• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Words cannot express...

After the amnesia you'll have a compass to know which way North is. So you've got that going for you.

Well, that's certainly interesting...maybe for 1 or 2 people in the world.

Those guns were cheap well up into the 80's. Not a big deal then. The reason the real ones bring anything at all now is thanks to guys like that. I remember working on a ranch in eastern KS back in the early 70's. One of the hands wanted a rifle and the owner sent him out to the barn. He came back with two crates. One was a 1903 and the other a Garand. We opened them and pulled out the O3, de greased it. What a mess. Then it got the full Fajan treatment. Happened often back then. No one really cared about them at all.

wow. I didn't know you could get the gas gear in that particularly inappropriate shade of silver.

The gas cylinder, gas cylinder lock and gas cylinder lock screw were manufactured from stainless steel... someone went to considerable effort to polish it out. I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

At least it wasn't a gas trap M1.

BabyJesusCry.jpg

I had a Winchester carbine once that someone milled the rear sight boss off of and mounted a scope.

Even worse my buddy bought a Winchester Garand off his neighbor who "spirited it" from the Army when he came back from Korea...he had ground the serial number off.
Plus side it was an all matching Winchester gun so the rest of the parts were valuable.

Sickening, shameful, utterly disgusting, belongs in San Francisco.

Moderators, please purge this thread, and then rinse off your keyboard, monitor, and hands with isopropyl alcohol.

Yeah, I know it's a butchered piece of history. But, just like Mausers and Mannlichers and Arisakas that were "sporterized" (the widest degree of human measurement I've seen in one lifetime) M1's got sporterized as well. The thinking was 'they were done'. Often they came back to the U.S. in miserable shape. Sporterizing gave them a second life. A lot of us wouldn't even have pursued getting one in original condition had we not fired a sporter.

I agree there are some 'tones' I would not have set with this rifle. But, it gets me thinking...all those old girls that no one will dance with 'cause they ain't purty, might do a lot better if they had some different makeup on, eh?

Shop teacher Bircham said it best, "Car's are like women." Well, I think guns are like women too. I prefer the less pretty ones. Oh, I'd have me a pretty one or two as well. The problem with owning a GAP, Holland and Holland or a Purdy, Surgeon, (name your poison) is that all your friends think they oughta take her for a spin around the block. I prefer the ugly ones, cause like a '77 Ford Pickup, you can throw the lumber in the back end as hard as you want an no one is gonna care. Drive it all over town and no one's gonna steal it either. And when you make 'em do what they're supposed to, they get the job done. Whatever kind of 'job' you want. I'll bet that there ugly ass M1 wouldn't have any problem killing a deer or two. Better yet, getting rid of some whitetail up here in Northern Idaho.

I sorta agree with sandwarrior, despite the fact that that was a pretty poor attempt at sporterizing. However, the owner sure is proud of it. So much so that he thinks he should get $825 for it. On the other hand, this time it says "No Reserve!", so this is someone's chance to pick this up cheap and find an old stock and hardware for it to give it a good home.

Whatcha all waiting for?? :)

I sorta agree with sandwarrior, despite the fact that that was a pretty poor attempt at sporterizing. However, the owner sure is proud of it. So much so that he thinks he should get $825 for it. On the other hand, this time it says "No Reserve!", so this is someone's chance to pick this up cheap and find an old stock and hardware for it to give it a good home.

Whatcha all waiting for?? :)

I'm trying to figure how they aim that thing. It doesn't appear to have a rear sight or a way of mounting an optic.

Like was said they were relativly cheap and ultra dependable years back. They were chambered in a great hunting round but they are a tank when it comes to weight and scope mounting was not easy or practical. This is one of the better attempts of sporterizing an M1 I've seen but it's still painful to look at. I really like the compass in the stock!!!

Like was said they were relativly cheap and ultra dependable years back. They were chambered in a great hunting round but they are a tank when it comes to weight and scope mounting was not easy or practical. This is one of the better attempts of sporterizing an M1 I've seen but it's still painful to look at. I really like the compass in the stock!!!

Tank? Really? I don't own one yet but have handled many and am always amazed at how light they are, especially for a real rifle. Then again I'm a tad jaded with my super match m1a.