• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Work Bench Set Up

Naaman

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 13, 2020
What set ups are you all using?

I'm looking at putting together a set up to do some armorer level work.

Initial set up will be for working on the stuff we use at work (Glocks and ARs). I know about the Geissele reaction rod, but wondering what else is out there that might be worth having.

Eventually, I'd like to expand to working on bolt guns (I have a wood-stocked M70 I'd like to work on) and shotguns.

For now, I'm a beginner, but I have some armorer training coming up later this year.

Also, I'm wondering about something I heard about torque wrenches: folks say that any device that would add length to the torque wrench changes the output, and therefore, torque needs to be applied at "90 degrees". However, I'm wondering if the engineers who develop the torque specs have factored this in already, and do we just mount the barrel nut wrench in-line with the torque wrench?

However, I'm wondering if the engineers who develop the torque specs have factored this in already, and do we just mount the barrel nut wrench in-line with the torque wrench?
No, the engineers haven't factored this in already, because they can't control how much length a given person would be adding to the lever arm. One guy uses an adapter that adds 2", one guy uses one that adds 6"...no way for an engineer to account for that, so instead they tell you what to do, which is apply a certain amount of torque.

Up to the user to comply, and to know how to comply.

Reactions: Naaman
Just turn the barrel nut wrench/crow foot 90 degrees to the wrench body and no calculation needed.
That's what I figured was meant by the 90 degrees thing. Thanks.

Adding length will increase torque. An engineer told me ref the 90 degree changes roughly 5%, in regards to an AR barrel nut-not enough to worry about given the torque range with a standard barrel nut. If the 5% matters, let's use a 40 foot pounds and that changes to 42, so even if the manufacturer specifies 40 and yo ended with 42, most likely in the area of the accuracy of the torque tool itself. Yeah, I get it, tool is off at 5% and at straight so now we are at 10%, rabbit hole.

For length