• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Woodchuck Hunting

sl78928

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2008
Marion, NC, United States
I can't wait til the groundhogs start coming out more. Here are a few hogs I got last year. I would like to see other peoples groundhog pics.
2klgrl.jpg

54zwvc.jpg

359yfzm.jpg

2638wsx.jpg

25ushhu.jpg

Re: Woodchuck Hunting

cci br primer, LC brass, berger 60 gr varmint, and 24.5 gr varget. That's the load I used in the .223 in the pic. I also use a 6 br groundhog hunting and the load I in it is berger 80 gr varmint, 31.7 gr varget, rem 7 1/2 br primer and lapua brass.
I also kill them with a bow. The area that I have to hunt doesn't have much distance so most of the rifle shots were in the 100 to 300 yard range. I really want to find another place to hunt groundhogs that has more distance.

Nice. I wish that we had ground hogs to shoot at, but it might seem a bit too easy. They're pretty big targets. We have prairie dogs though.

PrairieDog.jpg

Woodchucks / ground hogs are a good time. Yeah they are a bit of a larger target but they are a bit fewer and farther between than prairie dogs. Seems to be hundreds of prairie dogs at a time in their "towns" when ever I've seen them. Much smaller target but way more to choose from when spending a day shooting.

At home we end up "road hunting" for woodchucks and hitting several farmers fields in an afternoon.

Man I can't wait to get home on vacation again, break out my SR15 Match and new 700P that's off being tuned.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomcat088</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice. I wish that we had ground hogs to shoot at, but it might seem a bit too easy. They're pretty big targets. We have prairie dogs though.

PrairieDog.jpg
</div></div>

well a groundhogs head isn't any bigger than a prairie dogs ass and it looks like the ass is what your hitting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sl78928</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
well a groundhogs head isn't any bigger than a prairie dogs ass and it looks like the ass is what your hitting. </div></div>

Fair enough SL78928, although he was running and not close and in West Texas wind. But sure yeah, I center punched him while he was running. Some of us can't make the headshots that you can at 300 yards on small targets that quickly disappear and running in gusty wind over 12 mph. Oh well, I'm just glad I got the kill. Oh and I'm honest, it wasn't a first round hit either.

Man I really miss those days of busten them suckers. We used to live in Avon, OH and they were everywhere! Hook up with a local Farmer, pick a bean field and it's on Baby!!!

I've used a range of guns for ghog hunting. The 22-250 is by far my favorite. Explosive, as u can see from the photo. I was aiming for the head by the way.
wink.gif

100_8472.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomcat088</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Fair enough SL78928, although he was running and not close and in West Texas wind. But sure yeah, I center punched him while he was running. Some of us can't make the headshots that you can at 300 yards on small targets that quickly disappear and running in gusty wind over 12 mph. Oh well, I'm just glad I got the kill. Oh and I'm honest, it wasn't a first round hit either. </div></div>

Sounds like you made a good shot. Don't know if you were inferring that I'm not honest, but I'm very honest. If I say it or post it you can count on it being the truth. Also, if you get a chance to hunt groundhogs somewhere and they are just to easy of a target for you with a rifle then use a bow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sl78928</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like you made a good shot. Don't know if you were inferring that I'm not honest, but I'm very honest. If I say it or post it you can count on it being the truth. Also, if you get a chance to hunt groundhogs somewhere and they are just to easy of a target for you with a rifle then use a bow.
</div></div>

I just thought you were being a bit critical of my shooting for not knowing the conditions. I was not trying to infer that you were dishonest. I felt like I made a decent shot for the conditions, and was just saying that it was not a first round hit, lol. Out here I looked at the average yearly wind average (my father is into electric wind turbines) and last year our average in general was just over 17 mph per day. We get some terrible wind conditions to shoot in. LOL, I have enough problems with prairie dogs at long range, so I'll just work on that. I'm sure groundhogs have their own little patterns and distances that would make them their own challenge. I've never tried to hunt with a bow, lol, but I ain't even gonna try right now.

You're right that i didn't know the conditions, the only reason I posted what I did though was because you made it sound like groundhogs was just too easy of a target for you. Those wind conditions certainly do sound challenging and like alot of fun. I wished I had a place to shoot prairie dogs, I've never even seen one other than in pics. Well I'm going groundhog hunting tomorrow because I have started seeing a few more out lately and it's suppose to get up to 62 degrees. Good luck PD hunting and keep me posted on your success.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sl78928</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're right that i didn't know the conditions, the only reason I posted what I did though was because you made it sound like groundhogs was just too easy of a target for you. Those wind conditions certainly do sound challenging and like alot of fun. I wished I had a place to shoot prairie dogs, I've never even seen one other than in pics. Well I'm going groundhog hunting tomorrow because I have started seeing a few more out lately and it's suppose to get up to 62 degrees. Good luck PD hunting and keep me posted on your success. </div></div>

I know that usually tone doesn't come across the net very well. I was actually just trying to joke and tease the OP a little bit. I enjoy shooting prairie dogs, but I'm actually envious of you guys that have these targets that you can stretch out and shoot a ways at. I'm not good enough to shoot in the wind conditions that we get out here sometimes, I guess the bonus of it all is that it's VERY flat. I'd like to see some of you more experienced shooters work this wind, so that I didn't feel like I was completely imcompetent, or feel really retarded, lol. I hope that you make several of your own groundhogs explode, and keep me posted on your progress there. I'll see if I can take the camera with me next time I go PD hunting, and get some video, could be fun.

mmmmmmm......woodchucks. Last year I ran the 223AI and 22-250 but this year I'll be playing with the 243AI and looking to add a little more red to the pics. Here's a few.

