• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Woody's Designated Marksman Match Sponsored By DPMS October 25th Series Finale

Woody67

Private
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2010
Fuquay-Varina N.C.
With two matches down it looks like the series finale is going to come down to the final stage. We have a couple of teams that are neck to neck. I'm looking forward to setting this one up.

Registration will be open Sunday Night the 21st. Please go to web site for more information and rules.

Look forward to seeing you on October 25th

Woody

All Dates,rules and other matches are posted on the website along with match registration Woody's Rifle and Hunting Club | Precision Rifle Competition in Central North Carolina Please take a look at all the sponsors! If you have any question feel free to contact Dave or Damon

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Re: JUNE 25TH NC DESIGNATED MARKSMAN MATCH

Woody

looking forward to the match and wringing out my new AR 10 build!

Semper Fi

Looking forward to this match!! If you like a challenge, sign up and shoot this match! You will not be disappointed.
This event provides a great opportunity to test your skills and equipment at various shooting distances. Damon told me the prize table is growing and he will have some nice trophy plaques as well.

Byron
BHE
York,SC

Sounds like a great time. I love shootin' the DMR.

Just curious - How is the distinction made between what is a DMR rifle and what is a precision rifle? Caliber? Action type? Barrel length?

--Fargo007

Still rocking the grill lighter. What's on the prize table this time?
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fargo007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like a great time. I love shootin' the DMR.

Just curious - How is the distinction made between what is a DMR rifle and what is a precision rifle? Caliber? Action type? Barrel length?

--Fargo007 </div></div>

The DMR portion of the match refers more to the distance and style of shooting rather than the equipment used. A very oversimplified description would be five long range 3gun stages turned up to 11, fired as a team event, with a 6 minute par time per stage, shot on one of the nicest pieces of natural terrain around Raleigh. The team with the lowest cumulative time wins. That description really doesn't do the amount of fun or the challenge of this match justice, but it is the simplest description I can come up with. The only equipment restriction I believe relates to rifle caliber so as not to destroy any of the AR500 steel targets (no .40 or .50 calibers). I would call Woody if you have any questions.

As for the equipment competitors run you'll see bolts, AR-10's, AR-15's, and the occasional M1A. The most common calibers shot would be .308Win and .223 Rem. I believe the winners of last match were running bolt guns in .300WinMag and .300WSM. I know a few guys were running 7mm-08's and .243Win also. Basically it is wide open and if you know your kit you should be competitive.

<span style="font-size: 23pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">Lunch will be served</span></span>

I want to note that the above sentence VASTLY understates the quality of the meal you will be served! It will be one of the best BBQ meals you've ever had.
grin.gif

If you are within 5 hours drive time of Raleigh NC and "think" you might be interested in this match, do yourself a favor give Woody a call and get signed up for this match. Woody put's on a top quality match. It will be one of the funnest matches you shoot all year!

Will the distances be given again?

And are the stages and targets in the same locations?

I beleve Woody is planning to keep that the same this match. Hope you guys can make it down again

Semper Fi

Dave

red_sc will be posting some photos of the long range portion of the match. These pics were taken @ the Spring match. A wide variety of equipment was used.

Thanks to Red SC for uploading the pics of the Long Range portion of the match!!

Many different rifle and optic combos are used. Plenty of Variety!

Byron
BHE
York,SC

Another question. Are all stages prone off bipods or will there be other positions (ie: standing, sitting, kneeling)??? It seemed all pics from last shoot were all prone.

Excellent pictures of the afternoon festivities!

Rear bags/socks and monopods are a go for the match

I would recommend you be prepared for more than prone postion.... Last match had one shot from an angled 2x4 which allowed shooter discretion. Woody is a seasoned RO, Competetior and Match Director so you never know....

One key thing for sure is it will be a great match!!!! and well worth the travel, cost and time

Thanks to the Dave and Tom for answering Q's.Been away for a few days.Looking forward to seeing everyone!1st-All sponsers will be posted by the end of the week.Looks like we will have some nice stuff on the table.2nd-everyone will have a chance to win something.Prizes will be given out by random drawing.Each shooter will be given a ticket at check-in and if their # is called out during the lunch,they pick one thing off the table.This way every shooter has a chance of winning something nice no matter what their skill level is.Will check back in this afternoon to answer any Q,s.

