• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Words of advice!

Sharpsman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2010
Rayville, La.
The M1911 .45 pistol is my favorite and I have taught many people to shoot it quite well. Two of my M1911's are target pistols; one built by James Clark, Shreveport, La. many years ago and another by a friend who resides in Monroe, La. Both excellent shooters. I have one Colts MK IV Series 70 that has never had any accuracy work other than having fixed sights installed. After reading the thread reference the AS involving the little 9 year old girl with the MG I thought back to an incident that occurred many years ago involving a person being taught to shoot the M1911 .45. It's important to remember that many of these pistols have been owned by many people possibly; have passed through many hands and there is always the possibility that some 'jake-leg' so-called gunsmith has butchered up the sear to the degree that the pistol isn't safe! The person instructing the individual involved in the incident mentioned loaded 7 rounds into the M1911 mag and IIRC the trainee was a female....and normally women have weaker hands! At the first shot....this pistol went into full auto mode...the lady dropped said pistol and it rotated in the air and 'stitched her' with rounds through the head and chest! Morale of this story? NEVER EVER....load more than one round into any pistol when instructing a 'newbie' with it and any trainee should first start out with a lesser caliber and recoil!!

FWIW!!

Never a bad idea to only load the magazine with one round for the first after doing any gunsmithing yourself around the sear or trigger if you aren't 100% sure what you are doing. Next mag gets 2 rounds to confirm the gun doesn't run away from you... I've known some 'special' people who think they can do trigger jobs on their AR's.

Many years ago, a female crime scene investigator was at the range by Big Bear Lake trying to get a ballistic fingerprint off a 1911. She loaded the magazine full, and the gun ran away from her. 6th round got her in the top of skull. Range rules now say you can only load the mag of any semi-automatic pistol to 5 rounds...