• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Work in Progress - what you think?

CharlieTN

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2010
Tenneseee, USA
I'm working on modifying my MKII FV. Mounted it in a Boyd's Tacticool, bedded the action, and now I'm ready to paint it.

Here's the rifle:
SavageMKIIFVTrugloTacticoolBlacka.jpg

And here's the camo pattern I'm working on:
Paintedsunshade.jpg

I'll be doing the entire rifle,including scope.

Started with a base of tan krylon, then sponged on some green, then brown, then a wee bit of black and finally hit a few tan highlights to give it more depth. I'm not going for cool, just want a pattern that will work well. I live in east Tennessee.

Thanks for the input.

Charlie

Re: Work in Progress - what you think?

It will be interesting to see how your camo concept looks when applied to the whole rifle.

Forgot to mention that the camo'd item shown is a 5" sunshade for the scope. Help give it some scale. I did a set of tripod sticks in the same pattern and really have been happy with it so wanted to try something larger before tackling the whole rifle.

Charlie

Dang Charlie, that's looking pretty hot. Are you planning on using some sort of primer on the synthetic shock before shooting with the Krylon?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Situation Normal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dang Charlie, that's looking pretty hot. Are you planning on using some sort of primer on the synthetic shock before shooting with the Krylon? </div></div>

Actuall the stock is the Boyd's Tacticool which is laminated wood with a painted on finish already.

I'm going to clean the stock with alcohol to make sure there's no grease on it but in my limited experience the krylon should stick pretty good to the finish on there. If not, then I'll strip and do it again.

This stuff really is quite easy. Now, the various digital patterns or those requiring stencils, those are hard. I'll stick to the "faux painting." LOL

Charlie

Looks good man. Can't wait to see the final <span style="text-decoration: line-through">product</span> faux painted rifle!

Charlie, What kind of sponge did you use and where did you get them. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VTR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Charlie, What kind of sponge did you use and where did you get them. Thanks </div></div>

It was a 4-pack of basic cellulose cleaning sponges. The kind without the abrasive on them. Cost like $2.00 or something from Wally World. I cut the sponge up into roughly 1"-1 1/4" wide pieces and went to town. To do this with the krylon I would spray some paint on to a plastic lid and them dab the end of the sponge into that. Worked very good. You have to be careful with Krylon though, it dries very quickly but when you put wet krylon onto dry krylon, you can smear the dry layer.

I'm going to take some pics throughout the process of painting the rifle and I'll post a thread about it.

Charlie

You have inspired me! I am going to attempt the same kind of paint job this weekend, little different color pattern but same concept. Do you plan on adding a flat clear coat after the camo pattern is finished?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have inspired me! I am going to attempt the same kind of paint job this weekend, little different color pattern but same concept. Do you plan on adding a flat clear coat after the camo pattern is finished? </div></div>

Definitely adding the flat clear coat.

By all means give it a try. It's is so much easier than you would think. Bunch of fun too.

Charlie

Will make a trip to wally world to get some spnges and OD green, I have the rest. I will attack this project sat night. With the help of my friend Capt. Morgan I may work up the balls to paint my scope to...
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...With the help of my friend Capt. Morgan I may work up the balls to paint my scope to...</div></div>

Watch out for my buddy the Captain there... He's a nasty little bugger who likes to take over just when you think that things are going so well...
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Situation Normal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...With the help of my friend Capt. Morgan I may work up the balls to paint my scope to...</div></div>

Watch out for my buddy the Captain there... He's a nasty little bugger who likes to take over just when you think that things are going so well...
grin.gif
</div></div>

The good Capt will have you painting more than just your scope if you're not careful.

On a side not, be sure to post your results. I painted some blocks of wood and a set of tripod sticks before I tried the sunshade from the scope. Happy with all of that so I'll give the whole rifle a go. Also, my scope was less than $100 so I'm not cringing too bad to paint it.

Charlie

Thanks for the info, Good Luck on painting(or daubing) the paint on.