Thanks Damon

Just to clear up a few Q's.Stages will be driffrent this time last match dope card will not be any good to you.Stages will be some what in the same place but targets will be changed up.Yardage will be given.

Thanks Damon

I am interested in doing this, especially since it is so local.

Is anyone out there looking for a partner?

Also, what is the estimated round count for the entire event? DMR and Sniper stages.

McCrazy

We have shot togther @ JST a couple of times together and Cross Creek. I think this is great match and you would both enjoy it and do well. Glenn down @ JST has expressed interest so you may want to reach out to him. ALso call Woody and he will know of anyone looking a partner

Hope to see you there

Semper Fi

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McCrazy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, what is the estimated round count for the entire event? DMR and Sniper stages. </div></div>

DMR portion 5 stages with 6 targets per stage = <span style="font-weight: bold">30rounds clean.</span>

I shoot an LR-308 and used ~50 rounds last time. The wind was pretty calm, except for my last stage. The area for the match is quite open and the wind swirls something fierce at times. Also, all firing will not be from the prone position on terra firma. We shot from the bed of a truck last time (bouncy bouncy) and there was another stage that required shooting some targets from an angled 2x4. I am anticipating seeing some different firing positions than just prone this match.

I would conservatively bring 90-100 rounds for a .308 gas gun. If you are running a bolt 75-80 rounds should suffice. Even with three 10 round mags and having a REALLY bad day I think you'd be hard pressed to burn through 100+ rounds in the allotted time per stage. Also, remember that you do have to pack your equipment from stage to stage and up the hill to stages 2 & 3 is not a 50-100yd stroll. I personally pack 150 rounds just to be safe for the DMR portion.

The Sniper portion is not as clear cut, but~30-50 rounds should suffice. Branson can elaborate further since he RO's that event.

Thanks. My reloading set-up is out of action right now but I will see what I can manage.

Woody ... found out I have my PALS course that weekend. But I need to get practiced up again anyway, since I haven't had time to shoot the last few months. Will be there for the next one after, though.

Yes,still some spots open.Please call me for info.Thanks go out to BHE/Troy Ind./Horus Vision/Southern Thunder for putting prizes up for the match,and more to be added to the list next week.

Woody

Really wish I could be down there to shoot. Best time I've had in a long time. Make it hard so them Northern fellers won't have it so easy. Tell your Dad hello. Ken is over seas and I'll be out west.

Unfortunately my shooting buddy and I wont be able to attend this match. Will keep my eyes and ears open for the next comp if I am still in the area.

Good luck and good shooting.

-Jon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hammrr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Really wish I could be down there to shoot. Best time I've had in a long time. Make it hard so them Northern fellers won't have it so easy. Tell your Dad hello. Ken is over seas and I'll be out west. </div></div>

We've been practicing to shoot upside down, on one foot, and with both eyes closed because of your post.
grin.gif
I think we're going to try to make this match. My buddy just had a baby and I just got married and things have been crazy (= no practice) but we're stoked to try and come down to shoot with you all again and eat more of that delicious BBQ.

Go-time is fast approaching!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black-X</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hammrr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Really wish I could be down there to shoot. Best time I've had in a long time. Make it hard so them Northern fellers won't have it so easy. Tell your Dad hello. Ken is over seas and I'll be out west. </div></div>

We've been practicing to shoot upside down, on one foot, and with both eyes closed because of your post.
grin.gif
I think we're going to try to make this match. My buddy just had a baby and I just got married and things have been crazy (= no practice) but we're stoked to try and come down to shoot with you all again and eat more of that delicious BBQ.

Sorry to bring it up again but I'm curious, was the prize table ever announced? Go-time is fast approaching! </div></div>

Well then. I guess all I can say to that would be "Burn em up"! Congrats to you both on a new baby and a new life!

Just a little over a week out, I'm really looking forward to this, it will be my first tactical style match.

Match approaching fast.

Just curious if you have to shoot the same rifle in both comps? Would rules allow a different gun in the afternoon LR or do you have to stick with same from A.M. DMM. Also, any limits on rests for the LR portion? Bi-pod only; or can we break out a mechanical?

Thanks for any clarrification. Looking forward to it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coleridge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Match approaching fast.

Just curious if you have to shoot the same rifle in both comps? Would rules allow a different gun in the afternoon LR or do you have to stick with same from A.M. DMM. Also, any limits on rests for the LR portion? Bi-pod only; or can we break out a mechanical?