(I apologize to the dial-up guys)

100_2586.jpg

330yds.jpg

100_2637.jpg

100_2569.jpg

100_2572.jpg

100_2575.jpg

100_1204.jpg

gun002.jpg

Blender368yd-1.jpg

BlenderPig-1.jpg

We need to hit up the farmers around Youngs!!!! I can see it now....a bunch of piling out of the big white van, those woodchuck's down there would be in trouble. Needless to say there were no woodchucks out in the lovely weather we had down there yesterday.

Snoman, Is that the '06?

ya its the 06... alittle overkill but it stops them in there tracks lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sno-man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ya its the 06... alittle overkill but it stops them in there tracks lol </div></div>Inside of 150 yards my 30-06 would pick them up and spin them in the air.

I would bet that a 110Vmax at 35 or 3600 from your 300WM would be pretty spectacular.
grin.gif

Someone is having way too much fun. Seriously, thats some good pics and nice looking rifles.

Some evenings they all want to come out and play as you can tell from the brass. Connected out over 900yds here.
TRGWTs.jpg

ASC08016.jpg

The 15 yr old daughter connecting @512yd

groundhog005.jpg

First trip to the 750 yard line
4thjuly020.jpg

i wish i had stuff out that far here... my longest was a raccoon off the top of the SUV at 475 with my 6.5mm x 284

john i was kinda hope that your daughter would be wearing one of the shirts i made her... unless she did not dig it

a action picture... not seen one of those in a long time

LOL Brad,

I juut could not connect on the one we say down at Youngs, behind the 800 yard burm. My fist shot, just under him sent him as fast as I have ever seen anything run. I must have shot at him 6-7 times, he was on a dead out sprint to the woods, behind the 1k plates. I am sure he died in the woods of a heart atack though..

Gotta start them Killin lessons early an often.

This was the 512yd Daughter when she carried a BB Gun
hunting07.jpg

This is the baby comming out of the blocks.She can always find a "bear" in that Master Sporter 223s Night Force!
DSC00054.jpg

Do you eat the hogs after shooting them? If you do then don't bother to read here any further. My hunting ethics fall somewhere between Tecumseh and Ted Nugent. If you kill it you must grill it. If you are shooting them just for reactionary targets then thats just plain gay, what kind of thrill of the hunt can a groundhog possibly give, they are fat and slow and do not run off when approached.Kind of the equivalent of trying to fuck really, really fat women in the bar, some cats do it but its just wrong. I pull my bike into my yard that has a 113 inch S&S motor with no mufflers and they don't even flinch. I don't want to hear the excuse you shoot them to protect cattle thats just bullshit. If you shoot them for the red mist they produce its time to join our armed forces and varmint hunt something interesting.

"Groundhogs are often hunted for sport, which tends to control their numbers. However, their ability to reproduce quickly has tended to mitigate the depopulating effects of sport hunting.[4] As a consequence, the groundhog is a familiar animal to many people in the United States and Canada." I got this from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groundhog .

I shoot them for whatever reason I want to and it's none of your damn buisness. Just like you go around riding your bike with a 113 cu in S&S motor with no mufflers, which by the way doesn't sound real smart to me. But it's none of my buisness, just as what I do is none of your buisness. Oh, and I already have joined the armed forces.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 713</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you eat the hogs after shooting them? If you do then don't bother to read here any further. My hunting ethics fall somewhere between Tecumseh and Ted Nugent. If you kill it you must grill it. If you are shooting them just for reactionary targets then thats just plain gay, what kind of thrill of the hunt can a groundhog possibly give, they are fat and slow and do not run off when approached.Kind of the equivalent of trying to fuck really, really fat women in the bar, some cats do it but its just wrong. I pull my bike into my yard that has a 113 inch S&S motor with no mufflers and they don't even flinch. I don't want to hear the excuse you shoot them to protect cattle thats just bullshit. If you shoot them for the red mist they produce its time to join our armed forces and varmint hunt something interesting.</div></div>

Thats great and all, but have you ever had to put down a horse because it broke its leg in one of their many, many holes? If you haven't then you'll probably never understand. They completely destroy farm land and have also created problems with some of our houses' foundations. So, yes I do enjoy when I see another dead groundhog.

I do agree with your eat what you shoot rule, but groundhogs don't deserve that respect. I just feed them to the vultures. They gotta eat too.

