• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report wondering about .308 terminal ballistics...

tobylazur

Private
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2007
I was thinking about shortening the barrel on my .308, but it got me thinking about terminal ballistics.

Does a .308 need a certain velocity to be effective like .223? What would be an effective range for a rifle with a 18''-20'' barrel? (I know that they are accurate out to 800+ yards)

Sorry for all the ignorant sounding questions. I'm just getting into long range shooting.

Re: wondering about .308 terminal ballistics...

The need for speed in .223 is for both of the USGI loadings. FMJ is the problem.

In FMJ .308s, the only one that was NOT reported to give not-so-terminally effective pencil wounding was some West German steel jacket stuff that used a fairly thin jacket.

Use an A-Max or a thinner-jacket HPBT match bullet and that changes a lot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308sako</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Killed a Moose in Newfoundland with a 20" Sako .308 carbine, range about 450 yards... better bullet selection would have helped. But the Moose only ran about 50 yards after the broadside lung hit. Second round (I failed to lead him) went through both hams and his scortum... <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">put him down right there</span></span>. Dead when we got to him.</div></div>

SCROTUM.............OUCH

I'm told there's a special hell for folks who do that sort of thing
eek.gif
wink.gif

I've killed deer out to 660 yards with a 20" .308. My favorite bullet is the AMAX. Really hammers the deer. I use 168s mostly. I have also used 150 grain soft points and they work good too, they aren't as accurate though.

-dan

Do you frequently get an exit with the AMAX?

Does the projectile stay together or fragment violently?

Looking at testing some Hornady 168gr TAP for a duty load and just wondering what the results on thin skinned game are.

just plain soft point 165 federals not the premiums penetrate fully on medium bucks and does down here, and there is no bullet fragmenting... the premium bullets are a bit more explosive...like the plastic tipped winchester supremes... horrible wounds follow the sound of the discharge... LOL..still fully penetrate
dk

Most commercial hunting loads are designed to be used in barrels of around 22" (look at the factory hunting rifle catalogues), varmint loads are probably optimized for a length of around 24" (check same source, only varmint rifles).

Long range hunting (essentially anything beyond 300yd) is not part of the testing regimen for such loadings.

In my humble opinion, that says most of what I need to know about longer range hunting and terminal peformance, and is the primary reason I prefer not to do such things. I feel the animals deserve a better chance of a clean kill.

I'd rather prove my skills as a hunter/stalker, than as a marksman. I can do the latter on paper targets, and they never have to crawl away and die slowly.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd rather prove my skills as a hunter/stalker, than as a marksman. I can do the latter on paper targets, and they never have to crawl away and die slowly.</div></div>
You should have seen one target I shot at 100 with an SKS and ChiCom ammo.

After I printed a nice 6-inch group on it, it *did* try to crawl away!

Okay, the wind did help a bit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you frequently get an exit with the AMAX?

Does the projectile stay together or fragment violently?

Looking at testing some Hornady 168gr TAP for a duty load and just wondering what the results on thin skinned game are. </div></div>

Almost always get a exit. They seem to always fragment/grenade, but there is also, always a big exit hole. I think that the base or piece of a jacket is what goes all the way through. The deer I shot at around 400 yards, bullet went in at an angle and went all the way through. I found jacket material in the exit hole.

AMAXs are great bullets, you won't be disappointed, esp. at closer ranges where the bullet really blows up. 60 grain VMAXs work great in .223 also. . .

-dan