Thanks for any clarrification. Looking forward to it!</div></div>

Give Damon a call for a definitive answer. In the interum, to the best of my recollection you do NOT have to shoot the same rifle in both matches. As for front rest I believe bipod, pack, and or sandbags are Kosher but a mechanical front rest like those used in F Class Open I'm quite sure are not. The underlying principles for these matches are to simulate "real world" type scenarios. Again call Damon to be 100% certain what is legal though.

I confirmed with Woody 2 different rifles is no problem ( I am running new AR10 morning and my Tikka T3 Bolt afternoon) and as Bunsen said real world only so pack or bipod no f class or bench rest kit. Rear shopooting sock is good to go

Been busy setting up for the match.Thanks for the reply Dave and Tom.You guys have my back.As promised this one is going to be tuff.1000 yds on the long range and out to 600 on the morning match on stage 3 w/ at least 1 no shoot on each stage.Look forward to seeing some new faces and old.Water wagon will be coming around each to stage and while shooter are walking to stages, so don't worry about toting alot of water.

Woody

As always Woody is taking it up a notch!!!!!That is why I love this match venue

Water wagon sounds great with 90F forecast for Saturday.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hammrr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black-X</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hammrr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Really wish I could be down there to shoot. Best time I've had in a long time. Make it hard so them Northern fellers won't have it so easy. Tell your Dad hello. Ken is over seas and I'll be out west. </div></div>

grin.gif

Sorry to bring it up again but I'm curious, was the prize table ever announced? Go-time is fast approaching! </div></div>

Well then. I guess all I can say to that would be "Burn em up"! Congrats to you both on a new baby and a new life! </div></div>

Thanks man!

Just a couple more days, can't wait.
smile.gif

For those coming in from out of town and not familuar with the area here a few few points of interest.

Wake County Firearms Center 100yd indoor range for last minute zero confirmations. Call ahead. Dependent on whom is working the desk they can be friendly or a little fickle to out of towners.

Wasabi Thai & Sushi One of the better Thai and Sushi places close to those staying in Cary or Apex. The shopping center it is located in (Magregor Village) has several other nice eateries and Magregor Ale House.

Carolina Ale House The Cary location is quite nice.

Crossroads Plaza A large outdoor shopping center with many big name retailers and resteraunts.

Along Walnut street in Cary there are several additional shopping centers that have just about everything under the Sun you might be interested in. Cary has some funny/odd signage laws so if you don't know exactly where you are going it can be a little difficult to find.

Walmart's in the area love it or hate it in a pinch they will have what you need

If you are looking for something specific in the area please feel free to PM me, I will be glad to assist in any way I can. I meant to post this earlier in the week, but have been busy at work.

Car is half loaded .... waiting on my partner and we'll be headed that way.

Hope I didn't forget anything

Looks like we will have a GREAT shoot tomorrow. Time for us all to SEND IT!

Woody, excellent match. Non-shoot LaRue's were a nice addition to ratchet up difficultly a step. (Of course I say that only b/c I got away clean today w/o the wind fairy blowing any of my rounds onto them). The way-up close targets were a nice change too.

Looking forward to the next match in September, whatever it may be called then, sponsors willing. Your BBQ could put a lot of local joints out of business if you ever go into that business.
wink.gif

A few photos for the forum then the rest are online.

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">A quick filter of the photos from today, 101 up now:
https://picasaweb.google.com/barry.evans/WoodySDesignatedMarksmanMatchJune25th2011</span>
</span>

DSC_5182.jpg

DSC_5227.jpg

DSC_5347.jpg

DSC_5432.jpg

DSC_5192.jpg

DSC_5359.jpg

DSC_5467.jpg

DSC_5379.jpg

DSC_5233.jpg

DSC_5225.jpg

DSC_5286.jpg

DSC_5340.jpg

DSC_5405.jpg

DSC_5374.jpg

DSC_5237.jpg

DSC_5289.jpg

DSC_5414.jpg

DSC_5270.jpg

So, those of you that turned in the sub-1500s times today, what gear were you running?

Too tired for words other than AWESOME! Some pics for now:

IMG_1797.jpg

IMG_1794.jpg

IMG_1791.jpg

IMG_1801.jpg

IMG_1800.jpg

IMG_1802.jpg

IMG_1816.jpg

Glad it went well.

I was driving back from the beach.

I will need to make it out to one of these one day.

John