Just an 'ol country boy's perspective

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 713</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you eat the hogs after shooting them? If you do then don't bother to read here any further. My hunting ethics fall somewhere between Tecumseh and Ted Nugent. If you kill it you must grill it. If you are shooting them just for reactionary targets then thats just plain gay, what kind of thrill of the hunt can a groundhog possibly give, they are fat and slow and do not run off when approached.Kind of the equivalent of trying to fuck really, really fat women in the bar, some cats do it but its just wrong. I pull my bike into my yard that has a 113 inch S&S motor with no mufflers and they don't even flinch. I don't want to hear the excuse you shoot them to protect cattle thats just bullshit. If you shoot them for the red mist they produce its time to join our armed forces and varmint hunt something interesting.</div></div>

Not that it is worth my time to type it but here in PA if the hunters don't keep the numbers down the farmers will poison them. When that happens they are all gone along with many other critters who eat them. There is a farm that was poisoned in Somerset PA about 4 years ago and there is still not a chuck on it.

Second, the chucks we hunt are pretty bright (the dumb ones usually wind up as somethings dinner). Maybe if you hunted a few you might understand. I can't tell you how much field practice they have given me but I made an ethical 645 yard shot on my Elk thanks to the trigger time these chucks have given me. I served 14 years too!

JamieD

P.S. Love to see the kids brought out, my girl is nine and love's to chuck hunt with me.

Public forums are not the place to be attacking fellow hunters and shooters. Peta and the anti-gunners love this bullshit. Back to groundhog pictures please.
5-29-07002.jpg

PICT0194.jpg

PICT0198.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 713</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you eat the hogs after shooting them? If you do then don't bother to read here any further. My hunting ethics fall somewhere between Tecumseh and Ted Nugent. If you kill it you must grill it. If you are shooting them just for reactionary targets then thats just plain gay, what kind of thrill of the hunt can a groundhog possibly give, they are fat and slow and do not run off when approached.Kind of the equivalent of trying to fuck really, really fat women in the bar, some cats do it but its just wrong. I pull my bike into my yard that has a 113 inch S&S motor with no mufflers and they don't even flinch. I don't want to hear the excuse you shoot them to protect cattle thats just bullshit. If you shoot them for the red mist they produce its time to join our armed forces and varmint hunt something interesting. </div></div>

You ever saw a farmer that is just barely getting by, break an entire tractor front end off in a ground hog town during cutting time? These things dont heal on there own and the cost is way more than a cutting of hay will yield! And it's easy not to by that "cow stepped in a hole and broke a leg" shit as you have never priced or had to drop the hammer on a registered Angus Bull. But farmer brown does have the option to trap and relocate them to a nice socialized groundhog community or supply them with little rubbers and birth control pills to prevent the population growth.

Guess by your reasoning one shouldn't kill rats in the barn

Way out of your lane on this one 713

And yeah a have eat them!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 713</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you eat the hogs after shooting them? If you do then don't bother to read here any further. My hunting ethics fall somewhere between Tecumseh and Ted Nugent. If you kill it you must grill it. If you are shooting them just for reactionary targets then thats just plain gay, what kind of thrill of the hunt can a groundhog possibly give, they are fat and slow and do not run off when approached.Kind of the equivalent of trying to fuck really, really fat women in the bar, some cats do it but its just wrong. I pull my bike into my yard that has a 113 inch S&S motor with no mufflers and they don't even flinch. I don't want to hear the excuse you shoot them to protect cattle thats just bullshit. If you shoot them for the red mist they produce its time to join our armed forces and varmint hunt something interesting. </div></div>

im not even going to explain myself to you... like everyone else i live/own 1100 acres... so if you dont like the thread kindly show yourself the fuck out of it and read something else

I knew I would get flamed but I guess I look at things differently. After you've been in actual gun fights with other men you tend to look differently at shooting fish in a barrel. I guess everyone has their own standards, I work with a guy who flys out to Billings MT. and gets paid to shoot (cull) wild horses. He can give a fuck less about why they pay him he just likes to kill shit and i respect him for putting it bluntly.

Jon I have shot with you and respect you thats why I put the question out there? I really was not sure.

I think the gist of what 713 is trying to say is that the main reason why people shoot groundhogs is because it's simply fun to turn them into red mist, the fact that it is also beneficial for farmers and the environment is an added bonus (maybe he wants more people to admit that it's fun to explode furry creatures instead of saying they do it for the environment?)

And yes, it is fun to watch furry things get turned into amazing biotechnic art.

We shoot chucks for two reasons at home.

1. To help the farmers and protect their investments (equipment and stock)
2. Sport. They are considered a rodent in NY and we don't even need a small game tag. Fat and not to quick but still a challenge at times over varying distances, uphill & down and beating the wind. Fun times for all.

My wife and son have all taken part. Maybe if the chucks are used to seeing people or live around houses (or by god you feed them and treat them like pets) they are a little more approachable but not in my area. They see or hear anything and they hide (little bastards) until things settle or someone (my wife) with a good whistle will stand them back up to see what the fuck is going on, bam another one down. It's not a constant all spring & summer hunting session but usually before the fields get growing too much or right after the farmers make their cuts.

Notice the pic in my side bar, I am a woodchuck fan!