jered. I do know that it’s set for 2lbs. I have a couple of young kids that I take out every once in a while. A little weight makes things a bit more intentional.

drglock,

I don't know if you tried this or not, but shoot a couple of mags of SK+ and then try the SK Rifle Match without testing any other ammo in between. From what I've seen, you won't see the true potential from any 22LR ammo by changing up brands and testing immediately.

Mr.BR,

I've tried the Long Range Match. I see a speed increase of 30-40 FPS with the Long Range Match over Rifle Match, but a little less accuracy even at 200+ yards.

Of course your results may vary.
I actualy tested my rifles in Shonebeck SK-Lapua factory and picked up SK Long Range Match lots that shoot same or better than best SK Rifle Match i had. It was actualy first time they tested SK LR Match on their range for a customer. Rimfire ammo is picky shit if you not have right lot then top of the range ammo is no good , so judgment calls based on one or two lots are not all that accurate. Testign 12 or so lots 2 vere good rest was not .Just just have to find ammo that works with your rifle.

53489145_2269127949966180_2909052061922361344_o.jpg

Reactions: LoCal247
I tested about 15-20 rounds of Lapua Center-X in my CZ 457 MTR just two days ago. My results were hampered by a 6-15 mph wind blowing left to right. Yet I see great potential in the Center-X. My targets were placed at 50 yds. and my last five round group was completed in light wind just before I left for the day. I wanted to share these results despite the wind conditions, and because my CZ 457 really likes the ammunition. Best, Glenn
IMG_0551.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0549.JPG
    IMG_0549.JPG
    342.5 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0552.JPG
    IMG_0552.JPG
    485.9 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0541.JPG
    IMG_0541.JPG
    880.3 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0543.JPG