• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

wondering about barrel heat mirage

tinker

Private
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2017
north of philly
I did a little digging and everything is all about using the mirage in the air (at distance to make wind calls) and that is fine.

But I haven't found much on the subject of mirage from barrel heat (I am planning on trying out a mirage barrel cover).

But the other day I was shooting a few groups to verify the loading my son will be using this upcoming weekend and of course there are a couple flyers that ruin groups but I wanted to do a couple of groups at 200 yards as well really quick and the barrel was warm so there was a good amount of mirage.

So I wonder is there anything other than just waiting till the barrel is cool and/or using a mirage board ?

Both groups at 200 were weird int he same exact way. I shot one group with factory ammo and one with my loading. The factory stuff wasn't as good but BOTH groups had two shot to the left and three shots to the right, almost like separate groupings. I can only attribute it to barrel mirage. Sad part is otherwise they would have been half way decent groups.

Barrel coolers work. I have this one because it quiet and works very well. I got the USB version and just plug a small power bank to it. The Riflekühl one drives me crazy with a constant high pitched whining tone.

That and a mirage band.

Only options I know of aside from slapping a wet towel on it or pissing on it. lol. I don’t recommend either of these approaches. Haha

Last edited: