• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Woops.... shoot or pull?

MrMike

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2009
Port Clyde, Maine
Well my first attempt at hand loading went well. I had read in a couple places to start at the minimum recommended load and work up in .5 grain increments till a tight group is reached.

How ever, after talking to a couple folks in the shout box I first learned that a .2 grain work up is safer and more accurate. Also Cuff turned me on to OCW tests (thanks cuff).

After reading up on OCW work ups I decided that was a much better way to go for sure.....

But now.... I have 20 rounds loaded up that I cant use with the OCW method, so the question is this... Do I pull them and reload them for use in the OCW test or fire them into the dirt bank and chock it up to experience?

Mike

Re: Woops.... shoot or pull?

I hate pulling bullets!!

I'd shoot them, but keep track of the results and use the same care you were going to. The OCW method is good, but all info is good info so just shoot those and then do the OCW tests later in addition to what you find with these 20.

Assuming you started at minimum and have 5 each starting there and up in .5 grain increments, you likely have good ammo that will only be lower in velocity than your ultimate OCW discovery and perhaps slightly less accurate. Unless the OCW load coincides with one or more of the first loads! Then they are a bonus!

It could happen. Plenty of folks load for accuracy in just that fashion. Shoot them well and chalk it up to research.

Shoot it is then... now with the OCW test, the one I found works up from 10% below max to 1% over max. Now I'm a pilot and in flying max means max, as in do not exceed. Is this not the case here?

I understand its only 1% and they do have you run 3 rounds for pressure tests.

Sierra says 41.1 max I found another source that says 41.0 so I started my base line at 41.0, my final load would be 41.41 (1% more then max). Shooting Sierra 168gr hpbt with IMR 3031. Yes once the 3031 is gone I'll be moving to the 4064 most likely.

Here is a snipit of what I have been reading along with a link

Link to OCW instructions

<span style="font-style: italic">3. Consult at least three load data sources for maximum charge weight for the powder you've selected. Powder manufacturers are the most reliable source. You must then decide on what your maximum charge will be.

4. Back away from the maximum charge by 7 to 10 percent, and load one test round with this charge. Add 2% to the charge weight, and load another cartridge with that charge. Load a third test cartridge with the next 2% graduation. You will use these three cartridges for sighters, and more importantly to determine pressure tolerance in your individual rifle.

5. Add another 2% or so to the charge level used in cartridge #3 of step 4, and load three rounds with this charge weight. Add .7% to 1% to this charge, and load three more. Add that same graduation again, and load three more. Continue adding the chosen graduation until you have moved ONE increment above your chosen maximum powder charge.
</span>

I'd go ahead and shoot the base ammo. It might surprise you seeing what a change 0.5 grains will make or not as sometimes happens. The chrono data on loads and how a standard increment effects the results is very interesting also. It also tips you off quickly if something is getting out of hand when you suddenly pass the projected velocities way to soon.

On your question about max is max...
Yes max is max sierras lawyers have to assume that you are shooting a rickety piece of crap gun, And they have to be sure that their max load doesn't blow it to smithrines and poke your eye out
wink.gif
.... So yes max is max but you can pass it, just do it carefully and know your pressure signs.
Dustin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When in doubt, pull out!

I find that advice to be applicable in most areas of life

DD </div></div>

I have 4 kids... LMAO!

I will be watching for pressure carefully. Loading up the last set of 3 I noticed there isnt a lot of room left in that case.

Thanks for all the help guys.

As long as the loads are not excessively hot, they should be used as part of the pressure testing/ladder testing process. It's often useful to know how the loads that bracket a chosen node will perform, as this can give insight into load performance when shooting environmental conditions alter significantly.

Greg